free hit
counters
Electrical Starting Issues Evora NA - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Electrical Starting Issues Evora NA

I'm having repeated issues with the electrical system in my Evora. Still moderately new to the car having acquired it last year but then waiting a long time for a clutch change...

Several weeks ago on starting I got a fairly horrid repeated clicking noise (video below) and refusal to start, the car having been stood for about a week. Took the car over to my local dealership who fully recharged the battery, checked the drain with no fault found. No problems starting. Brought the car home, daily driven for a few days and then the same non start after not driving the car for 48 hours. Back to the garage, new battery fitted, tests repeated, all good.

Fast forward a fortnight, exact same problem. This time the car has been stood for 3 and a bit days. I'd welcome hearing anyones experiences of any similar problem or opinions on any underlying causes.

P.s - I have a CTEK, have always plugged it in if leaving for more than a week - but surely a new battery should last more than a few days without needing to be plugged into a conditioner?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

That sounds like a sticky starter motor to me..... Maybe like the one in the post below?

Nope that’s not a sticky starter motor. 

There’s not enough power on the battery to turn the car over. 

Sounds like unless you’re fitting cheap nasty batteries, you have a parasitic draw of some kind draining the battery. 

Are all the interior lights, boot lights, head unit, all off? You haven’t mistakenly left something on? 

If not then any decent auto electrician can do a draw test for you. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, JimH said:

That sounds like a sticky starter motor to me..... Maybe like the one in the post below?

I saw the starter motor thread and didn't think it sounded the same - went for the info, stayed for the puns...

33 minutes ago, 21gg said:

Over the cold spell I've had to leave mine on charge, where normally it only needs topping up after a week or so.

Surely you've got a super lightweight battery on a GTE :-) but going forward I think I'll be treating it like an electric car and plugging it in every time I get home!

31 minutes ago, Welshwiseguy said:

Nope that’s not a sticky starter motor. 

There’s not enough power on the battery to turn the car over. 

Sounds like unless you’re fitting cheap nasty batteries, you have a parasitic draw of some kind draining the battery. 

Are all the interior lights, boot lights, head unit, all off? You haven’t mistakenly left something on? 

If not then any decent auto electrician can do a draw test for you. 

Thanks, the last two batteries have been dealer fitted - one Toyota and one Yuasa so I'm inclined to agree on the draw - even though I've got as much turned off as I can!

I had a draw test done the last time round so I think will just have to repeat until its found. 

Cheers

• Like 1

If it always starts when the battery is fully charged, how about disconnecting it for a couple of days then try to start (after re-connecting), Is the car safely in a garage so you could leave it unlocked/tailgate open. Before I had my first evora I always used the battery discarnect thing. Still use these on the mgs.

• Gold FFM

To confirm that's a very different sound to mine. That is much more like what I would expect a low battery to sound like. My car just clicked once from the solenoid behind the rear passenger side seat.

15 hours ago, exeterjeep said:

If it always starts when the battery is fully charged, how about disconnecting it for a couple of days then try to start (after re-connecting), Is the car safely in a garage so you could leave it unlocked/tailgate open. Before I had my first evora I always used the battery discarnect thing. Still use these on the mgs.

Thanks - will give that a try. Usually lives outside as our other car is a soft top so gets the garage which probably hasn't helped with the cold

8 hours ago, TdM said:

To confirm that's a very different sound to mine. That is much more like what I would expect a low battery to sound like. My car just clicked once from the solenoid behind the rear passenger side seat.

Thanks, hope yours is sorted soon!

6 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

That is exactly what my Evora would do if left too long. Battery.

How long would yours typically last? I've been told by a dealers that just under a fortnight is usual which is why I think there's something causing it rather than a normal drain level - this was a new battery that discharged in less than 4 days!

• Gold FFM

Seem to get worse in my ownership. When the battery was new - 14 days was pushing it. Towards then end of my ownership it was more like 7 days.

I tended not to leave it long as it was a daily - but with work and some lockdowns - there were a few basil fawlty moments 

Only here once

I drive my car generally once a week however I can go up to 9 days 

I have gone through 2 starter motors in the last 3 years so I don’t know if the lack of daily caused that ? 
generally the car fires up first time of asking for no idea on age of my battery but I suspect it must be approaching 5 years old ? 

14 minutes ago, Cdm2018 said:

I suspect it must be approaching 5 years old ? 

Seems to be doing well if its got to 5 years. If they are normal batteries then they are quite cheap. Years ago before I started using the discarnect thing I was changing batteries every 2-3 years.

My 2010 NA had the original battery for 9 years - I changed it last year for a decent replacement. In the winter I connect the c-tek charger if it's not going to be started for 2 weeks or more. The rest of the year, it will go 2-3 weeks without a charge, but I drive it every few days anyway so it's never a problem. As said above, I think there must be a drain on the circuit somewhere - are you sure the boot lights aren't staying on?

Thanks all, very glad to hear that less than a week isn't the norm as I have to leave my car for a couple of days at a time when I'm away with work.

55 minutes ago, Whitey said:

My 2010 NA had the original battery for 9 years - I changed it last year for a decent replacement. In the winter I connect the c-tek charger if it's not going to be started for 2 weeks or more. The rest of the year, it will go 2-3 weeks without a charge, but I drive it every few days anyway so it's never a problem. As said above, I think there must be a drain on the circuit somewhere - are you sure the boot lights aren't staying on?

I saw a video about checking this (can't find it annoyingly) - where a chap was checking this by getting his daughter to lie in the boot whilst he closed it to see if the lights went off. I have to admit that because I don't have kids I had to use my phone to check mine weren't staying on 🤣

1 hour ago, Matt J said:

where a chap was checking this by getting his daughter to lie in the boot

An extract from the USA owners manual...

Child Entrapment
If a child should become trapped in the rear luggage compartment, an emergency release handle is provided inside the trunk to facilitate their escape.
To release the latch, the fluorescent yellow/white handle at the rear of the trunk, should be pulled towards the right hand side of the car.
Parents should decide if their children should be shown how to use this feature.

• Haha 2

• Gold FFM

Did the previous owner have a tracker fitted?  Even if the subscription has lapsed it can still be a parasitic drain.  I think the factory fit alarm on the Evora causes a fair chunk of the drain when the car is left standing, so if it's in a locked garage you could try disabling the alarm and see if it will go for longer.  Or an auto electrician could check it.

22 hours ago, TomE said:

Did the previous owner have a tracker fitted?  Even if the subscription has lapsed it can still be a parasitic drain.  I think the factory fit alarm on the Evora causes a fair chunk of the drain when the car is left standing, so if it's in a locked garage you could try disabling the alarm and see if it will go for longer.  Or an auto electrician could check it.

Not that I'm aware of. I'm getting it checked this week as I've run out of talent so fingers crossed they track it down!

• Like 1