free hit
counters
83 S3 Front camber Adjust - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

83 S3 Front camber Adjust

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I'm sure I've seen bad reports regard poly bushes in the top inner joints. With the arms moving fore/aft and so upsetting the castor angles. They have washers but are not as fixed as the old metalastic bushes are by nature.

@Christian43 I'm surprised you didn't make the fronts adjustable in the same way as Lotus did on the later Esprits. The holes for the front ball joints are elongated, a metal stop is added near one set of holes, and a square spacer is made which has a hole off-centred. the adjustment is them by using the appropriate side of that square spacer, to move the bolt to the desired position, then both bolts are tightened holding it all in place.

Where is the APPLAUSE button? 🙌

This surely costs more than Christian's custom solution, but who has fitted SJ's adjustable front suspension on non-adjustable cars?

https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and-accessories/SJ082C0019.htm

Edited by CarBuff

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

23 hours ago, andydclements said:

I'm sure I've seen bad reports regard poly bushes in the top inner joints. With the arms moving fore/aft and so upsetting the castor angles. They have washers but are not as fixed as the old metalastic bushes are by nature.

@Christian43 I'm surprised you didn't make the fronts adjustable in the same way as Lotus did on the later Esprits. The holes for the front ball joints are elongated, a metal stop is added near one set of holes, and a square spacer is made which has a hole off-centred. the adjustment is them by using the appropriate side of that square spacer, to move the bolt to the desired position, then both bolts are tightened holding it all in place.

yes that was our first thought but looking at the ball joins we did not have enough meat around the holes to machine a slot and give the required adjustment range. You could slot the holes in the FTWBs and / or weld new bushes to the outboard end of the FTWBs, we just figured the way we went was more straight forwards and easier to jig. 

Not sure what you mean about the poly bushes as the installation still runs washers each side of the wishbone. You are always a little compromised with castor change under hard braking on the 84 S3, that's why Lotus did the update with trailing arm on the front lower wishbone and separate FARB. I guess until someone does a full K&C test on both types of bushes the conversation will go on. In the meantime all I can say is on a twisty Oxfordshire country road pushing on pretty hard I can't feel any downside for the poly bushes.

23 hours ago, CarBuff said:

Where is the APPLAUSE button? 🙌

This surely costs more than Christian's custom solution, but who has fitted SJ's adjustable front suspension on non-adjustable cars?

https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and-accessories/SJ082C0019.htm

I did look at this and it should fit, however given we had machining capacity we decided to see what we could do ourselves.