free hit
counters
Blitz Spirit - Page 2 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

And we only have ourselves to blame for this woke and pampered generation. We are the ones who entitled children to the point where they have representatives on school boards and are told "If a teacher upsets you report them and they will be disciplined". We have entitled them to understand that they don't have to do something they don't  want to, and we are not talking about the things we originally told them they didn't have to do like get into a car with a stranger of go see their puppies. We are talking "No I don't want to stop hitting this younger child, you can't force me to!". We have told them they don't have to do anything they don't want to. Teachers can't discipline them, Police can arrest them but it never goes anywhere unless they murder someone and then they are only locked up till they are "Old enough to understand what they did wrong"....so thats either 18 or 21. 

We have told them they should get a minimum wage and not have to work more than 8 hours a day, 5 days a week for a living wage. And then we wonder why they are moaning at having to work for 38 hours a week and not afford a deposit on a house? We should have been teaching them that the harder they work the more they get. Get another job if one doesn't pay enough for what you want. it's what I have always done! And Wendy as well!

We should have been teaching them discipline in schools. To understand that if you don't do what you are told (Within reason obviously) that you are punished. But instead there is now a movement towards not even allowing Expulsion from a school by the "Human rights Groups". 

We are even at a stage where Scotland is going to be the first part of the UK to ban any form of physical discipline even by a parent. ANY physical discipline. So if you grab your child because they are sticking their finger in a plug socket it's you that could be done for assault.

Lets get this straight. It's not the children who are to blame here, its society for allowing things to reach this stage.

• Like 2

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No I don’t think they need go through a blitz to toughen them up but I do think they need to get a sense of perspective about some of their perceived problems. It is quite possible to bring child

Anybody else watch this programme on BBC1 last night, presented by historian Lucy Worsley? I sincerely hope it was being watched by all the whingeing gits who think they’ve been so hard done by over

And even that was in black and white

Posted Images

34 minutes ago, Neal H said:

Does that mean he loses the moustache?

*by using the term ‘he’ I realise I’m being sexist and part of the problem.

No, he keeps the moustache, but gains a leather trousers and a peaked cap.

Margate Exotics.

6 hours ago, Kimbers said:

Lets get this straight. It's not the children who are to blame here, its society for allowing things to reach this stage.

Indeed. Or not. :D

• Gold FFM

Anyone think our kids should suffer some blitz to toughen them up? What price resilience? Part of winning a war is that you don't have to suffer another one. Not saying that kids are stronger than they were a generation or 2 ago, but do you honestly believe that the only way they can become as robust and world weary as their parents and grandparents is for them to have to go through some kind of life threatening experience? Lovely.

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, RobinB5 said:

do you honestly believe that the only way they can become as robust and world weary as their parents and grandparents is for them to have to go through some kind of life threatening experience?

Yes. Is the short answer.

The longer one?  

UK kids (like most of the West) have it flookin' EASY by and large (there are of course those who don't) and as a result they are becoming softer. Meanwhile, other parts of the world the kids are growing up tougher, in harsher experiences. They are more resilient. More resourceful. More hungry. As the market for jobs and resources is increasingly global, who do you think is going to win the war?  Not necessarily a traditional bullets and bayonets war. But the war for jobs. For resources. Etc?

A lot of the kids in the UK today, the toughest choice they face is what "designer gadget" to play with today. So I do believe we have created a massive problem and have not actually helped them at all.

I see it in work. Half the graduates who join us our self entitled, precious little shit bags. The others, work hard.  In ten years, it is like to be 70:30 split.

It's a tough world out there. And as the world gets flooded with ever more people, it will only get tougher.

• Like 2

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Yeah, I remember it being so tough when I was young.  The Government gave me a grant to go to university.  I could, on said student grant, mind you, afford to go and see Led Zeppelin at the Free Trade Hall as tickets were so cheap.  Mortgages were only up to 2.5 times your salary as houses were so much cheaper relative to what you earned.  People could get final-salary pensions without having to save a huge chunk of their wages while trying to repay a student loan and a 4 times salary mortgae.  You could work for the same company until you retired without being dumped without a thought to be replaced with an AI-powered machine. 

