free hit
counters
Tyres again (sorry) - go with the obvious choice or........... - Page 5 - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Tyres again (sorry) - go with the obvious choice or...........

• Gold FFM

I need a set of new tyres for an NA Evora too. Looks like PS4S are the default choice but no fronts seem to be available.

whats the recommended option, PS4 all around? PS5 all around? Or just go PS4S rear and PS4 front?

I have the option of running winter tyres (on a second set of wheels), in that case better to go for something like the AD08RS? Amyone tried them? I don’t do many miles, maybe 3000 a year so wear rates aren’t much of a worry. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I use ps4 front and PS4s rear as it was only available

it all seems to work fine I don’t track and not a fast road driver but in the wet and cold work great and now in summer it’s great   

• Like 1

I also went with PS4S rear and PS4 front and have done a couple of trackdays and do use the car briskly on local B roads and have been very happy with this combo. The grip is also excellent when wet and cold. i had thought though that PS4S fronts were now available, but I dont need any just yet.

• Gold FFM

The Michelin UK website no longer lists the 18 inch PS4S. Iirc they have discontinued the tyre in that size. The PS5 has now been launched, but no sign yet of a PS5S.

https://www.michelin.co.uk/auto/tyres/michelin-pilot-sport-4-s#

image.thumb.png.328235c175f6da9e72072a9ad718e3eb.png

I run the PS4 all round on my Launch Edition and they are fine for fast road driving. 

The Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersport is probably a good alternative option.

This chap on YouTube does some great reviews:

Lover of everything Lotus Cars and proud owner of production Evora No.75 (2nd UK customer specced car by VIN). Originally from the Far East....of Anglia, I read black box data for a living so that could explain a lot!

I wouldn't overthink it. The Evora chassis is so good, you'll never get near a grip problem on the public road, though I'd avoid track bias tyres in temps below say 4 degrees. 

Eagle F1 a good compromise.

I put Vredstein all-season on my NA for a winter trip to Europe, where it is law to have mud/snow tyres. I haven't removed them, they're fine for spirited UK driving, though perhaps lack feel of a summer tyre. 

Justin 

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Anyone running different tyres for winter, if so what do you opt for on your summer tyres? Or is there really no point in anything other than PS4/PS4S/PS5?

im not that fussed about grip limit, more steering feel and wonder if something like the AD08RS as fitted to the Elise would be a good option.

https://www.thelotusforums.com/latest-news/long-term-tests/lotus-evora-long-term-test-winter-tyres/

I had 3 months on Yokohama W-Drive tyres and am now a covert for life to winter tyres! 

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM
14 minutes ago, Bibs said:

https://www.thelotusforums.com/latest-news/long-term-tests/lotus-evora-long-term-test-winter-tyres/

I had 3 months on Yokohama W-Drive tyres and am now a covert for life to winter tyres! 

So what do you run for summer tyres though? Given you don’t need them to perform well in the cold at all do you opt for something sportier? 

I’ve been running winter tyres on most of our cars for ages. Well worth it!

I've got PS4's on my car but have a set of 400 wheels and Cup 2's I'll be putting on shortly :)

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

I did a lot of research when looking for some track day wheels for my Elise S3, so got into rim insets, Pitch Circle Diameters, spigot hole sizes etc.

Here are the exceprts from the Evora and Evora 400 Service Notes regarding wheel dimensions. The documentation confirms that Evora 400 wheels will fit an Evora Series 1 without the need for things like spacers because the insets and PCD are identical for the 19/20 inch wheels, with the spigot hole on the 400 rims being a gnats doodah larger. One size difference I did notice is that the rear wheels for the GT430 are an inch wider, but I assume they should also fit.  Note the lower max loads for the Evora Sport rims. 

Evora Wheels - dimensions.png

• Like 1

Lover of everything Lotus Cars and proud owner of production Evora No.75 (2nd UK customer specced car by VIN). Originally from the Far East....of Anglia, I read black box data for a living so that could explain a lot!

• Gold FFM

I've driven some PS5 now, they are very nice, quite plush ride not still feel good. You will be able to get more sporty tyres, but I would probably do PS5 all around rather than PS4/PS4S front/rear.

Reason being if you are driving at the limit they are then balanced and you won't get additional understeer. If you aren't driving at the limit, you get better comfort and improved longevity. Win/win.

I've also run winter tyres and summer tyres in both summer and winter. Winter tyres will grip like a b*stard even when it's freezing. Will I bother to change back and forth? no. PS4S are plenty grippy enough 99% of the year. I wouldn't say the trade-off is worth the effort unless you live in a winter wonderland!

• Like 1

On 09/07/2022 at 13:00, hamza said:

Anyone running different tyres for winter, if so what do you opt for on your summer tyres? Or is there really no point in anything other than PS4/PS4S/PS5?

im not that fussed about grip limit, more steering feel and wonder if something like the AD08RS as fitted to the Elise would be a good option.

@hamzaif you are not fussed about grip limit or steering feel.  They go for a Mich PS4 or PS5.  They are fantastic every day tyres that are very hard to beat in areas such as comfort, noise, durabilit, wet grip etc ...  all the traits that make a great high performance daily driver tyre.  The other manufacturers cannot seem to match Michelin on this. 

The Yoko AD08RS doesn't come in 19inch as far as I know and is more biased to track driving than a Mich PS4, with more grip and steering feeling, things you said you don't care about.

• Gold FFM

ish. I'm not fussed about overall levels of grip as its only a road car.. but I would like lots of steering feel... which is an odd combination I know to want. I don't mind too much if they do also have high levels of grip to go with the steering feel and given my limited use I'm not bothered about wear rates as I suspect I'll replace them because they're and hard and brittle before they wear out.

I watched a few tyre reviews and given the 18" front that's needed (ruling out PS4S and its equivalents) the best feeling tyre seems to be a Conti Premium Contact 6 but the difference is pretty marginal.

I think (but I could be wrong) that I did manage to find the AD08RS in Evora 18/19" sizes but while I don't need it to perform well in cold weather I would like good wet weather performance so I'm currently thinking to stay away from Cup2s or AD08 type tyres after all.

Haven't decided yet but given the pricing and good rim protectors the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric actually look like a good bet. Better feel than the PS4 but not quite as good as the Conti... I'd go for the Conti but it has no rim protector to speak of at all and as its a daily I figure it might be nice not to ruin the wheels too quickly.

• Gold FFM

I'm not sure you need the rim protectors (although, i'm not paying if you take that advice!) the car is actually really easy to place, including whilst parking so I've not felt any risk of hitting the kerb. TBF, you will probably get more difference from tyre pressures than the difference between a F1 A and the Conti anyway.

I'm with you on wet weather performance. On the road, unless you REALLY only take it out on guaranteed dry days, don't get track leaning tyres. You do not want the rear to try overtaking the front on a deceptively deep puddle on the motorway.

18 minutes ago, TdM said:

I'm not sure you need the rim protectors (although, i'm not paying if you take that advice!) the car is actually really easy to place, including whilst parking so I've not felt any risk of hitting the kerb. TBF, you will probably get more difference from tyre pressures than the difference between a F1 A and the Conti anyway.

I'm with you on wet weather performance. On the road, unless you REALLY only take it out on guaranteed dry days, don't get track leaning tyres. You do not want the rear to try overtaking the front on a deceptively deep puddle on the motorway.

The rear of the car is wider than the front. Here in France and other parts of Euroland they like to have low kerbs in semi pedestrianised narrowed road areas in city centres, increasingly in small towns as well. They are a pitta for the rear wheels being just the right height.  Ask me how I know. :wallbash:

• Gold FFM

I feel your pain, I live near this monstrosity. Tyre protectors won't save you here! The secton on the right (with the Golf) is both narrower than the left and also isn't quite straight so you have to sort of turn slightly whilst going through it. As you can tell by the black marks, lots of people lose chunks out of their cars here!

spacer.png

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, TdM said:

You mean I can't send you a bill the first time I kerb my wheels?? Gutted :(

Yea I was headed completely in the direction of track biased tyres with the thought that I'll have winters on half the year anyway and then I remembered it rains in the summer too :) Definitely intended as a daily car so has to be usable in all weathers.

42 minutes ago, TdM said:

I feel your pain, I live near this monstrosity. Tyre protectors won't save you here! The secton on the right (with the Golf) is both narrower than the left and also isn't quite straight so you have to sort of turn slightly whilst going through it. As you can tell by the black marks, lots of people lose chunks out of their cars here!

spacer.png

That looks familiar... Somewhere near Marlow? I hate it too.

Its a pitta but I can usually manage to see the normal height ones. It’s the low height ones just a tad higher than that lowered pedestrian kerb that catch me out.

16 hours ago, hamza said:

ish. I'm not fussed about overall levels of grip as its only a road car.. but I would like lots of steering feel... which is an odd combination I know to want. I don't mind too much if they do also have high levels of grip to go with the steering feel and given my limited use I'm not bothered about wear rates as I suspect I'll replace them because they're and hard and brittle before they wear out.

I watched a few tyre reviews and given the 18" front that's needed (ruling out PS4S and its equivalents) the best feeling tyre seems to be a Conti Premium Contact 6 but the difference is pretty marginal.

I think (but I could be wrong) that I did manage to find the AD08RS in Evora 18/19" sizes but while I don't need it to perform well in cold weather I would like good wet weather performance so I'm currently thinking to stay away from Cup2s or AD08 type tyres after all.

Haven't decided yet but given the pricing and good rim protectors the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric actually look like a good bet. Better feel than the PS4 but not quite as good as the Conti... I'd go for the Conti but it has no rim protector to speak of at all and as its a daily I figure it might be nice not to ruin the wheels too quickly.

Hiya.

many hours lost looking and contemplating tyre choice!

I’d bear in mind that if you opt for anything fruity (ad08r) the grip isn’t there until they are warmed up.  That also means turn in which is what I guess you mean by steering feel.  

Note also that steering feel is derived from having minimal movement in the tread blocks, ie, narrower rain dissipation grooves, which compromises wet weather performance and noise.

So I’d stay away from the semi slick options for road use.  

Personally I’d also stay away from more passenger car orientated tyres and stick to tyres developed for UHP, which is more the PS4S / PSS / Goodyear super sport / conti 6.  I appreciate the chassis will take up a lot but for me it’s a bit like playing football in casual shoes - I can do it - but if I don’t have to then I’d be better off in trainers or boots.

• Gold FFM

For anyone who hasn't seen this comparison review of the PS4, PS4S and Cup 2, it's a good watch.