Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
If you didn’t get the Evora what else were you considering? - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

If you didn’t get the Evora what else were you considering?

Celica

I’m still looking for a Launch Edition or equivalent with +2 and the multiple packs. As with lockdown I’m in no rush so keeping eyes out. 

Part of me misses the brilliant K20 engine found in Honda Type R’s and going for one of sort and saving a bit of money. Although the JDM FD2 are hard to come by too. High revving, NA, Manual, space for kids. 

interested to hear what else you were considering at the time. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Well I bought an e92 M3 due to the engine and handling. I love it it’s fabulous but I still want an evora also as a weekend toy. I feel the 92 will start to climb in value already seeing nice once demand more money now as the seem to come in two flavours of shite or well cared for examples. 

I was also considering a Maserati gransport, again mainly for the engine, and I like the looks too. They seem to be pretty reliable also.

• Like 2

I've had 2 Granturismos, the 4.2 and the 4.7. Yes, the sound and looks are stunning, but the dynamics don't come close to the Evora.

Watch out for the depreciation as well!

• Like 1

Thought provoking question. And the chat about engines has made me realise that the engine is not a primary concern for me when choosing a car, not even a sports car. 

And of course with Lotus, you are paying for ride, handling, steering and dynamics. If you get a sexy engine, that is a bonus. I love the K series in the S1 Elise - and I would not even make it louder. 190bhp K is fab in Exige/340R but S1 118bhp is just perfection. Light, revy, reliable. 

I have driven a few F's and P's. As I don't much like the steering and feel of those cars, the engine becomes irrelevant to me. V8 in the 928 is nice but frankly too thirsty and too heavy.

McLaren F1 always appealed as you probably get the best of all worlds. I suspect T50 will be the same. In the real world for me, I would always choose a nimble chassis over an inspiring engine. 

Perhaps why BMW have always been off my radar. Engines are their thing and by all accounts are fab (Mc F1!) but it is not enough to overcome bulk that I find highly disagreeable in any car. Give me a 150bhp/200bhp feather hatch over a 3 series.

Justin

• Like 1

When I bought my first Evora I wasn't looking at anything. I just went past the Lotus dealer on a tram one day. Saw this magnificent red Evora. Went "what the fcuk is that" with my face stuck to the window like a 5 year old". Got home. Googled Lotus. Found out it was a car called an Evora. Phoned the dealer straight away and placed a deposit there and then.  Transferred the balance the next day and arranged a small amount of finance (for the protection) for the rest.  Arrived at dealer three days later. Had a quick test drive to "learn the car". Then took it home!  One of the best things I ever did.

So the answer to what else was I considering is, nothing!

Can't be bothered with all the faffing about some people on here seem to go to lol :)

• Like 2

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

I was considering replacing my VE-series VXR8 with a newer VF-series VXR8.

It occurred to me at the time that I hadn’t had both kids in the car simultaneously for ages, let alone both kids + Mrs mik. Her car was always used for full family duties.

That’s when I realised I could “get away with” an Evora. Had always loved them. Looked at 911s too of course (the +2 capability was always a draw - even if only for extra storage) but the same money bought something a lot older, and less interesting. 

• Like 2

At 12 Y/O my dad borrowed an Excel off a workmate whilst said workmate was doing some work on Mums Mini. Wanted a Lotus since then. Finally bought one in my early 30's.

Always been Lotus, but Elise/Exige/Europa all too small. 

Watched the project Eagle take shape, saw the first car at Goodwood, managed to blag a sit in it. Got home, sold Excel and started saving my pennies. So no other cars considered, as Lotus didn't make a full sized car since the Esprit.

Having got the dosh together, my wife made me try a Coxter as half the price of an Evora. I bought my N/A, having seriously annoyed the Porsche salesman by drawing comparisons. 

• Like 2

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

38 minutes ago, Colin P said:

I bought my N/A, having seriously annoyed the Porsche salesman by drawing comparisons

Did you point out the two seats in the back?

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

I was mulling over a few different (second hand) 2+2 coupes. Even though I have always been a car nut and had an old Lotus in the garage, the Evora had somehow slipped off my radar as an option in my price range. I suddenly had a Eureka moment, checked Autotrader on the Thursday evening, found a car that fitted the bill, convinced the missus (easy to do with Aquamarine/oyster), called the dealer on the Friday, off for viewing and test drive Saturday morning and immediately handed over deposit. So less than two days from first thought to paying deposit.

