free hit
counters
changing gearbox mounts - procedure? - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

changing gearbox mounts - procedure?

Hi all,

I'd like to get some tips on how to change the gearbox mounts as mine are old and would probably do with a new set, that I have ready.

So, as I understand it, there seems to be a few methods for this:

1/ removing top nut, washer and the two gearbox mount frame bolts (M8) and then lifting the gearbox.

2/ as no. 1, but also involves removing the lower strut to each hub. Something that I'd like to avoid, as I would need to re-ballast and redo all bushings etc.

3/ ?

I tried no. 1, and lifting the gearbox from below by means of a piece of wood and my low bed floor jack. No good, as the engine, exhaust and actually the whole car lifts as well.

So, what is the good method, if I don't want to change it's center bolts as well (the one that goes right through and is blocked by inner end of the lower strut)?

Kind regards,

Jacques

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would not be overly concerned with removing the bolt from the lower suspension strut.  Everything should go back plenty close enough to not ness up the alignment or Corner weighting.  Unless the bus

From experience, it’s easier to put the long bolt in for the left hand side mount before you fit the manifold. 

Without going into a discussion as to why the bolts are orientated the way they are.........

The head of the lower link bolt stops the gearbox mount bolt from being removed, correct? I am not sure if there's enough clearance between the gearbox and the rear chassis crossmember to lift it high enough, so that could be worth checking first.

But in your situation, I would consider supporting the gearbox from below, removing the exhaust frame if required, and unbolting both left and right gearbox mounting brackets. Renew the mounts and reverse procedure to finish off.

Margate Exotics.

Thanks Ian. I was also thinking of removing the two aluminium gearbox supports (stays), so I could try to minimize the need to lift the whole gearbox. As you say, it may be required to remove the exhaust frame.

I'll report back here, once I find out.

Thanks!

Kind regards,

Jacques

I would not be overly concerned with removing the bolt from the lower suspension strut.  Everything should go back plenty close enough to not ness up the alignment or Corner weighting.  Unless the bushings are completely gone.  In that case the alignment is moving around anyway.

• Like 1

So, because it took so long time and the weather was really nice yesterday, so I had to leave it and drive out in the sunset; I then did the left side gearbox mount yesterday and the right hand side this evening. All good now. I've summarized the steps I did over on my own build thread "Little Red Riding Hood".

Nope, all new bushings, bolts, shims, full geo, the lot. Just need two pin up girls to sit in the car, while I tighten the bushing-bolts.

so, next up is changing engine mounts. Do people use the standard items, or is there something to be gained here?

And to those who run an alunox exhaust manifold: do you have enough space for the left side engine mount bolt to pass up and out? Or can for example the left side be solved by supporting the engine and then loosen the central bolt and also remove the engine mount stay from the engine block, by removing the bolts and swing/turn/flip/tilt it out and away? (there's not much space to maneuver things below the alunox exhaust manifold, hence the question).

Kind regards,

Jacques

Can't that left side bolt be withdrawn high enough to fit the mounts?

6 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

From experience, it’s easier to put the long bolt in for the left hand side mount before you fit the manifold. 

Also, be sure to check the security of the three bolts fixing the long mount to the engine block.  Have seen some of them pulled out of their threads. 👀 :thumbdown:

Each job has additional consequences...:shuriken:

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

When they’re worn?

I don’t remember seeing a factory recommendation anywhere. I suppose it depends on how many miles you cover.

Margate Exotics.