free hit
counters
German engineering - the best! - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

German engineering - the best!

1 hour ago, C8RKH said:

EMS? Need I say more?  Funny how when you have a go at Porsche, even on  a Lotus forum, the content get's skewed to look at how bad everyone else is. Is this unconscious bias or conscious bias again in favour of showing Porsche in the best light?

It seems some brands can just do no wrong or turn out a turkey.

I’m confused, have you read something from my post as defending Porsche? My point was that in the Ford example, the worst thing they did was keep letting people die... I’m not making any point about Porsche quality...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

"I’m not making any point about Porsche quality..."

Lol - BUT that is the whole point of the Topic @r3nault - Porsche quality and the perception that German engineering in cars is THE best! What does a Ford quality issue have to do with that? So, I just commented back on how quickly the topic focus was moved away from Porsche and the perception of German engineering being all conquering.

Not an issue as I readily drift topics (not got the skill to drift cars) but certainly an observation that topics about German Engineering and the perception  of it being the best quickly get focused elsewhere.

We all know Ford and GM (well, American car manufacturers in general) as well as many UK and French car manufacturers have had their fair share of issues with cars being made poorly etc (it didn't exactly go well for Merc when they shifted some car production to the US for instance) BUT none of this manufacturers or Countries go on and on and on and on about how exceptional their engineering is and how their cars are the best.  So to post up failures of Ford etc was to miss the point completely to be honest.

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

It’s amazing the outright lies perpetuated by the German manufacturers. Many items simple aren’t made in Germany - but are marketed as being so.

Solar PV panels was one big such industry that made a huge thing of this and the German government stamped on Chinese imports. Absolutely never ever have the Germans ever made silicon wafers for solar PV panels. Most were made in India where they could pour the hazardous chemicals straight into the river.

Only here once

2 hours ago, C8RKH said:

"I’m not making any point about Porsche quality..."

Lol - BUT that is the whole point of the Topic @r3nault - Porsche quality and the perception that German engineering in cars is THE best! What does a Ford quality issue have to do with that? So, I just commented back on how quickly the topic focus was moved away from Porsche and the perception of German engineering being all conquering.

Not an issue as I readily drift topics (not got the skill to drift cars) but certainly an observation that topics about German Engineering and the perception  of it being the best quickly get focused elsewhere.

We all know Ford and GM (well, American car manufacturers in general) as well as many UK and French car manufacturers have had their fair share of issues with cars being made poorly etc (it didn't exactly go well for Merc when they shifted some car production to the US for instance) BUT none of this manufacturers or Countries go on and on and on and on about how exceptional their engineering is and how their cars are the best.  So to post up failures of Ford etc was to miss the point completely to be honest.

Not much point arguing with this level of cognitive dissonance. But don’t tell me you’re now a believer in unconscious bias?

• Gold FFM

Haven't got a clue what your talking about mate. But have a great day all the same.

• Love 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

59 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Haven't got a clue what your talking about mate. But have a great day all the same.

Likewise.

FWIW, I actually agree with you, Porsche quality ain’t what it’s made out to be. And S1 Evora vs 996 may as well be Bentley vs Corolla on interior materials.

I thought briefly about a 997, but didn’t want an IMS grenade just to look like a dickhead everywhere...

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

Just to make sure I am being balanced!  (not saying I am balanced, just trying to keep the topic balanced. You get me?)

So it seems we were fed a lie re Porsche reliability for years, right up until around 2015/2016.  

In 2015, Porsche were the second least reliable car brand in the UK (Bentley was first!  - just put that in there for those of you thinking about a Continental GT run about).  The study was conducted independently by WhatCar and Warranty Direct so should be given some credence/validity.

However, within a couple of years and by 2017, JD Power had them at the top of the charts with the same relaibility as Lexus (110 problems per 100 cars). Look though, on average that means that every Porsche (and Lexus) still had at least 1 issue on average. However, credit where it is due. A great result.

The most reliable Porsche cars seem to be the Cayenne. The Macan and the Cayman in that order.

The most unreliable are the Boxster and then the 911, both of whom are generally considered still to have a poor Reliability Index score.

The information was gleaned from OSV, using manufacturer data, warranty companies and user surveys.

So, if you want a Porsche, post 2016 and a Cayman if you want a sports car.

If you want a skip - then obviously the Cayenne and Macan will be perfect.

• Gold FFM
14 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

What were the complaints about? Were they niff-naff, or serious. I’m wondering whether Porsche owners might be more critical than some other owners.

No idea, it was not specified, however the "value" of the warranty claims were a consideration. That being the case i would say they were not niff-naff.

I can't believe Porsche owners would be any more critical than Lotus ones given the niff-naff complaints on here constantly about Lotus products :rofl:

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Cracks appearing in places on the body they shouldn’t - very poor paint indeed - electrical faults and engines burning oil and exploding. All in all - fantastic German engineering.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Only here once

• Gold FFM
5 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Cracks appearing in places on the body they shouldn’t - very poor paint indeed - electrical faults and engines burning oil and exploding. All in all - fantastic German engineering.

Yeah, but come on Barry, Evora's have a creaky seat and an airbag cover that has weak clips that snap!  So German is deffo better!

• Haha 2

• Gold FFM

You are forgetting the 2 clutches I needed to put in mine 🤥 and the messy incident with the milkshake due to the well known cup holder incident 

Only here once

• Gold FFM
5 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

How very sensible - finally you’ve realised the error of your ways👍

Yes, it has taken a while. I really don't know why I didn't wise up earlier 😆

• Haha 1

Looking for my first Lotus - A Giugiaro design Turbo Esprit - Message me if you know of one or considering selling yours