free hit
counters
Rare 1978 Esprit St Tropez for sale - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Rare 1978 Esprit St Tropez for sale

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just saw this is for sale by auction on Catawiki. 15 days to go Never seen one offered for sale ever. Located in France. ( I have nothing to to with the car or the auction, --- worse luck!)  

I'm trying to find something nice in that photo. Interesting three-pointed street lamp.......... Justin  

Posted Images

Don't know how many of these were created, but have seen one at least twice before at Lotus / club lotus days/ Brands Hatch. Can't remember if it/they were RHD/LHD though.

Jep - how about in gold.

• Haha 1
  • Gold FFM

A blue one is photographed in Jeremy Walton book from the 90s, pictured at a Club Lotus event in 1990.

1162417437_EspritconvertiblefromWaltonbook.thumb.jpg.269a060f48d4a3531bc075500bfa7d90.jpg

1 minute ago, jep said:

A blue one is photographed in Jeremy Walton book from the 90s, pictured at a Club Lotus event in 1990.

Well that makes 2, I have defo seen a white one at a show somewhere.

1 minute ago, jep said:

Any number is too many.

Justin

Justin,. what do you think of the elan +2 convertible that I seem to recall was done many years ago by  C Neil? Certainly seen at castle combe.

• Gold FFM

@exeterjeep I was not a fan of the +2 convertible BUT more so because I think the Elan+2 is one of the prettiest cars ever made. I did not look at one up-close but I think Christopher Neil were still offering the service to 'chop' the+2 when I first got bitten by the ACBC bug in 1992. Christopher Neil had a long reputation with Lotus, so I always assumed it was a decent job. And it was by no means ugly.

What I personally have never understood and I will never be convinced by is a non-Lotus chassis on a Lotus. I had a Europa type 72 once with a Spyder chassis. Nothing much wrong with it in road use but I just never gelled with the car because to me, the chassis is the majority of what a Lotus is. I don't even like non-Lotus suspension parts, I removed the GAZ from my Elise S1 (previous owner fitted, only 10,000 miles before).

Justin

Maybe they look better when standing next to them. But the shot above the blue one makes my agree with Justin. Perhaps an even bigger rear wing to help disguise it.  Looks like there are more then I expected and they may have been done by different companies.

• Gold FFM

I’ve seen the blue one in the flesh and quite liked it. I certainly wouldn’t pick one over a standard car though. 

A Lotus is for driving, pork is for breakfast.

• Gold FFM

It also brings back memories of having driven the TVR wedge convertible, which was a deeply unpleasant experience. All I could think of as I drove it was Simon Le Bon on loop in my head with 'fffflex, ffflex, flex' from the Nile Rodgers remix of 'The Reflex':

137016063_TVRwedgeconvertible.jpg.197e4a4983d31d44ba5880e71abb5a71.jpg

The one for sale looks to be based on an S2 and I think that's why it looks a bit odd. Without the angles of the Turbo sills and front spoiler the proportions are just way out. It looks anorexic but with a fat arse.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

It is the first St Tropez made by PBB. Last time seen it advertised for sale around 2007 in a very sorry state.102907601_3.jpg.2e5802f9986b9c3c0422ecac4e1ed5ce.jpg

Looks like a decent made frame off restoration to me from the pictures.
Also interior looks well made.
Softtop will need a refresh.
Conversion to LHD executed now.

Sills would be helpful for the overall appearance.
Curious for how much it will sell.

Website with information and pictures PBB St Tropez convertible Esprit:

http://www.lotusespritconvertible.de/

IMG_3526_Internet.thumb.jpg.79e75fef5cdfeb53229deee26c732cbc.jpg

I always loved the look because it is so 80s!
Yep, that was mine for 9 years. Its the car in Jeremy Waltons book.
A friend of mine had seen it in Donington 2007 for sale and sent me some pictures.
Took a flight the next weekend and bought it.
Dealer fixed a couple of small items and two weeks later we drove it in two days to south Bavaria.
It is an awesome experience to drive an Esprit open in summertime.
The chassis is very stiff and there were reinforcements inside, e.g. in the sills and the A pillars, no flex flex flex I can assure you.

In the pictures above the white TurboEsprit with the red stripes is a one off made by Kollinger in Germany.

The red GHB 550V above is shown in two pictures, found not long ago in a backyard, overgrown, curious if somebody will rescue that one.
The other pictures represent the two blue cars made.
Overall I would say 6 or 7 cars were made.
If you are interested have a look on my website in the link below

• Like 1

Website with information and pictures PBB St Tropez convertible Esprit:

http://www.lotusespritconvertible.de/

• Gold FFM

I had seen the advert before this topic and must admit I'm very tempted. I'm looking for an open car to enjoy the summer. Last years Spitfires have been sold, not sad about that as while not a bad car they just don't get my pulse racing. I would like another Stag, and have been looking at TVR and Jags as well.

But a St Tropez is something else again! And would let me stay with Lotus. I think the car is special and rare enough to warrant a high price and current beids are very reasonable (assuming condition is as advertised). Only downside is I like to drive my cars as much as possible and that might not be the best plan as usage could serously reduce the value.

5 days left to make up my mind...

Filip

• Like 2

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM

It didn't sell, reserve not met.

Anyone know how much it got to? I was too busy in the Workshop to keep an eye on the auction...

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Rolf said:

39.000€

I should have put in a bid...

Love it or hate it, it's a pretty cool piece of Esprit history. I quite like it although in the UK it'd be ridiculously impractical!

• Like 1

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

• Gold FFM
5 hours ago, Escape said:

I should have put in a bid...

Didn't meet the reserve !

Looking for my first Lotus - A Giugiaro design Turbo Esprit - Message me if you know of one or considering selling yours

I like them a lot, must be great to drive in the alps in one of them.  Rolf you are lucky to have owned one! 

• Like 2
  • Gold FFM
18 hours ago, Bling said:

Didn't meet the reserve !

I'll try and see if it comes up again.

Often, when the reserve is not met but the highest bid is close, the bidder gets contacted afterwards and a deal is made anyway. I do hope the car goes to a good home and gets driven/shown.

Filip