free hit
counters
Cylinder 3 misfiring once engine heats up ?? 1975 Elite. - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Cylinder 3 misfiring once engine heats up ?? 1975 Elite.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Could be valve clearance, actually, hope it is because that's not as bad to solve. Just cam belt, cam tower off rather than whole head. If you want to diagnose further before doing that, put comp

Thanks chillidoggy  ... tried that ! ... still missing when hot ! ... all new HT leads, new electronic module in distributor, complete engine rebuild ! ... new carb kits and fully reconditioned, new plugs, ... getting to think it a valve issue as it only occurs once engine is up to temp !

6 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

When you say 'missing', how have you determined that it's No.3?

compression tests on all 4 when they are up to temp  ... 3 is low when hot !!  all 4 are same when cold !!

Which I would suggest points to something internal rather than an external issue. Seems to me like it's cylinder head off time, at least!

But don't just take my word for it, if you wait, I'm sure there will be other knowledgeable chaps along to give you their views, too.

Margate Exotics.

Could be valve clearance, actually, hope it is because that's not as bad to solve. Just cam belt, cam tower off rather than whole head.

If you want to diagnose further before doing that, put compressed air down the bore (spark plug hole) while all valves should be closed. Where the air goes tells you the fault, exhaust = exhaust valves/shims, carbs= inlet valves/shims, appears out of dipstick tube = rings, out of coolant = gasket or worse.

• Like 2