free hit
counters
Fuel filler neck upgrade? - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Fuel filler neck upgrade?

Jims

I have a 1984 Lotus and live in the states and  I have a hard time at the gas station filling up my car.  If I don't fill it super slow it ends up spilling out. I'm not sure if this is everywhere or maybe the pumps in the US have a different nozzle with emissions?   Has anyone updated the fuel collar to something  more modern to work with the newer gas pumps.   The gas neck is easy to get to and a spacer could be added from behind to keep the gas cap from not sticking out too far on the car.    The cover unscrews and it just fiberglass so I think it would be easy to swap it to another tank.   

Any thought or suggestions for a replacement fuel collar?

Jim

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I've owned my Esprit since 1987, and I remember that I had find the correct angle to get the pump to fill faster than a trickle. If I remember correctly, I angled it with the handle towards the front of the car, nozzle towards the back (or it might have been the other way around), but there definitely is a way of speeding up the filling of the tank - not full speed mind. We don't have the ability to lock the handle here, so you have to keep the lever pressed - probably 1/2 to 3/4.

In the UK, this has now changed, and I seem to be able to fill at full speed by just sticking the nozzle straight in the filler. No idea why, different nozzle maybe?

Let us know how you get on.

Chris

PS. If you haven't already posted picture of your car, we would love to see it.

PPS. Even if you have posted pictures, we can never have too many :thumbsup:

I used to have the same issue when I first bought mine.  The fuel used to spiral out if you put it in too fast.   US fuel pumps are seriously slow compared to UK ones, not that that makes much difference.  The trick is to learn how far in and at what angle to hold the pump.  It's a question of start slow, find the right angle and speed up...

6 minutes ago, ChrisJ said:

Great colo(u)r :thumbsup:

What's the interior?

A lot of work done in here.   I bought new carpets I haven't put them in yet. 

116585887_10158432609803972_6912644122927386595_o.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jims said:

I'm not sure if this is everywhere or maybe the pumps in the US have a different nozzle with emissions?   Has anyone updated the fuel collar to something  more modern to work with the newer gas pumps.

Your difficulties, for sure, have to do with the latest gas pumps.  These incorporate a rubber bellows to reduce fuel fumes' release.

We have that stuff in the state of NJ, which REALLY slows down the Esprit's refueling. When traveling, the areas that don't have the rubber cover, fill properly. (Meaning you can leave the pump on automatic and it will flow out of the other side if you happen to remove the cap to speed up the fill.)🥴

The things that help, are removing the opposite side cap to let the fumes escape there 😇, and angling the nozzle toward the front as previously stated. Also, I noticed that one side seems to be more forgiving, so that's the side I usually fill from. Finally, sticking a finger on the edge of the bellows to prevent a good seal really helps. (Just don't lick your finger afterwards) 😂

My usual gas station guy allows me to fill myself, even though self-serve is illegal in NJ. That should tell you something about the amount of time it takes. 😇

Regards spilling, I usually stop filling when I run out of patience. That gets me to 3/4 - Full, which is fine for me unless we are ready to go on a trip.

+++++++++++++

PS:  GREAT interior!

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

I've tried it with the other cap off and didn't seem to change anything.   Maybe if I put a funnel on the other side it would open it up and make it easier to vent?  Its the back pressure the gas pump senses and thats what causes it to stop?

Do your best to angle the tip of the nozzle to align with the bore of the filler neck. For me (on the left side) that's tilting the nozzle about 45 degrees clockwise from vertical and getting the tip in as far as possible. Every spring I forget and get a gaseous geyser down the side of the car on the first fill-up.

Pump nozzle shuts off when the liquid level rises to the end of the nozzle, where a small hole sees liquid rather than vapor and triggers the valve. Not related to the pressure in the tank.

19 hours ago, Jims said:

Its the back pressure the gas pump senses and thats what causes it to stop?

Venturi Effect.

https://www.scienceabc.com/pure-sciences/how-does-the-gas-pump-automatically-shut-off-when-the-tank-is-full.html

Basically, if the fuel does flow and the nozzle becomes immersed in gasoline, it will shut off. The contorted path of the Esprit's neck is a factor.

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA