free hit
counters
Evora Track Day - Trackdays - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora Track Day

Cdm2018

Silly question ?

can you go on a track day and not have to pretend your Lewis Hamilton and go around a brisk but steady pace ? 
having only done a super car rip off experience day where you were restricted to 70mph and loads of chicanes could I go to track and do a little more brisk pace ? 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Or there's this. LoT are probably one of the best TDO's around too, you'll really enjoy their events.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

My wife runs in Novice class and enjoys driving the Exige at her pace. When we go to a new track, she gets an instructor to help her find the line. After going to the same track a few times, she will test to become a Solo driver but remains in Novice class. One thing most drivers forget about participating in a HPDE is that it is not about how fast you go but how well you play with others. Managing traffic is one of the most important things you need to learn while participating in a HPDE. This is a very important concept from both perspectives; the Passer and the Passe.

Ask around and find a good group to go to the track with. This is actually more important than anything else. A group that enforces the rules and holds others accountable seems overbearing but in reality, they are the best groups. These groups will emphasize safety and that is when an event is fun and learning because you have less to worry about.

Have fun,
Eldon   

Eldon

your reference to novice class sounds more for me as I am worried about my pride and joy being damaged by others going hell for leather 

I would move over in situation of faster cars but don’t want to feel bullied off at same time ? 
I really would be interested in doing the lotus track academy experiences but until Covid restrictions are lifted I can’t see that happening till late summer ? 

Eldon is in the USA so things might be organised slightly differently over there. 

In the UK, most trackdays are organised in one of 2 ways: open pit lane or sessions. With open pit lane, drivers come and go as they choose. Therefore, the faster drivers/cars will be mixing with the less experienced ones.

However, sessions are normally streamed into ‘novice’, ‘intermediate’ and ‘experienced’. You will have less total time on track during the day but all of the cars that you are out with will be at a similar experience level/speed. 

If you sign up for LoT, even during the open pit lane days, there is very little (if any) ‘bullying’ or aggressive driving from the faster cars. They are always very well managed. 

(Any anti-social driving is normally reported pretty quickly). 

• Like 1

As Jonny said, I am located in the USA. From what Jonny said, I would stick with a "Sessions" track day and not an "Open Pit Lane". That is why I strongly suggested that you speak to others that have run events with the group that you are thinking about attending with. Track Days are suppose to be a fun and safe way to experience your and the cars capabilities in a safe manner.

Later,
Eldon

If you sign up for LoT, even during the open pit lane days, there is very little (if any) ‘bullying’ or aggressive driving from the faster cars. They are always very well managed. 

LoT what and where ? I saw B&C run a track day are these from dealers or these organised by lotus groups ? 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Whether or not you get bully and aggressive drivers mostly depends on the organisers as that kind of dictates what kind of crowd you get.  All organisers have it in their rules that kind of behaviour is not tolerated but its up to the marshals and organisers to enforce it.

I'm fairly novice only done handful of track days and so far I haven't had too much trouble.  I've done days with Javelin and MSV which are towards the budget end of the spectrum so attracts everything from Renault Clio's to Mac 720S.  They were both run well in my opinion and I didn't have any issues and felt comfortable driving round on the track.  Don't know if I got lucky or the chavs knew bad behaviour is not tolerated by these organisers regardless of the cheap price so they didn't turn up.

As already recommended, get an instructor to show you the ropes, I cannot stress how much this helps!  Not only will you go round faster but you'll also do it with more confidence and safety as you wont be doing silly things that might make you crash.  Very highly recommend getting some tuition.

Post up on the forum if you book a day, there could be helpful experienced forum members to show you the lines etc to help you on your way.  I once did a track day at Silverstone and was I nervous due to it being a new track for me and it was wet.  But @Bravo73 and @alias23 were also in attendance and were very helpful in calming my nerves and taking me on passenger rides etc ...  they really helped and I was very grateful.

Also don't forget the Lotus Driving Academy, you'll be in their Elise's rather your own car, but they really teach you how to drive fast and safe.  Its not just an experience day where you have a big smile but learn nothing.  I did the full course, had loads of fun and learnt so much about car control.

Edited by electro_boy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1