free hit
counters
Fitting an Esprit V8 engine into an Excel - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Fitting an Esprit V8 engine into an Excel

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Fantastic!  When I did my V8 conversion the 918 was my first choice engine but everyone said "you'll regret it" and I ended up fitting a 5.7l LS1 engine.  I still wish I had done it!

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Pete

• Like 1

Good choice, Dave.  I always thought the 918 would be a good choice for the Elite.  I don't know what power it give without the turbos but I doubt it would take much to get good performance from it.

This is going to be an interesting project to follow.

• Like 1

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

The turbos will stay, I will fabricate new manifolds in stainless to ensure they fit. I have tried a block and it looks as if there is room. I will need a few weeks of fiddling under the car and probably a few wasted stainless tubes.

it took 2 attempts to make the gearbox adapter plate and a scrapped alloy plate (£60.00 down the drain). First looks put the turbo outlets too close to the body. I think I have the gearing problem solved by changing the diff. I will list all mods as I go.

Heat will be your main focus point.

The turbos get very hot, and you need to protect the GRP, as the polyester will deteriorate under excessive heat exposure. You may need to cut out the GRP at strategic places and put in an Inconel panel instead.

Direct cold airflow to the turbos should be considered. At low pressure areas (eg. the bonnet), you have to cut holes to get the heat out.

Finally, you probably need a new and stronger gearbox, diff and drive axles. 

The Real Stig Lotus Turbo Esprit, Lotus Elise S1, Lotus Elite, Lancia Delta, Jaguar XF ....Previous cars: Subaru SVX, Porsche 924 Turbo, Lotus Eclat Excel, Lotus Elite, Matra Murena 2,2, Fiat X1/9 5sp

The Toyota W58 has/is used in many competition cars and conversions and will take the 350bhp OK. I have talked to many people to make sure. To be honest it looks a lot more robust than the Renault UN1 it had in the Esprit.

The car is to be used as a GT car traveling through Europe and wont be subjected to 7000rpm dropping the clutch getaways. Again the diff is more than adequate being Toyota but will have to be changed anyway for the gearing. Which means the driveshafts will also change. The conversion has been thought through as best as possible. Brakes are already changed to 320mm discs and 6 pot calipers.

The main reason for the conversion is, apart from being a one off, is the fact that it is going to be  more economical than the 2.2 Excel. On a trip from England to Italy via Monaco my Excel did 22mpg. My esprit V8 on the same trip a couple of years later did 34mpg. Weight of the two vehicles is about the same as is aerodynamics.

Hi Dave,

Good luck with the conversion!  I'm currently trying to squeeze a Lexus V8 into my Excel - it is a pretty tight fit.  This will keep you very busy and your mind thinking all day (and night..) trying to work out where to fit everything!  Will be keeping an eye on your progress as well.

Neil.

• 4 months later...