free hit
counters
What’s going on here then? - Ebay UK - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

What’s going on here then?

eeyoreish

Clearly a facelift SA car (so 1988 on) but wearing the plates from a 1985 car and showing as registered with DVLA as an ‘85...

Wrong car on the wrong plates? or something else?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lotus-Excel-rare-Auto/133650267376?hash=item1f1e2d3cf0:g:4jcAAOSw1JhgEuSn

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

No. DVLA is showing it as actually first registered in 1985, not just wearing an older plate. Either someone has gone to a lot of trouble to update an earlier car or it’s just not the right car...

It could be something suspicious such as re-shelled car (even though the shell f these is the chassis so cannot be re-shelled), a stolen car on another car's V5c, etc. It could be legitimate but I cannot as yet think how, if it was a recent import that would explain the first MoT being 2010 but not explain the first registered in 1985 (unless that reflects registered elsewhere such as Ireland and they got the year wrong).

Im selling one of my classic cars ,this car starts and drives very well, will take very little money to get it perfect subframes sound no rott, a very rare car sunroof and leather and a Auto plus electric windows, any more questions tel 07851741527 can deliver consider px only 59,000 miles, could you please not email as im selling for a friend who has no ebay account so please dont email me because i wont be able to answer your questions sorry just tel 07851741527 you can make offer and if you want to hear it running can send vidio if ring or text the number thanks

Wording a bit suspicious

Shame, nice looking car.

As Chris pointed out, he's selling some of his classic car collection but he's also selling it for a friend.  Which is it?  If you emailed him with a question, why couldn't he just ask his friend?  if he doesn't know much about it, why would you want to phone him for more information?   Odd.

• Like 1

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

£8,000! For a 'restoration project' Excel SA. Even when it is back on the road, it is not worth that. If it were very clean, lowish mileage with full history - it might be worth £10k to £12k. 

A home restoration enthusiast might pay £3k for it and even that is too much. If you gave that car to LotusBits or SW Lotus, your bill is going to be huge - and those chaps are good value.

Justin 

Picture of the engine bay this time- looks like a SE what has been disconnected on the far side of the pic - 2 pipes.

I did contact the dealer via eBay just to highlight the anomaly and suggest that he checks he hasn’t bought a wrong’un. He replied to say all the numbers on the car matched the paperwork but he was ‘expecting more paperwork for the car’.

There could be a reasonable explanation but it’s difficult to see what it could be.