To be honest, I think it was probably during my generation when the sense of entitlement started and many of us became parents too lazy to put our kids right.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

• Gold FFM
9 hours ago, USAndretti42 said:

Yeah, I remember it being so tough when I was young.  The Government gave me a grant to go to university.  I could, on said student grant, mind you, afford to go and see Led Zeppelin at the Free Trade Hall as tickets were so cheap.  Mortgages were only up to 2.5 times your salary as houses were so much cheaper relative to what you earned.  People could get final-salary pensions without having to save a huge chunk of their wages while trying to repay a student loan and a 4 times salary mortgae.  You could work for the same company until you retired without being dumped without a thought to be replaced with an AI-powered machine. 

To be honest, I think it was probably during my generation when the sense of entitlement started and many of us became parents too lazy to put our kids right.

Wow you did have it easy for sure and must be around 60 now?

I left school at 18 in 1985. Straight into work as the only people I knew who were going to Uni were pricks. Out of around 200 kids in my year at our comprehensive school around 40 stayed on to do A levels at 16. The rest started work. Out of the 40 who stayed, around 10-12 went to Uni after their A levels. The rest of us went to work.

Bought my first house at 19. 2.5 times joint income of me and my girlfriend. Not because house were cheap, you got that dead wrong @USAndretti42- it was because debt was not such a welcome bed fellow as it is now. Banks were very cautious re lending. And people were generally not in such a rush to "get on the ladder" so when they did they were better paid.

Interest rates went up to over 16% and I had three jobs at once to keep my house working 80-100 hours a week. Yeah, dead easy! Cushdie.

i have no final salary pension scheme and at 47 was mortgage and debt free with savings.

My kids have a work ethic and understand they need to work to obtain. At 28 and 23 neither are in debt and have solid savings. Fiscally, we taught them well. They're not perfect. My son at 23 lives at home and although he works hard, he's a lazy little (well big actually) fecker and every know and then he pushes the envelope too far and big as he is het gets both barrels as a wake up call. He's not taking the piss intentionally, just feels entitled on his days off to stay in bed till midday and do flook all around the house. He just needs some, er, correction, now and then...😆

Of course it's down to each generation to teach the next. But honestly, New Labour did some good things but flook, it went too far on letting parents off the hook. On soft state intervention etc.  I would say that's when the entitlement push really started and when everyone was expected to go to Uni etc. The next wave of Uni courses to be added will be bottle washing, arse wiping and hoovering as our institutional learning establishments greed knows no bounds these days. They don't have to charge fees at £9k per year. They choose to. They then make their costs fir the bill!

So @USAndretti42seems like you were one of the priviledged few, that generation who got paid to go into Uni. Had a job for life. A gilt edged pension. Enjoy it but don't rub our noses in it too much! 🤣😂

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

I remember the interest rate issue all too well. In 1982 I had to get a bank loan in order to pay the mortgage and prevent the building society repossessing the house. I thought the rate was around 15% and it damned near crippled us financially.

Then, a bit later on, came our old friend ‘negative equity’. Thankfully, I never was caught up in that but most of my friends were.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

Yep I remember the 80’s. 16% mortgage interest rate and negative equity as house prices plummeted. Took me years to get back to positive equity. The value of the mortgage was three times my annual salary.

Those were the days 😬

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM
8 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

Then, a bit later on, came our old friend ‘negative equity’. Thankfully, I never was caught up in that but most of my friends were.

Which was only actually an issue if/when you needed to sell. So for the majority is only a paper issue was it not?

It was an issue for me, I wanted to move but was stuck. It also ruled out re-mortgaging or trying to find a more competitive mortgage unless you could afford to cover the deficit - I couldn’t.

3 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Which was only actually an issue if/when you needed to sell. So for the majority is only a paper issue was it not?

In theory, yes. But in reality it was scary.

