free hit
counters
Nice little earner - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Nice little earner

mdw

We are converting our 7 x 7 meter garage to an annexe.    This involves replacing the double door with a footing,  one row of blocks then a meter of studding and windows above that.  The existing lintel above the window stays with the 4 rows of brick above.      I have just been told I have to pay £295 plus vat for a structual engineer to come out to design the footing  2 meters wide  to hold one row of blocks.  The world has gone mad.     The engineer is going to cost more than the footing and blocks.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

£295.00 sounds an absolute bargain for useless advice.  We had a Structural Engineer come in and provide his boundless expertise on raising some lintels into the loft space. We also specified steel beams to be used. He came back with a solution that used timber and would have the beams poking out of the roof - that was a good £600.00 well spent. Suffice to say we upgraded his solution and went with Steel - so far the house is still standing and nothing is poking out of the roof.

• Haha 2

Yes I've had similar - £247 to provide the structural details on the architects design for a ground floor extension at rear of house...I had not realised how ignorant I was when it came to this, I thought that was part of the remit of the architect.

I know big engineering challenges like bridges and sky scrapers would need expert structural engineers, but just hadn't realised for houses, it was distinct from the architect....

So yes, nice little earner indeed!

Hi, who has told you you need to have a structural engineer to design the footings, we normally bridge gaps of that size with 150x100 pre cast lintels or excavate the foundation to match the depth of the foundations on the rest of the garage, but does seem over the top

• Gold FFM

Agree, local building control only usually ask for calcs etc for complicated or borderline spans, surely the builder would just build that.

On the other hand - if you'd spent years at university to become a qualified Structural Engineer and had to pay for their PI insurance etc what would your usual call out fee be? I'd be blaming whoever suggested it was necessary rather than the Engineer. surprised anyone would come out, I know what my Dad's response to being called out to that would have been.

I wouldn't start a discussion about architects with Dad. In his words, "They draw it, because they think it looks nice, I have to make the bloody things work."

A Lotus is for driving, pork is for breakfast.

Architect and local council BCO  said get the engineer in nobody wants to be responsible!!!.      I wouldnt mind but its one row of blocks high  to keep the studwork off  the floor and only about 6 -7 foot of studding / window above   over a 2 meter span.     The slab is 200mm concrete with 2 layers of mesh in it and has been fine with estate cars and suvs cars driving back and forth over it. 

• Gold FFM

Bloody useless the lot of them, it’s why we have the whole cladding issue. 

Dig the footing, get them in to inspect, if they won’t sign it off tell them to tell you what is wrong with it, as in why they have failed it. 

• Like 1

A Lotus is for driving, pork is for breakfast.

Building control guy came out this morning and was happy to give a footing size.    Even he was confused as to why the office said no.   One step forward!!

Probably given to a newly qualified BCO to look at in the office, they are dangerous, no experience and have normally swallowed the book!. Can cost people a lot of money