free hit
counters
Steering wheel very slightly off centre - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

When driving dead ahead the steering wheel is very slightly pointing to the right.   The car drives perfectly and tracks properly etc, so I'm not feeling the need for an alignment check.  Even tyre wear also.

How easy is it to remove the steering wheel and move it 'one spline' to the left?   I have a steering wheel puller, as I've removed the steering wheel on my Elise S1 a few times, just wondered if anyone knows what size socket I'll need for the nut?  Presume if I disconnect the battery first I won't get an airbag light coming on when I refit the wheel and reconnect the battery?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Dave

As an alternative you could adjust the tracking by equal amounts on both sides until the steering wheel is lined up correctly. I'm not sure if that would be easier.

10 hours ago, mg4lotus said:

Hi Dave

As an alternative you could adjust the tracking by equal amounts on both sides until the steering wheel is lined up correctly. I'm not sure if that would be easier.

but usually correct. The steering wheel is rarely removed and refitted. I'd get a geo and tracking done first.

I have used the string method to adjust the tracking, not on the Lotus but on the Volvo, and if you do it correctly you can get it fairly accurate. Not laser accurate, but fairly accurate. Certainly good enough to put you on until it is done properly.