free hit
counters
Will the exhaust valve button in the steering column work? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Will the exhaust valve button in the steering column work?

Some of you might know there is an exhaust valve cable inside the steering wheel column, probably an option for some early V6 models.

Does anyone know will it work on my V6s and how I can wire it up? My connector has 4 wires as attached which is quite different to 410 which only has two.

I am not ready to pay £60 for an OEM switch so any help will be appreciated.  

IMG_4991.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Arun_D's diagram is really useful.

Looks like you can ignore green and pink as they are just for an LED in the switch.

You just need to put a normal switch across black and white/blue wires.

• Like 2

Thanks @Paul_D, that was the next step of feedback I wasn't able to give, which is interesting in itself as there's no LED in the OEM switch!

I'm not 100% sure on whether the flap needs to be activated in TechCentre on a V6S after fitting the switch, but worth a try for the sake of a normal switch.

12 hours ago, Paul_D said:

Arun_D's diagram is really useful.

Looks like you can ignore green and pink as they are just for an LED in the switch.

You just need to put a normal switch across black and white/blue wires.

Thank you @Paul_D! It's a bit weird it has wires for the LED but no LED on the actual switch.

I will have a go with the black and black/white wires and report back in here

20 hours ago, Martrack said:

According to what I have been said, this function has been disabled internally in the ECU of the last production units... So should not work anymore on last produced Exige.

That would kill any desire i might have to change my 2019 410 for a Final Edition 420/430.  The noise is so much of the experience for me and to my ears it is perfect.

Good luck sorting it out.

You can still physically unplug the pipe to the valve for an always-on mode.
There are also some modules with a remote-control to open/close the valve from the cabin.

And there's still the aquarium mode ;)
https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/78587-exhaust-valve-switch/?tab=comments#comment-729529

Edited by Martrack
  • Like 1

On 18/03/2021 at 10:48, Martrack said:

According to what I have been said, this function has been disabled internally in the ECU of the last production units... So should not work anymore on last produced Exige.

It is still on my 2021 350

• Like 1

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Fitted one to my 2020 410 Sport 20th Anniversary edition and works straight away, works in all modes and comes up on the dash to say open or closed. Happy days 👍

Purchased my online from B&C and took about 15 minutes to install 😀

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’d like to give this install a go my 2013 V6 S doesn’t have race mode or the exhaust valve switch button but if the wires are there then could be worth a go. Anyone know if the lower cowl is easy to remove to inspect the wires?

Edited by mario308

On 04/04/2021 at 15:25, mario308 said:

I’d like to give this install a go my 2013 V6 S doesn’t have race mode or the exhaust valve switch button but if the wires are there then could be worth a go. Anyone know if the lower cowl is easy to remove to inspect the wires?

The lower cowl is easy to remove, its just 4 screws I think 

On 04/04/2021 at 22:25, mario308 said:

If you have 2013 car you are likely to have the same 4 wires connector as mine, you should have the connector there but I still can't figure out how to connect the wires.

I have tried to connect the No.2 & No.3 in Arun's diagram but no success, also tried few other combinations and turned out browning the fuse so I gave up at the end. :(

To remove the lower cowl, there are 6 screws in total, 2 at the indicators, 2 near the steering wheel and 2 underneath.

On Exige S (V6) the valve button and Race driving-mode was part of the optional "Race Pack" (something around 1.500 Euros) which is hard coded to the ECU. My dealer says this can't be unlocked, only from Hethel itself. Ironicly all Exige S have the full Race-Pack functionaly and complete wiring. A very rude method for generating extra money ;)  So a button will not lead to sucess.

This seems to be different on newer Exiges.

Edited by ArthouseCompany

2 hours ago, ArthouseCompany said:

On Exige S (V6) the valve button and Race driving-mode was part of the optional "Race Pack" (something around 1.500 Euros) which is hard coded to the ECU. My dealer says this can't be unlocked, only from Hethel itself. Ironicly all Exige S have the full Race-Pack functionaly and complete wiring. A very rude method for generating extra money ;)  So a button will not lead to sucess.

Hi Peter, i’m well aware that I won’t be able to enable race mode I just wanted the switch on the cowl to enable the exhaust to open and close manually.

1 hour ago, mario308 said:

Hi Peter, i’m well aware that I won’t be able to enable race mode I just wanted the switch on the cowl to enable the exhaust to open and close manually.

I know what you want but please read my post again.  Both this switch and the Race mode are part of optional Race Pack and can not be unlocked.  Your switch will be without function. 

Edited by ArthouseCompany

21 hours ago, ArthouseCompany said:

Thank you for clarify that and no wonder I couldn't get it work lol 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...