free hit
counters
Something different - Page 3 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Something different

Hmm 🤔 in the 60s Porsche had the 356 and 912 with air cooled flat 4 and the 911 with the air cooled flat 6. I am going to discount the flat 6, since no-one else really used them and you say the car is not fast at all. So that leaves the air cooled flat 4 in a German car, so I can’t look much beyond a VW Beetle, or derivative thereof. As for the competition element? Herbie? 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Well this is certainly brightening up my meeting-filled afternoon. 🙂

30 minutes ago, Arregueti said:

Hm. I guess the rotary engined Mercedes C111 is out of budget. 🙂

Another great suggestion! Anyone up for crowd funding?😁

Michael, you're right about the aircooling. But there is one major assumption that has got you (and the others) on a completely wrong track. As for the competition, that was about market share in post-war Germany, not on the track. Porsche pulled out, the other brand is still going strong after more than 150 years (and several mergers and acquisitions).

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM

1408150326_Fotosleep.thumb.jpg.f586d9275f7aa0125fec3d72e667a94c.jpg

You'll have to guess the brand for me to owe you another beer. 😉

We pulled it out of the shed at around 10h, towed it to the Workshop, gave it a wash and an oil change, checked if the engine was turning, nothing nesting in the airfilter or cooler and then tried to start it. No luck, starter wouldn't turn. Hooked it up to the Range Rover again for a tug and that did the trick. Just after 11h it drove into the Shop under it's own power. 😎 Half an hour later the starter was fixed as well. We just need to find new hood ornaments to restore it to former glory and have a good look at the elektrickery for the lights.

Best of all, I'm doing this with a good mate who is passionate about tractors and we really enjoyed bringing this one back to life. I probably wont keep it, no place to store it and nowhere to put it to work. We expect to make a bit of a profit that will go into future projects and we promised to drive it back to the old lady that sold it, should be a fun drive.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Well. Being gteen and German, that must be a Fendt!

Am I right?

Edit to add: You may want to change the tyres, too. You definitely went for the underdog, here. Green and red wheels sounds like a proper starting point for a Lotus, too.

• Gold FFM

Nope, not a Fendt.

We were very happy to find the rear tyres in good shape, as those are quite expensive. I'd hate to have to replace some of the proper big ones on a modern tractor! The fronts have some dry cracks, but nothing too bad. In fact, all 4 still had pressure after sitting for several years. The picture was taken just outside the shed, before we did anything but clear the cobwebs.

• Gold FFM

Yes, a Deutz Fahr D4005, with a 35hp 3 cylinder engine. I like underdogs, especially if they have a history. Like Lotus.

I don't think the Ardennes will be a good idea. Might take a while to get there. 🙂 I am planning to do a castle route there, but with the Esprit and probably with a friend with another Esprit.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • Gold FFM

Yesterday we collected a boot full of goodies for a next project. We (I) wont start in earnest 'till next year, as I really want to finish my Range Rover first. The TVR will probably be pushed back to the end of the queue, the Jag will surely soldier on and the Deutz will be put to use whenever I need to shuffle cars (and will keep up the old skool image). 

218240831_2021-10-1010_04_33.thumb.jpg.eb9e3f8e2828880f9f4888529fe86c0b.jpg

I might have bought another Range Rover as well, A 1992 Classic. Already have a buyer lined up for that one, just need to sort it.

Filip

Filip

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
6 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Bloodyhell that’s brave.

It's also been called crazy, guess it's a very thin line. 😄

• Haha 2