free hit
counters
B Pillar removal/foam replacement - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

B Pillar removal/foam replacement

• Gold FFM

I'd like to scrape out all the remaining rotten foam from behind the B Pillars and replace with new foam.

I see there are a small number of little rivet-looking things holding the external plastic in place.

Do I just need to drill out the rivets - or is there more to consider e.g. rear quarter glass? or is there a better way to replace the foam?

And, as I'm new to riveting - what tools/supplies do I need to re-attach the plastic surround? 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

When I came to do this job on mine, the foam had rotted so much there was hardly any left and I was able to use a vacuum cleaner and tweezers to suck/pull out out the remaining bits. I didn't  remove the B pillar, I purchased a piece of the black foam that pet shops supply for fish tank filters, cut it into sections and carefully pushed the blocks of foam through the gaps in the B pillar using a spatula.

• Thanks 1

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

• Gold FFM
15 hours ago, Choppa said:

When I came to do this job on mine, the foam had rotted so much there was hardly any left and I was able to use a vacuum cleaner and tweezers to suck/pull out out the remaining bits. I didn't  remove the B pillar, I purchased a piece of the black foam that pet shops supply for fish tank filters, cut it into sections and carefully pushed the blocks of foam through the gaps in the B pillar using a spatula.

Fantastic - so elegant. Thanks @Choppa 

• Gold FFM

Long-nosed pliers + blower = old foam removal. (Some rubbish did blow back through the internal vents in the cabin 🤣. )

Two rectangular pillars of black foam (2" square profile) squished/inserted through lower of the two rear facing vents, and then periodically moved up the channel.

Both pillars completed within 30 mins. :thumbsup:

Difficulty rating 1/10. (there is no 0) !