free hit
counters
left / right weight balance between RHD and LHD - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

left / right weight balance between RHD and LHD

lotus-62

as an owner of an LHD esprit I was just wondering if lotus tilted the engine to the left on purpose as a counter balance for the driver on rhd cars.  

on LHD cars it seems a bit odd to have the driver and a big part of the engine on the left side,  so theoretically speaking would a single RHS fuel tank with the same capacity as both L and R tanks be any better or is there a downside to a single fuel tank on the right side to counter for the LHS driver as well?  did lotus solve this with different spring rates (L to R)  or is there no differents between a RHD and an LHD car and are the RHD owners more lucky with the set up? 

just brainstorming lol 

rick

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
22 minutes ago, lotus-62 said:

a single RHS fuel tank with the same capacity as both L and R tanks

Crikey!  That would be a BIG tank! 🙄:thumbdown:

Wouldn't that affect balance/handling on LH versus RH curves, too?🥴

++++++++++++

I don't know about spring rates, but some LHD Esprits have needed swapping of RH and LH front & rear springs, to make them sit 'square" (measured at the front cross-member, 170mm to the pavement on each end).

We did this on our car, and two friend's 4 cylinder SEs.

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

Differing springs L-R is news to me but where Lotus are concerned it's possible, if unlikely. Lotus built on the Vauxhall slant 4 foundation with a view toward V-8 production ultimately. The Vauxhall likely was built with the driver's weight in mind, given UK provenance. What I've got in mind for my LHD S2 is shifting the bloody heavy rad/fans package as far to RHS as possible ( done ) and run the car with fuel only in RHS tank unless more is needed, typically for longer trips. There's a bit of trick plumbing required in order to realise the fuel load target but I expect it will be comfortably manageable. Not so easy managing driver's weight though. 😆

Cheers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drdoom said:

Lotus built on the Vauxhall slant 4 foundation with a view toward V-8 production ultimately.

This.

No change in spring rates but on the early LHD cars, Lotus fitted a spacer on the left rear spring perch to "compensate." A079D4047F

• Like 2

3 hours ago, drdoom said:

. Not so easy managing driver's weight though. 

I lost 9kilo in half a year so by the time I egual the un-balance I am either dead because I have no meat left on my body or dead because of old age.  but that fuel tank thing you did is nice.  I have been looking very good yesterday, done some measurments and 60 liter is doable with a bit of chopping in the grp....  but I am not yet at it......

Not so confident in your plan, Rick, there is a deliberate structure crafted in GRP by Lotus for the tank wells and this would have been for good reason. I prefer to carry a limited measure of petrol at a low height ( handling per CG ) rather than load up with an expanded tank. Lotus were clever enough in deploying the 2 tanks optimally from the start and we shall not readily improve upon that. In situations where I would load up both tanks for extended travel I hope it will be possible to draw first from the LHS tank, so lowering weight on that side whilst maintaining that on the LHS.

I have seen this grp part, feels very weak, looks like a very thin layer of grp over some foam (I can push it in with my thumd) , was thinking about this and it looks like it is just there to let the fuel tank sit on.  but it is just an idea that crossed my mind and I really like your idea about using the lhs tank for long trips only.  how do you switch between them? a flow valve in between or 2 fuel pumps with a dash mounted switch?

from the gt40s forum I know they use LP pumps in both fuel tanks to fill a single swirl pot that feeds a HP pump

On 24/03/2021 at 22:57, drdoom said:

Not so confident in your plan, Rick, there is a deliberate structure crafted in GRP by Lotus for the tank wells and this would have been for good reason.

is this the part you are talking about? 

20210312_175359.jpg