It meant thousands were unable to move for normal reasons unless they could somehow clear the negative differential. But the worst case scenario was being unemployed, and not able to pay the mortgage, and there was a lot of it about at the time. Then you were really up the creek with no paddle because the lenders weren't anywhere near as sympathetic as they are today, foreclosure was common. Two friends of mine lost their houses to it, and ended up in rented accommodation. The rest is history, as house prices rose, and dragged the victims out of the situation.

Margate Exotics.

1 hour ago, C8RKH said:The next wave of Uni courses to be added will be bottle washing, arse wiping and hoovering as our institutional learning establishments greed knows no bounds these days. They don't have to charge fees at £9k per year. They choose to. They then make their costs fir the bill!

I just heard on the radio that Liverpool University are offering a degree course on the Beatles. Sounds like a great way to waste £27k.

• Sad 1

Left school at 15 and started work was never going to university not wired that way.

Used a friend's exam results to get my place on the 4 year company sponsored collage or loose my job.

Surprising how hard you can academically work when your jobs on the line no second chances you fail collage your out.

Been in industrial  refrigeration 38 years same company only ever had one loan mortgage and paid that off 25 years ago.

Down side only ever been on three holidays abroad two with mum and dad when I was a kid my kids 23/19 only ever been on one holiday abroad but I've placed money in their accounts to get them started.

Bought my first house £75k interest rate 16% sold it £65k after paying the mortgage and remember haveing to argue with the Woolwich that I diddent want an endowment mortgage and was probberbly the only person in the southeast with a repayment mortgage.

Never had the cars holidays big TVs and all that but so many people just can't live by the if I can't afford it I can't have.

And if I haven't have saved up for me Exige then I would have one.

Money isn't romantic.kind.funny.or anything else it's just money.

Like one of the younger lads at work is now complaining that the overtimes dropped off and money's getting tight well he wasn't that worried last year when he went to Thailand for a month on holiday 

And have walked round a few university's Hartford shire springs to mind when my daughter was choosing and couldn't believe what I was hearing £9k a year and 18 hours actual tuition but look how cheap the student bar is and the on campus nightclub and Jim etc and look how nice the accomodation is at £800 a week just a money pit.

She finally went to Westminster university that's in Wembley ? Another play on words and never forget when she was doing her final presentation the lecture said can we rap this up as I've got to go home,

So 9K a year what a rip off she worked hard and passed but most of the time the lectures diddent turn up or others covers with no actual help given.

Just get them in get the £9k a year 

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

I have run actual numbers against the first house my wife and I bought in 1992 (10 days after my 20th birthday), against our pay then, with a comparison of equivalent roles pay level now and the house cost now. In fact I have deliberately played down current salary a bit. I’ve financed the whole price, so no deposit. 

whilst the deposit may be an issue, the affordability is interesting. 

8B201443-D973-46AE-B8A1-15D707F9C12E.jpeg

• Like 1

A Lotus is for driving, pork is for breakfast.

1 hour ago, pete said:

I had got used to paying the higher amount and left the payments at the higher rate,paid the mortgage off 10 years earlier

The other thing I did was to reduce the length of each new repayment mortgage, so 1st was 25 years, next 20 and the last 15 and paid off after about 12 years.

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM
2 hours ago, C8RKH said:

Caught my brother. Being Naval he got moved from Plymouth to London to Helensburgh and has to rent his house in Plymouth out throughout and therefore lived in naval lodgings because the mortgage was more than the house was worth. Eventually sold it just before he moved back to Plymouth. 

A Lotus is for driving, pork is for breakfast.

Like @USAndretti42I went to University with fees paid by the Government and a grant for living expenses. I left University without debt and went to work for GEC (remember them??). I bought my first house in 1987. In 1988 I went into higher education. I opted out of the teachers pension scheme instead set up a private pension. Fortunately the university paid into that pension what they would have paid into the teachers scheme. I managed to retire at 55

Dave - 2000 Sport 350
1 hour ago, Colin P said:

Helensburgh

I lived on the Churchill Naval Estate for about 5 years in Helensburgh! My step-Dad was on the subs at Faslane.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT.