free hit
counters
1986 Turbo Esprit - Adding Central Locking. - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

I thought I would share my experience adding central locking to my Esprit following on from a previous thread, Central Locking - Anyone else done it? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums going back 10 plus years.

The kit I bought was from Ebay (see picture), it comes with the control unit, two fobs, two actuators and all the cables, brackets and fixings for £30,

I started on the passenger door as I wanted to take the power supply from the cigarette lighter supply (my driver door cigarette lighter doesn’t have power).

Removing the door panel is straight forward, remove the two screws one each side and loosen (don’t remove) the 3 screws holding the door latch, the trims around the latch unclip and come off quite easily. With these off the door panel can be easily slide off and lifted out.

There is a plastic sheet taped inside, this is a factory install detail, and pulled off easily. I took this of and reinstated once I’d finished.

If you review the thread above you will see that the location of the actuators is quite critical to the success of the project I found that the best position was just able the door lock (see photos) and only needed a couple of holes drilled into the fix. The controller also fitted in nicely into the panel next to the window motor.

Wiring up was easy taking power for the cigarette lighter was easily done, setting the actuator up is also quite straight forward, I reversed the cables to match the switching on the remote.

Threading the cables through the door and into the car either required drilling a hole or looping the cables around the door frame, I went for the later pulling the cables through some electric cable I repurposed (see pictures, I’ve tidied this up since the photo)

The install on the drivers side is exactly the same.

My biggest challenge is / was that the actuator isn’t powerful enough to lock / unlock and throw the internal latch on the inside, I oiled and lubricated all the movable components but I still found that it would not work, so I have disconnected the bar to the inside lock. ( I can use the remote to lock the doors from inside if required).

You will spend hours fiddling to make sure it works, I would say I spent 10 hours doing the install, it is fiddley and as with everything Esprit one things leads to another.

I’m very happy with the install it works well.

Esprit Door 4.jpg

Esprit Door 5.jpg

Esprit Door 6.jpg.png

Esprit Door 1.jpg

Esprit Door 2.jpg

Esprit Door 3.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My remote locking kit was for a four door car, with the weaker actuators, so I to doubled up the actuators for my stubborn locks. Works 90% of the time, so I tend to hit the button twice for locking.

Posted Images

My remote locking kit was for a four door car, with the weaker actuators, so I to doubled up the actuators for my stubborn locks. Works 90% of the time, so I tend to hit the button twice for locking.

DualDrivers (3).JPG

DualDrivers (1).JPG

• Like 1

That was my thread, not quite 10 years ago!   Anyway, the cheapo kit still works fine after all these years.   I do recall it did take a lot of fettling to get the push/pull actuators to reliably work.