free hit
counters
Is your Evora used as a daily? - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Is your Evora used as a daily?

Celica

Do you use yours as a daily or do you have a work horse, a comfort mile muncher, a cheap daily or even an alternative fun but more practical car to use? 

p.s still on the looking out for a Launch Edition ūüėó

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

I do not use my 410Sport as a daily. However, after just insuring it for £300 for 10k miles a year, to include SDP, commuting and business use. I just might start!

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Mainly dry weekend/day off/holiday¬†use. Having a low mileage minter, I‚Äôd prefer¬†to pretty much keep it that way. Putting 50k mileage per year on other cars is preferable to me.ūüėä

• Like 1

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

I would not use my Evora as a daily unless I had a short ish journey to work. I used to use the previous elite/eclat/excels daily to go to work, but as soon as I had a 90 mile round trip bought something else. 

I think most people would struggle having an Evora as their only car , it is impractical for shopping - parking - carrying & towing stuff. My Evora S was easier to drive than the gt430 - due to rear visibility - parking is more difficult - yes I have a rear camera.

• Like 1

I’d happily use mine as a daily (used an Elise as a daily for years), but I can’t stand to see it sitting out in the Aussie sun baking all day, so I only take it to work occasionally these days. 

• Like 1

I used mine (pre-furlough....) for round trips between home (Devon) and London 2- 3 per months, mainly on the A303/M3 (M5/M4 being boring and a nightmare), plus whenever I could at home between trips. About 10K per year, all of them great, except one or two Summer Fridays when all the lemmings are clogging the roads solid.

One of the reasons I went for the Evora is its Toyota engine's reputation for reliability and it seems to love being used, especially on long runs. With a long-ratio gearbox the Evora is a great tourer and averages about 28-30MPG on those runs.

• Like 2

I have 4 cars and the Evora isn't a daily, but I use it for spirited adventures and also the stuff you would use a daily for if the mood takes me, which is often. It gets driven a couple of times a week, every week.

• Like 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I've got 3.5 cars, the best daily (2004 Mini Cooper S) is currently on loan to a mate, the 0.5 is a 2004 911 I share with my sister, the other 1 is a DeLorean currently in a barn in Essex - so yes, my Evora has ended up being a daily! It's a little wide for London streets and rearward visibility isn't great but it's better on speed bumps than all bar the Mini and I don't need to worry about the engine getting short runs and maybe not getting fully up to temperature (like I do with the 996). I will however be getting the Mini back in a month or two and will pass the trivial trips and speed bump pogoing back to that again :)  

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Colin P said:

My 400 was my only car for 6 months. Only reason I got a daily at that point was that at 5 months old it had over 10k on the clock - which wasn't expected, I'd anticipated c10K pa!!

So the only reason it stopped being my daily was the mileage being put on it at the time. Various options running through my head currently one of which is the Evora being my only car again - as work (which was the cause of the mileage) has changed again and it's likely that I will only ever visit an office sporadically (or when I feel like a latte and bacon butty from the kiosk!)

I would however suggest considering the NA IPS or a 400 Auto for daily use. The M25 in my manual NA ceased to be fun fairly quickly.

Not too sure why you are so hung up on a Launch Edition. There are plenty of cars with all 3 packs on them which  is effectively the same thing - only the radios got (marginally) better. 

That reminds me - I have a full set of wheels that I never got around to putting the winter tyres on :wallbash:

Not so hung up on LE, as open to earlier models what’s in budget 

Are you winters same size to what you have now? 

• Gold FFM
10 minutes ago, Celica said:

Are you winters same size to what you have now? 

Yes, they are the 400 Cast wheels. 19s & 20s, whereas the car has the forged wheels on it.

• Like 1

A Lotus is for driving, pork is for breakfast.

My van is my daily followed by my 2004 cooper s then my evora. For the first year my evora was my only car, now its more just sunday runs.

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

The Evora works brilliantly for almost any situation I need a car for there are only a few things I need the Abarth for:

1) Large shopping trips. The Evora can carry most shopping but it's just much easier in the Abarth as I don't need to try to shuffle things in the boot, on the back seats, worry about what is going to melt if it's in the boot etc.

2) Nasty car parks - some multi-story car parks and weird entrance ones I wouldn't risk the Evora clearing nose or middle of the car in places - it's not that often but there are some about (like Windsor dials with it's very sharp exit ramp in the overflow)

3) Carrying my wife's paintings. They are huge, there's just no way...

Outside of that, it gets used for everything. You do have to worry about more things though, like covering the dash for the sake of the airbag, scooting the seat back and forth for easier egress/ingress (i.e. not kicking the dash if you have long legs), trying to find parking spaces where you can guarantee space to open the door so you can get in/out. So, yes, it's basically my daily I can live with it as my only car but don't expect it to be like owning a 'normal' car, there are sacrifices.

• Like 2

Yep also use my Evora as daily.  Gets used for commuting to work, supermarkets and general getting about.   I have a camper van as my other vehicle which gets used if there is any particularly large items to carry and for mountain biking duties.  I don't have any kids so I find the practicality it offers is more than enough for general use.

Not found the Evora to be much of a problem so far.   I try and commute either before or after the rush hour so start / stop traffic is less of an issue.  Parking the car is fine too, sure you have to be slightly picky and not just go for the nearest spot but I rarely have to go far to find a suitable spot to make getting in and out easy.  I also use winter tyres too so it behaves very well in cold, wet or freezing conditions with very little stress.

• Like 1

I do. I don’t drive that much, use the other Llloris in the summer. Wife has her own car if we need more space for longer trips.

• Like 1

When I had mine it was my daily and my only car for 18 months/20k miles. Shopping, holidays, commuting, site visits, the lot. Sometimes felt a little self-conscious in it but no regrets at all. 

It does push the costs up though and you end up doing a lot of cleaning. If I buy another it will be as a pampered 2nd car.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

It’s my main car, but I drive once a fortnight at the most. That will increase after lockdown, but then my MX5 (currently out on loan to a family member) will return and I’ll be spoilt for choice.

My partner's Golf does the heavy lifting, but I’m sure she’d agree that would be first to go out of the three..

• Like 1

Did use it as a daily. Now I would say weekly in rotation with an old Volvo...

Take a guess which one is more comfortable to drive....

Hint: it's not from Sweden... ;-)

• Like 1
For the few who know the difference

My 400 was the Lotus dealer Principals daily for 18 months before I bought it, but now it‚Äôs my ‚Äútouring‚Ä̬†car.

• Like 1

My LE is reserved for road trips and the odd leisure drive, nothing more.

Panda power for runarounds etc - but been working full time from home for almost 6 years now so can afford to leave the Evora in the garage.

Stepping from the Panda to the Evora is always a treat - talk about brain recalibration..!

Some would argue if it's worth keeping such a nice car for so little driving, but i get just as much enjoyment from tinkering/working on it..

..and dare I say it - just looking at it..

• Like 2

I have been working from home for nearly 20 years, so even my daily driver Passat  isn’t actually a daily driver (it’s just clicked over 15,000 miles in three and a half years).

My GTE is purely for fine weather leisure trips. Probably 1000 miles per year on average.

• Like 2