free hit
counters
German engineering - the best! - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

• Gold FFM

Motor1 : 2021 Porsche 718 Flat-Six Models Recalled For Possible Engine Damage.
https://www.motor1.com/news/500096/2021-porsche-718-models-recall/amp/

And yet Evo would still have it as the winner!

• Like 2

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A couple of years ago I was given a "Porsche Experience" at Work. Met Tim Harvey and drove every Porker they had round silverstone. I can honestly say they were nice cars. Fast and well built. But I d

Yes, you’ll feel right at home with an Esprit. Apparently they also never go wrong. 😉

I don't care if you think it is fair or not. It's based on my view of reading countless EVO reviews where in the text the Lotus is praised for everything that is great about driving then the conc

Ouch, that’s not a cheap fix! Porsche do seem to have had more than enough serious engine faults in several of their cars. BMW too. 

• Gold FFM

At least they are dealing with the problem quickly. 

Engineering and mechanical items fail and manufacturing mistakes happen. Lotus know the early CR Evora 'boxes have a manufacturing fault but they won't assist with the cost of fixing as most failures have happened a long time after production. Fair enough I suppose for the size Lotus are (or were...) but a bit of me thinks if you know a fault has occurred in the casting of a part, you should replace it irrespective of the time-frame. 

It ain't easy making sports cars, I forgive plenty.

Justin 

• Gold FFM

@jep but Lotus don't go on and on about build quality. Lotus cars are not lauded for their build quality by every journo. Lots of people have been brain washed into thinking German is best etc.

I agree with you to an extent, but you have to make allowances for resources and scale.

Porsche know they have an issue re front suspension fixing points on the GT4 but to my knowledge they have not been recalled and all fixed.

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

Every car manufacturer has issues, it is the nature of the game. We all know why Mr Lamborghini set up his car firm.

I get your point fully and the thread headline/title. 

It appears Porsche is fixing quickly the latest slip. Perhaps they have learnt the lesson that doing the wrong thing last time does not necessitate doing the wrong thing this time. 

Far worse is the VW/Audi diesel crime - I would have shut VW down but then again, I dislike nearly everything they make so perhaps not an impartial view. 

Justin 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, jep said:

Far worse is the VW/Audi diesel crime - I would have shut VW down but then again, I dislike nearly everything they make so perhaps not an impartial view. 

At the height of dieselgate, when i drove past the VW dealer I used to shout out cheating bXXXXXXX - but not too loudly!. Any of that groups cheating products should have had more action taken against them in the UK. Imagine the problems if JLR had done this - what the EU would have done.

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

Yep. And we paid as UK taxpayers via the two scrapage schemes Labour introduced to put millions of diesels on the road. VW should be forced to replace all those cars FOC. 

Justin 

13 hours ago, C8RKH said:

And yet Evo would still have it as the winner!

I don't think that's fair. 

So Porsche bought a batch of faulty con rods, hardly worth EVO demoting it's performance.

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

Good job it wasn’t Lotus that bought and used the faulty parts, EVO would have had reason to demote the Lotus of which ever model! 

Like anyone expects a Lotus to win a straight fight with a Porsche in any EVO comparison review, stopped reading the Porsche (EVO) sales magazine years ago.

• Like 1

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own a true British supercar the Evora GT430

• Gold FFM
7 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

Maybe the blokes at EVO just prefer Porsches.

I've heard it often said that they prefer the "advertising" fee's of certain brands. No idea if it is true or not. But there does seem to be an undeniable bias and a lot of moolah at stake for some magazines.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

I've heard it often said that they prefer the "advertising" fee's of certain brands. No idea if it is true or not. But there does seem to be an undeniable bias and a lot of moolah at stake for some magazines.

Money’s a powerful motivator, and who knows if that’s the case with EVO? You don’t bite the hand that feeds you, eh? If not, then there must be some substance to their journalistic conclusions.

