free hit
counters
Gear knob help - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Gear knob help

Hi all,

First post here as I don't have an Elite/Eclat/Excel but an Elan Sprint.

So I'm doing a 5 speed conversion and bought a wooden 5 speed knob from ebay, thinking it was from a +2 Elan, however its not as the internal thread is much larger so wondering if its from an Esprit/Eclat/Excel/Elite.

To me looks like a metic fine thread, 12mm at a guess, so can anyong confirm the thread size?

cheers

Mark

ps putting in Esprit section too.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may not help much, but I have a round wooden gear knob that I bought years ago. Have never owned an elan so I  suppose it may have been for an elite/eclat. If seems to have a 10mm thread. The emblem in the middle fell out years ago.

I did buy an early teardrop gear knob from a car boot sale for 30p, (30 years ago...) and sold it on ebay for £92 around 15 years ago. 

The one I have is round like the attached - which is a photo of one in an excel.

image_2021-03-29_192533.png

That’s the knob ok, it’s just the internal thread I need. Might have to make/buy an adaptor.

is yours in good condition?

cheers

I'll send you a pic tomorrow, as I said the thread is 10mm, as I put a 10mm bolt into it.

I'll have a look round to see if the top bit is around somewhere, I cannot remember if it was a five speed gear layout or a lotus emblem.

Here are some pics. Could not find the emblem piece that sits on the top, the recess is 1 inch in diameter. I cannot remember how long I have had it, I may have re-varnished it some 20 years ago?  You can see the thread starts a distance into the base, and the end of the thread.

Actually forgot I had it, but have kept in a drawer where I keep a stock of watch/other batteries so came across it when I last changed a small battery.

IMGP8509.JPG

IMGP8511.JPG

IMGP8513.JPG

IMGP8514.JPG

Hi @exeterjeep, think I’m out of luck with that, the top is flattened out too much. I ordered a thread adapter off Amazon today, took a punt at the internal thread size.

thanks

100CC59D-D119-45E3-91D6-ECFBE1D05EA8.jpeg

A69549EE-7456-426C-9ABA-DA2290038E00.jpeg

7 hours ago, Mark030358 said:

I ordered a thread adapter off Amazon today, took a punt at the internal thread size.

Hope you get it sorted. Will put my one away for another 20 years... 

• Like 1