free hit
counters
Copying design cues from the Lamborghini Miura? - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Copying design cues from the Lamborghini Miura?

I own an S1 and as well all know they get bloody hot as there is no ventilation for the engine bay as such. The S2 had 'ears' fitted behind the rear quarterlight windows to help cool the engine bay but some people prefer the purity of the S1 design and I'm afraid I'm one of those.

I follow Iain Tyrrells video series on YouTube and I was interested to see the underside of the chassis for a Lamborghini Miura they were restoring. There are a pair of air scoops in the middle towards the engine bay which I believe are there to route cool air into the engine bay but they're not visible normally unless you get down on your hands and knees. So I'm now wondering if this would be a worthwhile modification to the S1 chassis and how effective it would be.

You can see the scoops here if you fast forward to 16:50. What I know about this sort of stuff you could write on the back of a stamp so if anybody with more knowledge than me can chime in I'd be interested to hear what you think... 

• Like 2

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Paul, there's no doubt the first Esprit retained a troubling measure of heat within the bay. It's likely worst when parked after a run, given no upper area outlets for convection to work in aid of the matter. One mate who quite loves his S1 replaced the side 1/4 lights aft of the cabin with expanded mesh in satin black, so functioning rather as do the S2 ears but absent their protruding presence. This did entail some further work in terms of air entry and water management bits fashioned in light GRP, all in all considered a success. Hard to see the engine bay heat well managed absent some way that the hot air may escape freely both underway and stopped.

Cheers   

I do find it odd that during the development of the S1, the Lotus engineers didn't think they needed air intakes behind the rear quarter windows.  They would have known that the earlier 1971 Countach concept had engine heat issues, so 1974 Countach LP400 had large intakes past the rear quarter windows and vent slots over the engine bay, so I wonder why Lotus thought they didn't need them.

Even Giugiaro's 1971 Esprit concept sketch had air intakes behind the rear quarter windows.

Esprit_Sketch.jpg

• Like 1

I’ve often thought an underside air scoop could be fabricated to channel a flow to the oil cooler but is probably pointless as on normal runs , the standard system can cope on my s2, 

temperature does creep up sitting in traffic . Need to consider not only how to get cooling  air in to the engine bay but also how to get the hot air out

Only (potential) problem with the oil cooler is road debris being thrown up from the wheel and going through it!

• Like 1

Does your car have a "belly pan" like later models?

If the answer is yes, here are some ideas. Last two pics show additional brake cooling ducts.

IMG_2903.JPG

IMG_8019.JPG

oil cooler fan&tray.JPG

image_1432244868829.jpg

• Like 1

MrDangerUS