I don’t like the look of any Porsche cars (apart from the original 911 Turbo which has the sexiest rear wheel arches ever, but I’ll never be able to afford one), but I simply don’t get the hatred for them on this forum. The politics of envy, perhaps?

I’ve watched Porsche racing in the world of motorsport for years, and from what I’ve seen you can never underestimate them, they have a track record that’s laudable.

The recall in the OP seems to me to be precisely what a manufacturer of their standing should be doing. I can’t see some of the run of the mill cars being recalled like that, they’d probably just wait until the engine goes bang because it’s cheaper. Even then they’d probably argue the toss that it was being unduly thrashed. 

• Like 2

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM
6 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

The politics of envy, perhaps?

I don't think so. Certainly not from me!  I have a lot of respect for what Porsche has achieved and done in the racing world (which I have acknowledged on here many times).

However, it has to be said that whilst I have met some truly lovely Porsche owners, I've met more who are just complete pompass dicks if I'm being honest. The look at me I have a Porsh-errrr brigade. So that puts me off them and results in my animosity to the brand.

The second thing for me is as per my OP - EVO (and others) start off saying we are going to find the best drivers car, laud the Lotus all through for being the dynamically best, and then for some obscure reason like cup holders or "build quality" (often disguised as every day usability) the Porsche wins, and often, not even the Porsche that was in the mix!

So in the end I just get irritated and some of that irritation spills over to the brand.

I quite like the latest boxster - looks Ok and is a good price - but I would not buy one as I'd just think every one would look at me in it and think I was a [email protected] - end of. Because that's what i think when I see a guy driving a boxster.

I wouldn't have a 911 (even  though a couple of them I really like the look of) because I would just think that every thought I was either (a) a [email protected] accountant/doctor/dentist or (b) a pretentious prick!  I know it's awful to think like this, but it is just what I think when I see the average person in an average Porsche. So I'd expect everyone else to see that if I was driving one.

Again, have said this before, but the nicest, most approachable, down to earth types I have met in a Porsche are the ones who drive the GT cars - the "real" driving enthusiasts as I describe them.  They are usually knowledgeable not just about their cars, but other cars like a Lotus and would never utter any shite about a Camry etc as they get why people buy a Lotus and respect that "most" lotus owners love driving/cars.

So definitely not the politics of envy for me. But I do observe in the press that Lotus and build quality are always together negatively, an d Porsche and build quality are normally together positively when in reality Porsche have had some howlers and not always done "what a manufacturer of their standing" should do. But that get's overlooked. Nothing gets over looked for Lotus, except the phenomenal driving characteristics. So I guess it just makes me arsey towards Porsche.

• Gold FFM
30 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

but I simply don’t get the hatred for them on this forum

I will happily slag Porsche off all day long - but based on the driving experience. Or rather, I will promote Lotus and all the benefits of hydraulic (or no assistance) steering, supple suspension and lightweight whilst using Porsche-dishing to hammer home my point. 

I own a 928 - love 'em - and have nothing but admiration for the business model Stuttgart has built. 

I understand why most car buyers go 'safe'. When petrolheads go 'safe', compromising due to a fear of costs and perceived reliability over the purity of the drive, that gets me goat. And I think this is the nub of @C8RKH point: supposed car enthusiasts being led by the nose ring (nurburgring?) to German metal. 

Justin 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Gold FFM

You found me out @jep. Guilty as charged.

As I said before, nothing against Porsche, and especially not its support of motorsport at all levels. It's just this blind faith that if it is German then it must be the best whether it be a sports car of a family wagon. Maybe once, a few decades ago where every European taxi seemed to be a Merc with a million miles on the clock and still going strong, but not now.

• Love 1

• Gold FFM
2 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Maybe once, a few decades ago where every European taxi seemed to be a Merc with a million miles on the clock and still going strong,

Yeh...but they were diesel and cost a fortune for that wunderbuild. Merc had to ditch that business plan in the 90s...and, my, how later cars rusted like an unprimed hull in sea water. 

