free hit
counters
Seat belt pass through finisher - B075V0612K - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Seat belt pass through finisher - B075V0612K

Hi all,

My car is missing these plastic inserts, which act as a finisher where the seat belts pass through the bulkhead. I understand that the same part was used for all Esprits. They are, like lots of Esprit bits, classified as no longer available. SJ Sportscars can sell me some but the cost, including shipping to Australia is prohibitive.

Here's a link to the part:
https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and-accessories/B075V0612K.htm?currency\u003d5

I want to model them so that I can 3D print them. It would be a very easy part for me to model and reproduce. However, I don't have an example to hold in my hands and measure.

If someone has one of these parts and can spare the time to measure the various dimensions with some calipers, I would be extremely grateful. Furthermore, once I have modelled this part I promise to make it available on Thingiverse for free so that everyone can benefit.

Many Thanks,
Keir

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Dunno, mate, whilst your initiative is appreciated it's also true that good sorts such as those at SJ have troubled themselves to see us supplied with replacements. If these little bits seem expensive perhaps the broader maintenance needs of a Lotus will be too great? Too many of these prized cars have suffered into decline out of neglect, IMO.

Cheers

I don't know whether the part (B075V0612K) that SJ is selling is an original piece or something that they've put time and effort into re-manufacturing. If it's the former then it will eventually run out and having it modelled and freely available is good for the long term prospects of the community. If it's the latter then there's certainly no harm in providing other options. Doing so should not be seen as an insult or an affront to SJ. I've bought parts from them in the past just like most others here and appreciate their service.

As an industrial designer I have an interest, and certain skills, which make me inclined to develop solutions where possible. My reluctance to spend more than $100 on two small plastic pieces reveals more about my sanity than it does about my financial situation.

I'm also a long term owner of two classic Lotus cars and neither are being neglected. In the Esprit's case, I've been making every effort to return it to as close to original condition as possible (constrained by part availability) after previous owner(s) have made their own modifications and customisations.

Perhaps this forum community will not be a good fit for me or my attitude. Regardless, I will endeavour to model this part and make it available so that others can benefit either now or in the future.

Kind Regards,
Keir

• Like 2

@Kier I'm with you on this. Some small parts can appear to be somewhat expensive. This is likely due to the costs of the initial setting up of the production method and cost of a run of items. If more options are available it'll offer a choice which is always a good thing.

I hope you get the info you need 🙂

It's getting there......

23 hours ago, TAR said:

@Kier I'm with you on this. Some small parts can appear to be somewhat expensive. This is likely due to the costs of the initial setting up of the production method and cost of a run of items. If more options are available it'll offer a choice which is always a good thing.

I hope you get the info you need 🙂

I think you meant to tag @Keir rather than @Kier 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

so if I understand it correctly we need to buy parts from the suppiers because they are so nice to supply us with parts and to keep them in business so they can keep supplying us with parts in the future?   I think they are in it for the money.  it's a lotus, DIY is part of the fun to keep them on the road.  I don't like to throw money in it on parts I can make myself.  in this case I would make them out of aluminium and paint them black. good enough for me. (jm2c) 

• Like 1

Don't know if they are but they look remarkably similar to mini ones.

https://minikingdomonline.com.au/product/plastic-surround-for-seat-belt-mini-1977-1978/

Would be nice to know if they are. They might be easier to find.

One thing is for sure they will be from another car.

• Gold FFM

I have bought an SJ one, they are fiberglass reproduction and so thicker than the original which I think was made in an ABS plastic. It therefore requires a fair amount of finishing to get it to fit well. I think if we could 3D print these with much more similar dimensions to the original, that would be very useful. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's amazing what the 3D printer has done for the old car hobby. I have seen a few of Jay Leno's Garage videos on YouTube and he is often making obsolete parts in plastic using a 3D printer to check fitment, before having them cast in metal. Very cool :)

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Outstanding to see!

Perhaps a link to this thread might be listed in the Miscellaneous parts section for additional ease of accessibility.

Cheers,

Scott

1986 Esprit HCI (Bosch-injected)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Keir, Mark in Brisbane. Like you I play with 3D and have just finished making the black surrounds for side mirrors on a 1981 S3. I reckon $1 in ASA to mske. Will put up on thingiverse in next week if I get the chsnce. Ideally I would print it in ASA. Also going to try the black frames around the rear quarter windows and vents located on each of the buttresses inside the engine bay next...what else is out there? Reproducing in ASA or PETG will be far superior to the original ABS and cost nothing.  regards Mark

• Like 2