free hit
counters
Ummm... Battery? - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Ummm... Battery?

Go to solution Solved by RHDV8,

Hey guys, hoping this is a battery issue.

Went to start my car today got a clock from the rear near side and nothing else. Check engine light on. I connected the OBD, No codes detected. I know you can't answer conclusively from this evidence but if anyone has had a failing battery, could this be a sign of such? Every car I've had previous would show signs (interior lights dim, show cranking before giving up). This just said 'click' and everything else looks fine.

I presume it's fine to try to jump start it just to have a go even if I'm not sure it's the battery? I want to have a go before it dies completely and I need to try the rip cord...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Still looks great even if its beat up a little. I hope the poor kid who lost it got a new one! (I have about 10 that I keep in the boot to hand out to kids who show interest my car

Hopefully it's not terminal. 

Good to know they found the problem and you have have worry free fun again.

Posted Images

Dead battery all day I think. Get a new one on order, once they're gone they're gone! 

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Thanks Bibs. I haven't been to the garage this year yet, they must be missing me 🤣

• Haha 1

I used these people for mine - https://www.thebatteryguys.co.uk/ - good price and good service :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I'd love to be more positive about it but... 

• Haha 1

Evora NA

13 hours ago, Bibs said:

Dead battery all day I think. Get a new one on order, once they're gone they're gone! 

Is there any reasoning as to “when they’re gone” on an Evora 🙄 as on my previous cars I found that a battery could be revived/life extended sometimes for a long time by putting it on charge for a decent duration.

Edited by Phillv6
  • Gold FFM
5 minutes ago, RHDV8 said:

For assault and battery?

For starters 

You're just postponing the inevitable and seeing as they tend to rocket off a cliff rather than gradually decline, you're risking being stuck somewhere inconvenient with no power for the sake of £75. 

Evora NA

Oh Brother Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

Lockdown getting to anyone much? :lol:

• Like 1

Evora NA

Be very careful if you try to jump start an Evora. If you have the key in the ignition while you apply outside voltage, you can corrupt the ECU and get a (fatal) "COMMS ERR". 

The way to avoid this is to keep the key away from the vehicle until you have the jump box connected. Then  proceed to grab the key and start the vehicle. The ECU is extremely sensitive to voltage spikes and is powered up when the key is in the ignition in ANY position.

Originally, this error would cause you to have to purchase a new and very expensive ECU. However, the ECU can now be recovered by Lotus but is still a very costly procedure.

It has happened to several owners over here before it was learned what had actually caused the issue (all common with owners trying to jump start their vehicles).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, 2011 Chrome Orange said:

Be very careful if you try to jump start an Evora. If you have the key in the ignition while you apply outside voltage, you can corrupt the ECU and get a (fatal) "COMMS ERR". 

The way to avoid this is to keep the key away from the vehicle until you have the jump box connected. Then  proceed to grab the key and start the vehicle. The ECU is extremely sensitive to voltage spikes and is powered up when the key is in the ignition in ANY position.

Originally, this error would cause you to have to purchase a new and very expensive ECU. However, the ECU can now be recovered by Lotus but is still a very costly procedure.

It has happened to several owners over here before it was learned what had actually caused the issue (all common with owners trying to jump start their vehicles).

Thanks, that's gold information (like your car!). Big thanks for the heads up!

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM
34 minutes ago, RHDV8 said:

It wasn’t outside a fish and chip shop was it?
Sorry couldn’t resist.

Well, it's got chips............

• Haha 1