Justin 

• Like 1

Point taken about journo bias. But, to be fair, it only affects 190 cars as the 6 cyl 718s now represent a niche. Pales in comparison to Ford putting the wrong head gasket in thousands of Mk 3 RS Focuses (Foci?), most of which were failing before it was made right. :rolleyes: The list is endless. We have a Hyundai Santa Fe that's had so many engine recalls, the power train warranty is almost unlimited.

• Gold FFM
25 minutes ago, yeller77 said:

Point taken about journo bias. But, to be fair, it only affects 190 cars as the 6 cyl 718s now represent a niche.

As does Lotus but they get panned no matter.

Seems the bias for Porsche is strong all over the place 🤣😂🤣😂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Seems the bias for Porsche is strong all over the place 🤣😂🤣😂

That’s true and the Journo bias is spectacular. 3 years ago got talking to Chris Harris at one of Top Gear filming days. I reckoned about every 20th word he spoke involved the word Porsche and just wouldn’t hear a word against them referring to them constantly as ‘the best.’

I can appreciate them to look at and I’ve only driven 3 to compare. The second hand Boxter price is astoundingly good where you can get an ok high mileage one for £5K. That is a great entry into the Porsche market if that’s your thing. How many Lotus on the market for £5K? - not many at all.

Personally if Porsche offered me a 50% discount on a car I’d still run a mile and even if I was given one, it would have a for sale sign on. Bottom of the car pile for me.

• Like 1

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Similar experiences here in the colony. People take journo reviews as gospel, and so, perpetuate the myth.

Over here we get Japanese cars at lower price points. People seem to think price is an indicator of quality, so when they pay the exorbitant mark ups the big German manufacturers ask here, they think they have the most reliable car in the world. Google Aussie prices for the Porker range and you'll be amazed at the price premium here. Yet, naive car loving non-enthusiaats are fooled by the journo touting the famed quality. I wouldn't blame the dentist who buys one. He's just done what homework he could and bought what he was told was the best.

I'm quite brand agnostic, however my recent experiences of BMW ownership and the many faults and niggles make me wonder what the fuss is about, and if there is indeed bias by journalists. 

Throughout my early years of car ownership I had to buy more affordable Japanese cars. The thing is, I don't recall many quality issues for any Toyota, Honda, Mazda I ever purchased.

Some media outlets do hint that they at times are no longer invited to events or provided latest product if there are too many negative reviews of the previous product. You would think journalistic integrity would prevail.

I haven't driven too many Porsches but the ones I have driven have been great. Though I don't understand the blind fanatic fanboi following of some people.

As previously stated, all manufacturers have faults and well done Porsche USA for issuing recalls. Perhaps we should be pushing journos toward unbiased reviews by boycott. In the modern age, this also means YouTubers. 

1 hour ago, yeller77 said:

Pales in comparison to Ford putting the wrong head gasket in thousands of Mk 3 RS Focuses (Foci?), most of which were failing before it was made right. :rolleyes: 

Ford Pinto... need I say more?

• Gold FFM
51 minutes ago, r3nault said:

Ford Pinto... need I say more?

EMS? Need I say more?  Funny how when you have a go at Porsche, even on  a Lotus forum, the content get's skewed to look at how bad everyone else is. Is this unconscious bias or conscious bias again in favour of showing Porsche in the best light?

It seems some brands can just do no wrong or turn out a turkey.

I have an exige on order here in Australia but honestly didn't even go into the Porsche dealership. Not because of brand, image or quality concerns but purely because of the price!

A Cayman gts 4.0 starts from about £115000 here before any options. It's more than £30000 more than an exige 390 and I wasn't going to settle for another 4 cylinder (replacing a 4c). 

I just can't see value in spending that little bit more. Don't even ask what a 911 starts at here!

• Like 1