free hit
counters
Worst car battery location, ever. - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

My 30 year old Ferrari Mondial T cabrio’s ancient battery has given up the ghost this week. I fitted a new one today, but by jingo, it’s in a strange place. Under the driver’s side headlamp pod, right beneath the full width radiator vent. So it gets soaked every time it rains or gets washed and you can only access it from the inner wheel arch.

It’s directly under this grille where the orange Ctek connector can be seen.

Xy6q2lW.jpg

Access is via this panel.

OVJGEZc.jpg

Old battery out and new one in, then all back together and we’re good to go for a few more years.

RA999fv.jpg

• Confused 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My 30 year old Ferrari Mondial T cabrio’s ancient battery has given up the ghost this week. I fitted a new one today, but by jingo, it’s in a strange place. Under the driver’s side headlamp pod, right

I had to lower the battery into my S1 Elise on thin straps, it only just fits vertically through the access and if it spilt it would be disastrous as it sits right on the chassis, couldn't be any lower in the car!

That said, a body off to change the 340r battery makes them all seem easy! 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

Body off on 340R with the battery that the Lotus factory fitted - full size. Race battery (slimmer and lighter) is an easy solution that most did with body-off service at 4 years. 

Trickle charge Airflow works brilliantly on 340R with race battery - R had socket for trickle from new. I have just had the cigarette port on S1 Elise converted to 'live' so I can trickle without clamps. £14 Lidl charger with £4 cigarette fitment added. No idea why anyone buys expensive CTek ones - the Elan has been on a DC style charger for 20+ years which I inherited from the previous owner and still works wonders. They cost even less than the Lidl ones. 

Tricky battery location is forgivable on a sports car. 

Justin 

• Gold FFM

Has anyone ever tried to get one off of a Noble? 

It is at the bottom of the engine and is taller than the clearance between the car and the drive. 

It took two of us four hours to get it out!

Change a battery on my VX220 Turbo many years ago and it’s under the water bottle😂 and a pain in the ass to change.

Designers and engineers go to great lengths to achieved 50/50 axle weight distribution by careful placement of components such as batteries on the floor behind the drivers seat.  All perfectly acceptable until the battery fails in a locked and secure car with electric doors.   The size of the "standard" specification battery is super critical ... 2 mm too wide and the drivers seat and (now unobtainable) electronic door activation modules are coming out. 

spacer.png

[img]https://i.imgur.com/rZhAMJD.jpg[/img]

spacer.png

[img]https://i.imgur.com/N8xMvik.jpg[/img]

spacer.png

[img]https://i.imgur.com/JcU0Omy.jpg[/img]

Edited by Bravo73
Inserted images