free hit
counters
New member - considering a return to Lotus - Introductions - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

New member - considering a return to Lotus

Paul_D

Hi all,

I've been spending a bit of time on here recently, so thought I may as do a little introduction.

I'm a life long car enthusiast, and I enjoy doing the odd track day. My previous car history went like this:

BMW M3 (e36)

BMW M3 (e46) - Modified with big brakes, coilovers, uprated ARB's. Made it a lot better on track, but not so good on the road.

At that point I decided to get a BMW 320d for daily duties, and something a bit more suitable for track days:

spacer.png

spacer.png

It was a 2008 Elise SC in Persian Blue. No mods required to make that better on track, although I did get a set of Team Dynamics wheels with wider front tyres for it...

spacer.png

After 2 years of fun, I decided to go back to having a single 'all-rounder' car, as having two cars on my small driveway was a bit of a pain. (I kept upgrading my cars when I should have been upgrading my house!)

I got a Porsche Cayman S, then an Audi R8, and then my current car which is a Porsche 911 Carrera 4S. 

I did track days in all of them, but if I'm honest the expense was just too great, especially with the R8 and 911. They're fast, but heavy, and the tyres and brakes are consumed at a rate higher than my pay packet was comfortable with. I therefore haven't done a trackday for a little while now, and have been considering going back to a two car garage. Quite recently, my workplace has set up a salary sacrifice scheme for leasing electric cars. So that's what I've decided to do. I am now waiting for my very boring electric Peugeot e-2008 to be made and delivered.

Once it's close to arriving, I can swap the 911 for a 'proper' weekend and track day fun car. Top of my list of possible options is a V6 Exige, hence lots of reading on this forum. I'd initially started looking at the early cars, then at the 350 Sports, and now I keep thinking that I should maybe just go all out with a 410 Sport and enjoy it while I can.  

Cheers,

Paul.

• Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi and welcome Paul - Mission creep sounds like it's well and truly set in! You know about the 430 Cup right? :lol:

• Haha 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• 1 month later...

Nice, congratulations. When's it coming?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Not really sure yet. It’s 200 miles away from where I live, so I need to decide if I collect or get it delivered. 

Waiting on a quote for delivery from the dealer at the moment. 

Have had 2vehicles delivered in lock down,1 a lotus,and both were delivered in the price

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Yeah, I’m sure many have been.

They said delivery was only included up to 60 miles. 

To be honest, I was already happy with the price I was paying for the car and I genuinely believe it was likely to get snapped up by someone else if I didn’t get the deal done. I wasn’t going to risk losing it negotiating over delivery cost. 

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

ah lowestoft !! had a couple of stints at slp back in the day then several years offshore, i used an online site where you state what you want shipped from a to b then you get ppl bidding for the job, in the end though one of the guys was 5 mins from me and i knew him so i paid him to transport my evora

IMG_20210326_153633_982[1].jpg

Ah, there's quite a few 'engineering type' people in Lowestoft who have worked at SLP at some point. 

Yeah, I did get some quotes off Shiply, but they were still around the £350 mark.

I made the decision to go a collect in person. I'm off to collect tomorrow.

• Like 2

You wouldn't happen to live in the Carlton Colville area would you? I sometimes run past a house with an Exige on the drive. 

5 hours ago, pete said:

looks a tight fit for that garage

There's no chance it's going in the garage. When I moved in I had a choice between trying to make it a 'working' garage or a 'car storage' garage. I went for the former. 

Garage 1 (Medium).jpg

Garage 2 (Medium).jpg

Garage 3 (Medium).jpg

• Like 2

Looks a bit too organised for most garages??

It’s the engineer in me, I can’t help it. It does make life easier when you can find a tool in 5 seconds instead of 5 minutes though!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to TLF Paul.

Car looks great as does your working garage.

Any questions or issues with using the forums, feel free to ask one of us mods. We're here to help. :) 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.