free hit
counters
4 post garage lifts - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Hi all,

I bought my mum a flat in the village where I live and it has a single garage. So I’m looking for a 4 post lift to fit in it, mainly because I want to store two cars.

Problem is that the garage has an up and over door. Normally I would go right ahead and change it, but thats not possible as the covenant states that no one individual can just make changes and also it falls in a conservation area. Aside from the door, the garage has ample height.

Thus I’m looking for one of these that has a low post height, so that the up and over door can get past. The smallest I have seen is one with 2.2m posts. 

I’m guessing I could chop some material off the top of the posts, but this would mean the cables would be too long and I don’t really what to mess about with those.

Anybody help with this?

Cheers
Mark

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry @Mark030358 - did you say the up and over door is broken and in need of replacement?    just get a replacement roller door and fit the thing. Make sure it looks similar.

• Gold FFM

Sorry @Mark030358 - did you say the up and over door is broken and in need of replacement? 

just get a replacement roller door and fit the thing. Make sure it looks similar.

• Like 2

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Have you considered one of these?

http://www.hamercarlift.com/

They are not too tall and are not fixed to the floor. Bit of a faff getting them up and down but very well made. A mate of mine has two and stores two of his Elises on top. 

45 minutes ago, Kevin Wheeler said:

Have you considered one of these?

http://www.hamercarlift.com/

They are not too tall and are not fixed to the floor. Bit of a faff getting them up and down but very well made. A mate of mine has two and stores two of his Elises on top. 

Brilliant that, just watched the video. Elan is only 700 kgs and that will go on top... thanks

• Gold FFM

If you have to keep the up and over door, make sure it can't hit the car on the lift when it's raised! Would be a shame to cause damage and you do need to be able to open the door.

I would not recommend trying to reduce the height of the posts. As you said you'd need to shorten the cables as well and make sure everything can be adjusted correctly. In the previous workshop we modified a 2-poster to make it a bit less wide. One of the side effects was reduced lifting height because the cables were too long.
If you look around you should be able to find low lifts. Especially those aimed at storing cars rather than working on them. Usually those are cheaper as well.

The Hamerlift, while easy and cheap, just doesn't seem user friendly. Having to move it one corner at a time seems like a real PITA. You'd need 2 people to avoid getting dizzy from circling around. The manual safety pins will do their job, but again a lot of faffing about so a very real risk of corners being cut. Also, having used that type of jack off road, I know there not the easiest to use, things can and will stick and things can get dangerous when you have to hit the mechanism to free it. I'd rather pay a bit more for the comfort and peace of mind of an electrical lift. We've had cheap ones in the previous workshop and they did great. Had been used for 7 years until the fire, and I would have replaced like for like if I hadn't been offered a big second hand professional 4-poster at a bargain price.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.