free hit
counters
Oil Service Mystery - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

I have been meaning to change the oil and filter for a while and finally set about the task on Saturday.

2 questions:

1. The sump plug was a little based about the edges being copper but it was secured into the sump with a large fibre washer, I would have expected a copper washer. I put it back with another large fibre washer but not sure if 2 wrongs make a right.

2. I drained the oil and removed the old filter - I then consulted my technical service folder for how much of the 5 litre 10/50 fully synthetic Millers - everything in there except capacity. So I thought put all 5 litres in as I recall it being just over this from my old Excel. I then poured the oil I'd drained back into the now empty 5 litre container and it only measured at about 4.25 litres. However, my dip stick was only reading 'min'.

So either I'd run very low on oil, below minimum before flushing the old out (unlikely as I check this regularly), or the new oil was not full to the 5 litres stated on the front?

Does anyone know the correct capacity for oil plus filter on 1988 Stevens N/A?

Thxs 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1.  The fibre washer is OK. Some folks have used a garden hose washer in an emergency!  Ours is at least 15 years old (yearly oil changes).   2. Section TDF page 2 of the Service Notes lists

1.  The fibre washer is OK. Some folks have used a garden hose washer in an emergency!  Ours is at least 15 years old (yearly oil changes).

2. Section TDF page 2 of the Service Notes lists oil capacities as 6.5L dry, 5.4L refill. Because Americans can't understand the metric system,😬🥴 I'll just say that I put in 5 quarts then check it, sometimes adding more after the first run. (I DO use a smaller canister oil filter because of clearance issues on Bosch FI cars).

Verify that the dipstick tube is fully seated (the annulus positions it and determines dipstick accuracy)

• Like 1

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

Thanks - I was rushing to get it done before it got dark and missed this in my TDF.

I think the measure of 4.25 Litres drained out, and 5 Litres new oil inserted, but dip-stick still only on MIN (yes it is seated) may have been down to putting 'hot' oil into the container and the plastic expanded thereby appearing that only 4.25 Litres had been drained.

Otherwise, I spilt a lot more than I thought 🙂