free hit
counters
Have you tracked your Evora or do you have another track toy? - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Have you tracked your Evora or do you have another track toy?

Celica

Do many actually track their Evora’s, whether it’s beginners around a track or open track day events etc.? 
I would imagine the consumables be expensive, so quite costly in the Evora; but how does it hold up on brakes, heat etc.?

Or do you own another track toy, if so what? I see the cheaper options of Clio, Civic, Mini; being capable and fun toys. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I do track the Evora 400 1 or 2 times a year. Tyres can be the issue if you're doing very long stints or do not take care of lowering their pressure when hot. Apart from that, brakes, etc are very effective and long lasting. 

• Like 1

Taken mine on track a few times and driven many other Evora's on track to test (mainly Hethel) and never had an issue. It's pretty light on its feet considering so nowhere near as pricey as a 911 or Macca to track but similarly the Elise/Exige are better suited to track work in my opinion as they again, are much lighter.

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

Took my NA on track a few times and it was a real blast. No issues re heat or tyres or brakes. Just good fun.  I'm not the fastest on track but do seem to brake later than many cars in front of me, especially for the hairpin at Knockhill, but it was all just good fun.

I also love my Evora's so I was not overstepping the limits as the last I wanted to do was to punt it into a barrier or the gravel!  I'm very much a fun on the track guy as opposed to have to be the fastest on track guy lol, but I also wouldn't say I was a mobile chicane :)

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

As always it depends on your driving style. Brake pads and tyres are the main consumables. The harder you drive the more they wear. I also change my oils and filters more often than most.

Heat is your enemy in terms of performance but I haven't had any heat related damage. 

The Evora is a very good track car which I initially found surprising given its weight and engine position. 

• Like 1

Doing my first track outing in my Evora at Snetterton on the 29th April. Really looking forward to it. Am more used to going round there on a bike! They really are cheap on brakes and tyres :D

downloadz_100820_11987_snetterton.thumb.jpg.2d5f5ceefe5c97f2269095abf9882f7a.jpg

downloadz_100820_11343_snetterton.thumb.jpg.c570113bb71f5e3e113f9961d7155932.jpg

• Like 1

Testing the 400 at Hethel. Did a lot of laps that day :D

• Like 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM
2 minutes ago, Bruss said:

Just to remind me more than anything of happier pre covid times

1619179_FB.thumb.jpg.7c40502cab51b6c41716b308190dc9ad.jpg

Love that picture. Car looks superb and my, those wheels. Lovely!

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

2 hours ago, jerzybondov said:

Doing my first track outing in my Evora at Snetterton on the 29th April. Really looking forward to it. Am more used to going round there on a bike! They really are cheap on brakes and tyres :D

downloadz_100820_11987_snetterton.thumb.jpg.2d5f5ceefe5c97f2269095abf9882f7a.jpg

downloadz_100820_11343_snetterton.thumb.jpg.c570113bb71f5e3e113f9961d7155932.jpg

See you there! Though will be in the Caterham assuming I can get the alternator fixed rather than the 400.

I took mine to Snetterton twice last year, for an evening and a full day. Totally unsurprisingly, it was mega and, of course, performed faultlessly. It's just as fast round Snetterton as a V6 exige - I had one before the 400 - and a whole lot more civilised away from the track also. Anyone with an evora should track it at least once, just to see what the thing can do when unrestricted by the law!)

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Yep.  Bought the 410 as I thought it felt better on track than an Exige 350.  More stable under heavy braking and no need to arm wrestle with the steering wheel!

In terms of consumables I did around 2 x track days and around 3000 miles on the rears before new tyres needed.  Brakes excellent - held up without any problems.  No fade during each session.  Didn't need pads replacing even after 4 x track days and 7000 miles.  Main problem is that the 410 exhaust is too loud for most track days.  I'm going to get a Komotec db eater to see if I can get the noise down to 102db which should open up a few more events.

@Gadzooksyou will probably have to go aftermarket if you want to do lots of trackdays. I have a 2bular lightweight on mine with some enormous additional slip on cans, it just about passes Snetterton on the driveby if you are careful. There's also a full QP option along with the Hangar 111 equivalent version (plus no doubt some other manufacturers). Having said all that, the car is far too lovely to use on track as much as I would like to so I've bought a 7 to go with it!

Still got the 2bular fitted because I think it looks better with twin tailpipes.

@Gadzooks I’ve currently got a hanger111 quiet track exhaust on my 400 ready for a track day in late April. I don’t know how the 2bular compares but the noise is so disappointing compared to the standard 400. In future I’ll leave it to the very last minute before swapping it over for any track days

• Gold FFM

@62dave thanks - that's also good to know.  I'll defo give the db eater a go to see if I can get the best of both worlds.  The standard exhaust is such a giggle that it would be a shame to lose it.

It would be really good to know if the DB eater makes enough of a reduction - I’d happily ditch the quiet exhaust for one of those if it does the trick!

I've got mine to track a few times a year to replace my old K Series S2 Elise . The first ones on the 17th at Blyton which I'm looking forward to a especially as a comparison to the Elise which I took there a few times.

C

Bike banter moved here :)

Evora NA

• 1 month later...

I've got a Caterham R400 (k-series) for tracks days. Had it since mind-2000's. Tracked it a lot and it's hard as nails - and costs nothing. Only once did I have an issue with a electric spade connector on the start motor breaking in spa - luckily there is a VERY steep ramp down from the pits so made bump starting easy. 

Keen to try my Evora 400 aganist it as somewhere like Spa, where the caterham tops out at 130mph about 20% along the Kemmel straight.

Simon