free hit
counters
GT430 Sport vs Seat Leon Cupra (?!) - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

GT430 Sport vs Seat Leon Cupra (?!)

Good morning all, I know that this is a controversial story and excuse myself already right now for the schoolboy-ish perspective I might have. Also, disclaimer - what I am about to talk about happened on the famously unrestricted part of the german Autobahn. No, it really did...not just saying this to protect myself from the german law enforcement (but they probably don´t read UK forums anyhow).

So, yesterday afternoon I took the Evora GT430 Sport out - the sun was shining and I was driving down said Autobahn on the left lane (the one where you go fast over here), waiting for some traffic to clear up in front of me at a safe distance. Once the lane was empty, I floored the pedal in third gear and kept going. I immediately noticed another car behind me, far too close in my opinion, it´s never a good idea to not keep at least _some_ distance to the car in front. In fact, I was barely able to see the lights of the car (not just because of the horrible visibility in the mirror :D).

Ok, someone wanted to race. That happens when you drive an exotic sports car. So I kept the pedal down, crossed 200km/h and the car was still VERY close. At around 250km/h I was gaining some ground and I did not want to push further, so I went to the right lane and off the pedal, letting the guy pass. 

I already said - I don´t like if people "race" on the streets, especially if they nearly touch your rear fender, that is an absolute no-no. And it was not my decision, but yes - I kept accelerating when I could have gone to the right lane immediately to not fuel his intention. 

But that´s not the topic - my question is... should a Lotus Evora GT430 Sport not be much quicker than a Seat Leon Cupra? I was a bit disappointed to be honest, yes - I know that on a track, with the right amount of corners and a much better driver than I am it would not even be close. And I also know that the Evora is not "fast" for it´s power figures. But that was a bit of a shock. Sure, you never know if that Cupra was not tuned with a bigger turbo etc... but I am keen to hear your opinions.

Again  - I don´t approve street racing and did not do anything in advance other than driving an exotic car 😊

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It happens to us all. He wouldn’t have bothered if his was a standard car. At the end of the day, the other guy has probably spent thousands on modifying an everyday Seat hatchback. Money that he will

I always remember driving back down the M4 from a holiday in South Wales many years ago. Suddenly a Nissan Skyline R34 came blasting past at warp speed, tailgated by a Focus RS Mk1, which was clearly

Thanks, yes ... it's still an occassion to drive the car! The suspension is still mind blowing, as is the sound. ☺️ The guys at my local detailing company were surprised when they started her up to mo

296bhp. 1,435kgs, 4wd and Cup2's as standard but limited to 155mph however a very tuneable engine so as you say, he could have been running much higher bhp or been on drugs from the sound of his driving. Many 'run of the mill' cars are very quick nowadays and I remember a M140i keeping pace with the GT410 Sport I had for a while a few years back on a dual carriageway coming off the roundabouts over here.

That said, throw in a couple of corners and you'd have not seen him for dust. Lotus cars were never the fastest in a straight line but that isn't what they're about at all. 

• Like 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Some Seat Leon Cupra's are majorly modified. I recently saw one running something like 500BHP.

That's probably why he wanted to race: he was in a sleeper rocket-car and wanted to rain on your parade.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Gold FFM

Exactly as Bibs has put above.  Torque characteristics and gearbox (likely to have been a DCT) also work very much in their favour as well.  A big part of the appeal of a hot-hatch is the accessible performance, and the modern ones really do keep many a sports car humble, they fit right in to the numbers game that is oh-so-important to many people.  I too had a unwanted Seat Leon on my bumper a few years ago in my Evora S, I did pull away but not by much.   Anyone can drive a car fast in a straight line but that's not what it's about.  Whoever it was may well have gone away bragging about how'd they'd stayed with you, but it's still only a Leon (sorry) and nowhere as special an experience as a GT430

• Like 2

Power/acceleration chasing became pointless a few years back during the BHP wars. Whichever segment of car you go for now (including 4x4) you can find a vehicle that will propel you to silly speeds fast enough to keep up with damn near anything. You can probably outpace most things at the top end but what's the point...

Far better to enjoy the car for how it feels and keep the speeds sensible... I really am getting old...

• Like 2
  • Gold FFM

I have been amazed by the speed of some fairly ordinary looking SEAT estates in Germany which have managed to stay with the 12c. 

As others have said, I don't care about ultimate acceleration and speed, which is totally irrelevant in the UK and almost irrelevant in Germany. It is lovely to blat like hell on a 'bahn but I prefer doing that at 5am on a clear 'bahn with no-one around. I once used a tank of juice in 85 mins doing that on a German bank holiday (no trucks or commuters). 

Justin

• Like 1

Yes, you´re all totally right. It is definitely pointless. I was probably just looking for a bit of emotional support and assurance that it wasn´t the german TÜV (MOT equivalent if I am correct) that took some BHPs away on the last inspection :D

In any case, it should be about the joy of driving your own car and not so much about the comparison with others...

• Like 2

Just remember which one of your looks back once you've parked the car up and are walking away. Can't see anyone having 'once last look' at a Leon! :lol:

• Haha 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

My daily was a Cupra Leon 300 ST DSG AWG until just last week when it's 3-year lease expired - factory standard but still a very quick car for normal road use and with the 4WD not a bad handler either..... 😉

9 hours ago, Bibs said:

I remember a M140i keeping pace with the GT410 Sport I had for a while a few years back on a dual carriageway coming off the roundabouts over here.

That said, throw in a couple of corners and you'd have not seen him for dust. Lotus cars were never the fastest in a straight line but that isn't what they're about at all. 

In the UK I don’t think you’ll open much of gap between anything with more than say 250bhp.

Keeping to under 80ish on country roads and you’ll never gain or lose more than a few metres in my experience.

I spent a weekend in the Scottish Borders with my NA Evora and a friend with his M140i and there was never anything in it, even in corners. Visibility and prudence count for more once you’re up at that power and above.

That M140i vs my 1.6 Elise is another story!

If he was glued behind you, the drag impact would have been massive as well.

There are videos on you tube of seat Leon Cupra  with 400bhp going at 275kph.  

• Gold FFM

In 1990 on the 'bahns, we were overtaken by a 3 series BMW at circa 130mph. We couldn't catch it - despite the old man's Testarossa's best efforts. 

A few miles later, we did pass the Munich legend, which was on the hard shoulder embedded in a pile of smoke. We suspected it had some additional horses than those issued by Bavaria.

Justin 

• Haha 2
  • Gold FFM

@hml_xyGreat to see you are still having lots of fun in that lovely & rare car of yours Heiner!

Being tailgated & provoked to race by modified & heavily tuned hot hatchbacks is inevitable and can be very distracting at times. 😬

The Cupra shares the same 2 litre EA888 engine & AWD drivetrain as the Golf R. A Stage 3 tune provides 500hp, but there's always a danger that the engine will blow if revved out for prolonged periods. Perhaps you should have kept the serious speed up for a while & waited to see his engine blow. 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1