free hit
counters
Speedo cable drive gear woes - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Hello,

Can anyone enlighten me as to how to remove the speedo cable from the drive end fitting (shown)

I have pulled it and there is some movement, but it won't separate.

Thanks

Brian

DSCN6322.JPG

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorted - the inner wire has a square keyed end that slides into a slot in the gear shaft. Normally the gear shaft just pulls off. But not if it is rusted on!! I've attached a few photos to show h

Posted Images

Sorted - the inner wire has a square keyed end that slides into a slot in the gear shaft. Normally the gear shaft just pulls off. But not if it is rusted on!!

I've attached a few photos to show how it is all put together

DSCN 6323 shows the assembled drive. The gear should just pull out.

DSCN 6324 shows the disconnected drive. 

DSCN 6325 shows the outer sheath pulled back to reveal a circlip around the end fitting. This clip stops this end from going inside the outer sheath. It also stops the gear shaft and inner cable from being pulled out of the top of the fitting

DSCN 6356 shows the circlip removed

DSCN 6327 shows the inner cable pulled out of the top of the fitting. There is nothing stopping this from happeneing at the other end

DSCN 6328 shows the inner cable fitting separated from the gear shaft. This end has a small ket that goes into the slot at the end of the gear shaft for positive rotation. I don't know if you can see it. 

This keyed end was rusted firmly into the slot. Lots of WD-40, Jentolite rust treatment, a flame from the kitchen gas hob and a big hammer and chisel sorted it!

DSCN6328.JPG

DSCN6327.JPG

DSCN6326.JPG

DSCN6325.JPG

DSCN6324.JPG

DSCN6323.JPG

• Like 2