free hit
counters
Tyres again (sorry) - go with the obvious choice or........... - Page 2 - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Tyres again (sorry) - go with the obvious choice or...........

• Gold FFM

15% off at Kwik Fit is you buy 4 so that £120 discount. Seems a good deal. Just a bit disappointed with ATS given they are Michelin! :(

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I think for tyres Kwik-Fit should be fine surely?  It's quite a simple job they do day in day out.   You're not asking them to do any complicated diagnostic of a fault on the car, which where I would absolutely not trust them.

Fitting low profile tyres to 19 & 20" alloy wheels is a different skill set to fitting £40 ditchfinders to a 15" steel wheel. Just something to keep an eye on (as well as asking them to use plastic/vinyl tools/fittings, if possible, etc).

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

So, used Kwik Fit before tyres and not had an issue. They even checked with me the correct torque setting I wanted them to use.

My biggest worry is always making sure they use the correct jacking points. However, I am sure they will be insured!

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Speaking about tyres and brands:
I bought a set of 19/20 Evora400 wheels, came with Continental SportContact5, with the front ones almost at the limits but the rears are almost new.

So far, no complaints at all about these tyres, didn't do a track day yet (and no plans for this year), but overall feel and grip is good.
I chose not to mix brands but ordered a set of SportContact6 (235/35/19).

I don't think there are many others running Continental?

• Gold FFM

I've got Conti wintersports on mine (which I need to get switched over) they are pretty decent for winter tyres, can't wait to get some proper tyres on it though.

Kwik Fit et al. as mentioned, main thing is making sure they use the right jack points and don't do things like throwing bolts over the car, or kicking the lift arms under the car because they can't be arsed to bend down to deal with it. They are USUALLY more careful with nice cars because the people who work there often like cars, but you do have to be wary that it's not their garage.

• Gold FFM

When I had my car tyres fitted by ATS they were good in my estimation 

I asked them if they knew where the jacking points were and told them the manual was with the locking tool for wheels 

all in all the two guys doing it were decent so I guess it depends on what staff are employed ? I did ring them up the day before and checked with branch manager that my black circle order was on their system and they knew a lotus was arriving next day 

On 24/03/2021 at 18:33, Peters4 said:

Speaking about tyres and brands:
I bought a set of 19/20 Evora400 wheels, came with Continental SportContact5, with the front ones almost at the limits but the rears are almost new.

So far, no complaints at all about these tyres, didn't do a track day yet (and no plans for this year), but overall feel and grip is good.
I chose not to mix brands but ordered a set of SportContact6 (235/35/19).

I don't think there are many others running Continental?

Do keep in mind that lower thread pattern profile increases top rigidity as well as 1 or 2 years DOT do increase cornering stiffness by about 10%. 

Just a thought when you compare tyres together 😋

By the way, would be great to have your feedback on the Conti SP6. 

• Gold FFM
Posted (edited)

Just got PS4s on mine today switching out from winters. Straight out of the garage they work well which bodes well for after I get some miles on them.

Garage managed to set them to 2.8 bar all round which seemed a little... Excessive...

Edited by TdM
  • Haha 1

Got the new Continental ContiSport6 fronts fitted, only did a couple of km, can't really give a good review yet but what surprises me: the 'anti-ackermann' effect on full lock when driving slowly out of my garage is gone!

I have absolutely no clue what the previous old tyres (Contisport5) caused the inner tyre to 'knock', perhaps the previous owner of these wheels and tyres had some strange alignment issues? (front tires were close to the wearlimits)

On 02/04/2021 at 15:52, TdM said:

Just got PS4s on mine today switching out from winters. Straight out of the garage they work well which bodes well for after I get some miles on them.

Garage managed to set them to 2.8 bar all round which seemed a little... Excessive...

It’s amazing when you consider that this is literally THEIR JOB, that so many garages and tyre fitters have so little clue about tyre pressures.

• Gold FFM

Well after 500 miles in a week all i can say is I love my MPS4S tyres. Like them much more than the CUP 2s.

• Like 1

It would be useful to know why you prefer the PS4S compared to the CUP 2’s ? I did often wonder why Lotus fitted the CUP 2’s to cars in the UK, with the weather being pretty wet and cold for around 5 months a year I assume it’s rather difficult to generate sufficient heat in them a lot of the time 😳

• Gold FFM

Hi @Phillv6 - I live in Scotland so the temperatures are usually a few degrees cooler up here than in say the south of England - not that I am complaining as where I live largely has a wonderful climate!

The big issue for me was the front end in the Evora 410 Sport. With the CUP 2's, on cold, damp, roads, I just never got a strong confident feeling with the front end. The roads were cold and damp. The air was cold. And they just did not really feel as though they were biting and they felt as though they were "skipping" over the surface giving the feeling of understeer. And we are not talking ridiculous speeds here as I did not have the confidence to really push on. The semi slick Avon ZZS on my VX220 felt better!

Also, when braking on cold, damp roads, any touch with a painted white line would cause the car to dart left/right.

Overall, I just did not get on with them during those conditions. On warm, dry roads, they are though immense!  Like a different tyre to be honest.

So, the MPS4S - obviously just fitted when roads/air temp still quite cold and they just feel, to me, a hundred times better. I just feel more confident with the car.

Interestingly, on my NA I always used the OEM Pirelli PZero's and I actually found these to be great, all the time.

I'm not a driving god Phil, so just trying to give my own personal experience/feelings. I am sure others will find the CUP2's immense whatever the weather. :)

I think many people had issues with the excessive wear rate of the OEM Pirellis, something which the MP4S should rectify. I was shocked when a regular annual service at Lotus Silverstone showed that my OEM Pirelli rears were down to the carcass at one point around the circumference. It had only covered about 4000 odd miles, with no track days. I changed all four corners to MP4S and am very pleased so far.

• Like 1

At the same time as they wore out in no time at all, the pirellis also felt like they were made of stone: aquaplaning, understeering, ackerman-juddering and being far more noisy than the Michelins as well. In the cold and the the wet, they were pretty dire.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the Michelin PS4S from 4wheelonline last February and I've put over 3000 miles on them. They have fantastic grip especially at warmer temperatures. They can handle the corners very well. Hopefully, they wear better than the PZero's.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I ended up going with GY Asymmetric 5s all round (correct standard 18/19 sizes and specs although not the Mercedes specific types). Got a screaming deal on them via a friend of a friend and I do like them on another car I have so thought it was worth the risk. Early impressions are very positive. Compared to the P zeroes it's quieter while also managing to be slightly less crashy over bumps but simultaneously more positive on the steering with a little bit more weight to the steering. Feel seems a notch up too but that might just be as they're biting more.

These improvements seem outwith the general difference you'd expect between worn old, hard tyres and brand new ones.

I've just fitted Pilot Sport 4S's to my rear........

What is the general consensus on best tyre pressures for the 4S's?

This is on the 19/20 inch wheel set up.

Thanks all.