Two years later, I also got back what I paid for it, which wouldn’t have happened with my other options.

• Like 1

We are talking about 8-9 years ago, so it is probably not relevant to the OP, but here is my "process".

I shortly considered a Subaru BRZ when I started looking at a "momentum" sporty car where I could carry the family (I also had an NB Mx-5 and a first generation Rx-7 at the time). I had heard about Project Eagle but the Evora was out of reach for me. I decided to go to the dealer nonetheless. The Evora was tested before the Subaru (due to lack of interest of the Subaru dealer) and that was it. I never tested the Subaru, actually. It took me almost two years to get one, though, after lots of searching throughout Europe and monitoring GBP/EUR exchange rates.

I also considered a 997 911 but, as stated above, I would get less car and substantially more worn, for the same money.

I would have also considered an Rx-8, but I had a first generation Rx-7 at the time (I do love the rotary engines and Mazdas generally).

@jepIMO BMWs are not only about engines. They are certainly no dedicated sports car, but a 3-series is generally above an A4 or C-class in terms of ride and handling and good fun in its own right. In my household there is currently a similarly aged A4 (1.8T) and a six-cilinder 3-series and there is no comparison, IMO, both in terms of engine performance, sound and ride and handling. I would have to concede that I am less and less interested in their current range, though.

@Arregueti of course ref: BMW. Brilliant marque and company. I am sure a lot are first attracted by the engines though. BMW motor-sport pedigree is beyond doubt. Just not my thing as I don't get over-excited specifically about engines. And I have never driven a BMW that has made me think 'I need one of these'. 80's 6 series I drove, I actively disliked. I know someone who has a 2002 turbo........I hope (a) to get the keys someday (b) that I will like it. I love a turbo.

Justin

• Gold FFM

I was a bit eclectic in my research. I looked at:

Porsche Cayman, Alfa 4C, Alfa Giulia (Alfa fan here), Mustang, Maserati GT, um... An Abarth 124 spider (honestly they are fun!), F-Type, Aston V8 Vantage

That's all! Many of these were a bit too far into the heavy GT side of things. The 4c is deeply flawed, the Giulia is lovely and a lively rear end, which I actually really like in a car but I fancied something different to my last car and really wanted a true sports car. Cayman... Was... Nice... But just didn't float my boat. The Aston really was my biggest problem, because... Well it's an Aston...

The Evora ended up fitting my needs the best and honestly, the rear seats were important. I wanted to be able to drive it everywhere whenever I want and that means I needed more than 2 seats.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, C8RKH said:

Did you point out the two seats in the back?

No but I did point out that the fire wall was too close so I couldn't put the seat back far enough.

• Like 2

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

19 hours ago, Colin P said:

Always been Lotus, but Elise/Exige/Europa all too small. 

Agree I would always put a lotus at the top of the list (a short list though), not many Porsches/BMW/Ferrari are made in this country - and have the wrong image. The only non UK  cars I have owned are 2 Jeeps. Did go to look at an MP12-4c but too wide and no McLaren dealers near also the ground clearance down the drive would have been an issue. Suppose one with lift may have coped though. Next car - who knows....

• Like 1

Exactly my thought on McLarens.  Lovely, but not worth the potentially enormous premium over the Evora, to me at least.

Of course, the fact that the majority of chief engineers are ex-Lotus on McLarens is probably why they're so good.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EGTE said:

Exactly my thought on McLarens.  Lovely, but not worth the potentially enormous premium over the Evora, to me at least.

Of course, the fact that the majority of chief engineers are ex-Lotus on McLarens is probably why they're so good.

Indeed so and the similarities are really very evident when driving  a McLaren. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, RHDV8 said:

Don’t all laugh together but how about a Mercedes SLK 55 AMG.

I would think they would be quite fun, just not quite in the same way as an Evora.

Fine if you're a hairdresser.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Bruss said:

Fine if you're a hairdresser.

Ha, ha. 5 1/2 litre V8, 415 bhp and 0-60 in 4.6 seconds. You know some butch hairdressers.

Big V8 in a small car what’s not to like, worked for Carroll Shelby🤨

Edited by RHDV8
  • Like 1