free hit
counters
Problem starting due to Cobra 6422 alarm system - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Problem starting due to Cobra 6422 alarm system

Hello all,

I have researched this issue on the web and found multiple instances of it but no definitive answer to the problem. After allowing my 2002 Esprit V8 to sit with battery disconnected for many years, I attempted to restart it. The alarm mobilizer light does not light up when the power is restored. I can use the manual key to unlock the door and use the alarm contact demobilizer on the center console (between seat) point but it has no affect. The engine will not start. I have viewed several posts on this issue but have seen no real solution. There is talk about a battery that is a component of the alarm system that may need to be replaced. I am sure someone else has run into this issue. Any help is appreciated  Thank you,

Rogers

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

Is the fuel pump running? Is the engine turning over?

Only here once

Sounds like no power is getting to the alarm. The internal battery will be dud by now anyway unless it's been changed (very unlikely).

Check the fuse it may be blown or given how long it stood the fuse contacts may be corroded, could also be corrosion elsewhere.

Try starting it with a door open, to turn on the interior light. I found on mine (a similar but earlier alarm) when I had a problem with the main power feed, power back feeds from the courtesy lamp circuit !

• 3 weeks later...

If the central door locking isn’t working from the fob the alarm unit behind the glovebox has no power. So it won’t be powering the immobiliser and you’ve got no chance. 
I had a recent issue when my car had been sitting but it was just the immobiliser not working. 
Check all your fuses, but also remove and then refit all the fuses and relays. This worked on mine as some corrosion had built up on the kegs of one of the relays and unplugging and plugging back in scrapes the legs enough to clear the corrosion. 
could be a fuse gone as well. You’ll find that if you inspect every fuse when you reseat them.