free hit
counters
S1 Tyres - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

I'm looking for tyres for my 1978 S1 and would like a decent brand but the only front size of 205/60 R14 that comes up are Nankang tyres - can anyone recommend a good place to source tyres or has anyone tried the Nankang ones?

Thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have NANKANG Ultra Sport NS-2 205/60R14 in front. They are dressed up as Good Years 😁 They are rated H which means 210km/h (130mph) and to be honnest, I am not planning on riding that fast in m

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?gclid=Cj0KCQiA7NKBBhDBARIsAHbXCB7Ppo52I4SHSBT1hEtOdLTooy8NrcCrHSQfueEuTglCp1U3MExncNIaAobyEALw_wcB&dsco=110&typ=R-277369&partner=1&partner=1&

The S1 and S2 tyre conundrums are very similar.  

• Gold FFM

Nankang I think are speed limited to 112mph from memory for that size. I have Nankang on my 1973 XJ6 and they are superb and are speed rated to 130mph - which has been tested in 2017 on the 'bahns.

I would have no hesitation in putting Nankang on an Esprit - they are cheap enough should they be rubbish but I doubt they will be. Unless you are planning on many high speed runs at 112mph+, I would not be concerned about that limit either.

Of course, they may not provide perfect handling on the limit as per Lotus original set-up but tyres have moved on a bit since the 70s and I doubt you will be 'hanging the tail out' on your classic. 

Justin

5 hours ago, jep said:

Nankang I think are speed limited to 112mph from memory for that size. I have Nankang on my 1973 XJ6 and they are superb and are speed rated to 130mph - which has been tested in 2017 on the 'bahns.

I would have no hesitation in putting Nankang on an Esprit - they are cheap enough should they be rubbish but I doubt they will be. Unless you are planning on many high speed runs at 112mph+, I would not be concerned about that limit either.

Of course, they may not provide perfect handling on the limit as per Lotus original set-up but tyres have moved on a bit since the 70s and I doubt you will be 'hanging the tail out' on your classic. 

Justin

Thanks - never go over 4,000 rpm in it so certainly no 'tail out' action :)

7 hours ago, peteyg said:

I've gone through 2 sets of these in the last 10 years. They are pretty good and I find work best on my S2 at about 22PSI.

Pete

Unlike me you actually use your car ;)

• Haha 1

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire