free hit
counters
Maserati Ghibli SS - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Towards the end of last year, I mentioned that my brother’s Maserati Ghibli SS had completed its latest renovation. Anyway, he finally drove it home from the workshop today and here are some photos. I

These are only mobile phone images, so the wide angle lens gives a kind of distorted image with regards to proportions, I.e. lengthened.          

MaseratiLeftMaseratiRight... That’s his Quattroporte GTS on the left. 4.7 litre V8 with 440 bhp.

Posted Images

Rather like that. 👍😊

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

• Gold FFM

Beautifiable car.  When style and dynamics were worth more than pure straight line performance stats.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Very pretty, very similar to the Bitter CD.   I think I prefer it by a tiny bit to the  CD.  Great colour as well.

9a5a822da84e77f47c44783af023139dbe00812f.jpg

Can I ask if your brother has any more pics he will let you post please, maybe even taken during the renovation? 
That car was from a time of real design elegance, with little or no concern about aero wings, spoilers or ducts etc. 
It’s just plain gorgeous!

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing those additional pics. I just love the colour too. 👍

The colour’s not dissimilar to a car a pal of mine had restored around 10 years ago. It was a 1965 Ferrari 500 Superfast with a fabulous V12 motor. 

Must say, I prefer the Maser for looks though.

My pal sold the 500 soon afterwards for a not inconsiderable sum! Interestingly though, he didn’t let the new owners into the secret of the colour origins. It was originally a colour very close to this when supplied to its first owner, Harry Hyams, but somewhere along the way, a subsequent owner had painted it a nasty shade of maroon. My pal wanted it back to original but the closest match he and the restorer could find was from the rather downmarket Hyundai colour palette!  

It was the blue with light tan leather interior that inspired my later similar choice with my Evora  

93EC969D-90ED-4C4F-8E25-A7BAFAB0D9BF.jpeg.9f9fd8af108a74e145a32e9458d4293e.jpeg63C4D390-9564-4BAB-A444-3719FB7D74D4.thumb.jpeg.83ce324387f744a1cc061747927a3fbf.jpeg27C1E6F7-3C83-4FCF-9CD8-0F29A505FE5B.thumb.jpeg.0bd16e5ffcd59e99b1c431ed10a2e732.jpeg83F349BE-9073-4127-9EE5-95556944F9BA.thumb.jpeg.efbfdb00f3a818a4b47a30c01f296ae6.jpeg

The Ghibli colour was also difficult to track down. Lots of swabs and checking of paint in nooks and crannies, so it’s a close as he can get it to original.

That 500 Superfast is also 1 of 8 RHD. Include the one I saw at a local classic car show and we have 25% of total production on here.

Www7XPA.jpg

• Like 1

Just a bit more on some of what the renovation involved. Engine and Weber carbs rebuild. New metal under rear valance. New sills and leading edge of bonnet. Re-chrome bumpers and over-riders. Glass out. Interior out and cleaned. Re-spray in original shade of blue. Put it all back together. 2+ years in total.

• 3 weeks later...

Having once owned a Khamsin for 20 years, a Ghibli compared the a K, as an Italian friend put once put it,  “is truck”. However with power steering and. Brake booster on the clutch makes them much more liveable.

Great cars and I’d rather own a classic Maserati over a F...