free hit
counters
Fascinating Esprit GT3 Conundrum - ECU/Freescan/Espritmon - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Fascinating Esprit GT3 Conundrum

• Gold FFM

Finally back doing a few motors, and the first Esprit is a tough one!  Owner took 2h20 to drive 36 miles to me, saying it won't rev over 3000RPM.  I drove it when he arrived and I was lucky to get it to 2000 and had to fight just to get it round the block.  Initially thought it might be a collapsed turbo hose, but induction is all fine.  ECU shows all sensors functioning within range except IAC at 6(!), and after reset only hitting 25.  New RH tank, new injectors, no obvious issues.  Fuel pressure at regulator 3 bar.  give it a little throttle and fuel pressure drops significantly, engine stalls or labours at around 750RPM and then will not rev at all.  FP comes back to 3 bar, however.  Turn off/restart, and idle comes back to normal until next attempt at throttle.  Rinse and repeat ad nauseam.

Running through EMH, tests demonstrate a very high likelihood of faulty fuel pump (pressure regulator swapped with known good, no dice, and filter clear).  So, changed the pump - deep joy - and no change whatsoever!  I have shared this info with a couple of highly esteemed friends and they both agree with my diagnosis, which will be tested in anger tomorrow!  Discuss...

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, bugger me with a fish fork.  Found it. When the owner first spoke with me, I preliminarily diagnosed a collapsed airbox-turbo hose.  When it arrived I tested it by compressing it along its

Following a frustrating wait for parts, it's sorted!  Turbo hose replaced, and plenty of other stuff found and rectified/replaced during diagnosis.  I think the owner will get a pleasant surprise, as

@Sparkymost people don't bother going all the way to Beachy Head to do that you know.

Posted Images

• Gold FFM

Which hammer are you going to use on which part of the car? 

I was once told the answer to that is why some people can charge a fortune for so little time on a job!

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

Next time we meet, I shall share a few trade secrets with you and you alone. 😉

• Haha 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Do you want me to pop up and have a look?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Bibs said:

Do you want me to pop up and have a look?

I have rum.  You know, that  rum.  Forget the car.

1 hour ago, snowrx said:

Wrong hose to the FPR?

Tried that one.  All hoses in the right place and functioning normally.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

It's a new sports cat, so highly unlikely, but I haven't checked for it - other than seeing gases exiting!

Fibre glass repair to fuel tank😜

• Haha 1

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

• Gold FFM

Ah, the good old days!  I must find that pic.

• Gold FFM

Aha!  A small digression.  Filler covering bad corrosion, painted black, with telltale spillage down the sides.

DSC_7707a.jpg

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
4 hours ago, Sparky said:

Next time we meet, I shall share a few trade secrets with you and you alone. 😉

So you're gonna knock me up then! Can't wait...  :popo:

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

I'll never forget our Mercedes encounter.

Just throwing mud, since a tank has been changed, is it possible there was an error on install of the new tank?  A hose pinched, a breather blocked some how so its building vacuum? Seems unlikely.

• Gold FFM

News at 6 (ish).  Don't touch this dial.

Been waiting since 5:45 in anticipation of an update and now taken to the gin, flipping fibber that @Sparky fella .....

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400

• Gold FFM

I've had to drag myself out of a mire of drunken self-pity for this.

First, thanks to @Chillidoggy for sending this POS my way.

Changed ECU, TPS, relevant relays, verified earths, logged numerous Freescan sessions, investigated glovebox, sunvisor & ashtrays (thanks so much to @Dan E and @JNW3 for their technical input).  Had fuel pump out again and removed pulse damper.  Checked absolutely feckin everything and still I'd get more speed out of the mother-in-law.

The car starts, idles fine until any attempt at throttle, when it fades at around 2.5k and won't recover properly.  At this point it seems to be sucking air like a vacuum cleaner and I have no idea why.  Turn it off and it 'resets' itself, and we can play the same game all over again.  Long chats today with @Chillidoggy and @CHANGES , and we're all confused.  Might be an age thing though.

Tomorrow I'll be swapping known good coils and ignition module, and maybe O2 sensor.  Whip plenum off to get back to basics.  Thereafter it's only injectors, and then I'll be heading to Beachy Head to toss myself off.

Freescan file attached, showing idle and 3 attempts at throttle.  Also 4 useful parameters charted here:

image.thumb.png.ff444ac6c7a26de9be83601b43aa62aa.png

GT3_3.xlsx

• Haha 1

You’re welcome Sparky - always more than happy to help out 😊👍🏻🔧 

• Gold FFM
5 minutes ago, RobinB5 said:

@Sparkymost people don't bother going all the way to Beachy Head to do that you know.

Agreed.  Sometimes I only get as far as Crawley.

• Haha 1

• Gold FFM

Could it be the fuel filter? Something that clogs it when demand rises and settles back down when there's no pressure? I know the flow shouldn't really be dependent on engine load/rpm...

Thinking of it, I've had a Range Rover with a collapsed air filter in once. Idled fine, but as soon as some power was needed it was choking.

Good luck!

Filip 

PS: It does make me feel a little bit better knowing that even the best are sometimes baffled by problems customers throw their way. 😉

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM

No, fuel filter is fine.  And I've checked out the tank interiorand the pipework.  But please, keep asking these questions!  It'll probably end up to be something really simple.  I'll be removing the plenum tomorrow to circumvent induction.

• Gold FFM
4 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Agreed.  Sometimes I only get as far as Crawley.

Crawley can have that affect.

Does the O2 sensor signal look dodgy? I thought that when it's active it should all over the place otherwise it's just a dumb (temperature dependent) resistor. Is there a relationship between that dodgy O2 signal and whether the system is open/closed loop?