free hit
counters
Who will buy a 131? - Page 3 - Type 131 Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Who will buy a 131?

I wonder if it might be that Lotus use Toyota's 3 cylinder turbo engine (256bhp) from the GR Yaris in the base model 131? - very light weight and enough power for base model.

• Like 2

That's just fine

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello all, Long time lurker, created an account today and this is my first post. Thank you for all amazing threads and posts through the years. After the car is announced, and all seems we

The persons who want an Emira probably have a very good idea that the new Lotus will be the best drivers car of this decade.

Looks like the Type 131 is gearing up for a go. Thought I'd get in quick and beat Autocar to the latest "exclusive" rendering of the new Lotus Type 131!

Posted Images

No. For marketing reason rather than performance of technical reasons.

Cannot take a brand upmarket by removing a cylinder (or 3)

Predictions can make you look silly...Performance will be a step up as no longer torque limited. 

V6 Turbo

400 hp

370 lb/ft

£80k (+ £10k for convertible)

1350kg

Or you can spec up...

460 hp

420 lb/ft

1295 kg

£105k 

Hybrid to follow 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, cobwatch said:

Predictions can make you look silly...Performance will be a step up as no longer torque limited. 

V6 Turbo

400 hp

370 lb/ft

£80k (+ £10k for convertible)

1350kg

Or you can spec up...

460 hp

420 lb/ft

1295 kg

£105k 

Hybrid to follow 

If this is what Lotus brings to the table with the 131 it will be a massive failure, IMO. If it truly is 3 cars, the top of the line needs to come out first and then release the lower end models. I know HP isn't everything to this forum, but its and easy number for people to judge car from, like it or not. I think we are going to need to at least see that number start with a 5 for the high end of the 131 range. IMO there is no way you can get away with asking $145k USD (£105k) for a car with 460HP, even at that weight figure. 

• Like 1

The 911 covers a 380 to 640 bhp range, there is no McLaren, Ferrari or Lamborghini below 500 so they need an option that straddle over for image purposes at least.

A while back,  under the previous management some words were given...  Due to the switch to a turbocharger and a flatter torque curve located lower in the rev range... the bhp number were to start where GT430 maxed out. Yet at around the same time The GR-FE by Lotus, in pretty much standard internals, was brought up to 7200rpm reliably on the dyno... That was good for numbers that would have been more than good enough for an Esprit... They could not do it because no gearbox on the market could cope.

That was before the ownership change. Regardless of the choice of Engine supplier for 131.  it is safe to say that it will be more powerful on launch that the current top spec engine Lotus has on offer(430bhp). I'm not saying they won't provide a less potent spec, just that predicting  launch spec may be way trickier on this one. also because type 131 maybe a completely different type of offer than we've seen before.

• 5 weeks later...

I am hot for one if it's going to be all that looking and driving.  Buy an Evora, based on 10+ year old design or Lotus' newest technology and a fresh design?  I don't care about a manual or not; either one is fine if it works well.

It would be nice, but my Evora only just fits down the drive, if the 131 is wider it won't fit.

If I win the lottery, I'll buy a house with a wider drive.

• Like 2

About to ditch my F-Type and return to Lotus. I’ve had a look at a GT430. As much as I love the Evora, I find it hard to justify 1.4 MSEK for what is basically a 10 year old car with a facelift. Much more tempted to order a new 131 then.

• Like 1
On 13/03/2021 at 23:43, PAR said:

I am sure he is thinking about it. Then he wakes up.

And realises that, again, that is not the gear lever he is holding. :getmecoat:

On 17/04/2021 at 02:12, mg4lotus said:

It would be nice, but my Evora only just fits down the drive, if the 131 is wider it won't fit.

If I win the lottery, I'll buy a house with a wider drive.

Or buy the house next door and demolish it and the fence and build a car stable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

I think (well hoping) following the Tuesday presentation that the Lotus dealers are going to be pretty busy taking deposits 

@stratosboyas the 3 cylinder 1.6 is making 380hp in rally trim, should be able to have 300hp in a road car, would have thought engine downsizing (and AWD) should keep the eco brigade happy; and, in the base model with a manual box

• Like 2

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own a true British supercar the Evora GT430

What is happening Tuesday?

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

• Gold FFM

More smoke and mirrors probably - just get on with it ffs 

• Like 1

Only here once

Welcome Ali - Solid choice, I think I'll be seeing myself in one at some point too :thumbsup:

• Like 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

2 hours ago, TomE said:

Welcome Ali.  You can place a deposit now if you're super-keen ;) (I did a while back)

Looking forward to seeing the launch and being at Goodwood to drool over the car.  Speaking to people who've seen it, sat in it and driven it I don't think we'll be disappointed.

Well done! I’m going to wait for the full reveal before I make any decisions but I suspect that I’ll be looking to acquire shortly.

• Like 1

My benchmark is my Evora S and how it drives... I think it is the perfect blend of sport, style and comfort. Before the Evora I had an Esprit and that has definded the way I think what a proper Lotus should be.

Suspension, Brakes, Steering, but also Baggage, Comfort, must drive 500km fatigue-proof, must simply be the best car to enjoy B-Roads and the Alps..., Power? enough.. V6 a must, just because no 4-banger sounds right..etc

If the Emira is in that tradition and even beats that and looks sensational, I will most likely buy one.

Dreamcar would something like this: Take the engine of the Cayman GTS 4.0 with proper stick shift and gearing, the Look of the Evija, Ohlins suspension for the magic ride on B-Roads and keep everything else that makes Lotus just the best driver cars! 😉

• Like 2
For the few who know the difference
14 hours ago, Ali M said:

Hello all,

Long time lurker, created an account today and this is my first post.

Thank you for all amazing threads and posts through the years.
After the car is announced, and all seems well, I believe I will proceed with ordering the Emira within the first quarter it goes on sale.

Welcome to TLF Ali.

I'm not jealous that you are probably going to get an Emira. Why would I be jealous?

Any questions or issues with using the forums, feel free to ask one of us mods. We're here to help. :) 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

As a purchaser of an LE Evora, i am watching this with real interest and do have my name pencilled on the waiting list.

The cheapest Evora was pitched at just under £50k at launch so i am thinking the new car to be circa £60-65k to tempt the Elise market to spend just a little more, then of course will be other more expensive variants.

However Lotus will never increase sales volumes simply by getting existing customers to buy again -  they need to appeal to new customers which at the £60-70k mark can only really mean Cayman owners?

15 hours ago, TomE said:

Welcome Ali.  You can place a deposit now if you're super-keen ;) (I did a while back)

Tom - did you do this via a dealer? If so, which one? I asked to be put on the waiting list but nobody mentioned an actual deposit

construction and property consultants : My company

It will look great. We knew that. It will drive great. We knew that. So do your Evoras.

Lotus seems to be hoping to catch up with the Cayman not blow it into the weeds. What tech is available now, that wasn't available for the Evora, will allow the Emira to beat the Cayman and drive better than the Evora?

We haven't heard about any.

Lotus Carlton - fastest saloon in the world by some way

Elan M100 - radical engineering, changed front wheel drive forever

Elise - highly innovative construction, set new standards for lightweight and driver engagement

Exige - unique driver focused road/track proposition, 200kg lighter than a Cayman, way more exciting to drive

Evora - only mid engined 2+2 in the world, huge range of ability - b-roads, a-roads, GT, track, daily useable

Emira?