free hit
counters
Power washed car, now boot is full of water again - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Power washed car, now boot is full of water again

I had my boot "Fully Adjusted" in November. The dealer told me thats as much as they could do.

However, after cleaning my car the boot is full of water again. To such a point that the "Ridges" under the carpet are full of water on the right and left sides. Not doing the Electric cable that was under water much good either!

I now have a warning sign up saying my boot is open when it isn't!!

Since I got the car the boot has had issues with water ingress and no matter how many times I get it looked at it hasn't been fixed.

I understand this is a common issue especially as the S1 has the air grills into the back.

Is there any way at all to stop this or is it something you live with?

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Part 20. £15 quid + VAT, problem solved. Worked for me at least. They've even called it a Weather Seal to give you a clue :)

10_11medium.gif

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Thanks, I assume its easy to fit over the existing seal?

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

No, that would be really hard. Take the existing seal off, throw it in the bin and fit the new one. You won't even need a spanner so can probably do it yourself :thumbsup:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Do.....it......yourself. ??? I'm confused. Does this involve paying someone to do it for me because I don't understand "Do it yourself".

• Haha 1

Probably spent too much of its early life in Scottish weathet

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

If you can still manage to put your own socks on, you can manage this. 

Evora NA

Socks? 🤨

• Gold FFM

the chap i bought the car off drilled a whole in the boot lid in a prescribed place and apparently cured the problem ??? maybe he installed the seal too ? not sure

• Haha 1

Yep there was an official fix, no I'm not joking, where you drilled holes in the boot floor. At least then any water that got in could get out. Worked a treat. You can try putting chalk on your seal and closing the boot, if thee are any areas that don't touch then it will be obvious.

• Gold FFM

hmm so the chap i bought the evora from said he had carried out the "official fix" which was one drill point in the centre of the inside of the boot lid, he stated it had fixed the issue but since ive had it i employ people to follow me in the car with large umbrellas in case it starts to rain ! 😁 (our bmw e91 had a pond in the battery compartment and stopped us from going to the airport bout 18 months ago so not only a lotus issue)

I fixed mine as follows.. Run a hose over the boot for a few mins to force it to leak then open the boot lid and look at the seal.  If it's leaking it'll be wet on the top of the seal where it isn't squished up tightly against the boot lid. You can tighten it by screwing the rubber feet in on each corner.  If you adjust it lots then you might need to adjust the boot lock mech down as well to keep it aligned.

Bear in mind the boot lid might end up sitting a fraction lower than the wings when you are done.  If that worries you can instead take off the boot seal and pack out the slot before refitting so it sits a fraction higher. Something like washing line string would probably do.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Join the gang Tony my boot like an aquarium 

however I don’t if I have fish breeding in my boot at present as since last two months the boot can’t open and I fear the AA man might had yanked too hard on the emergency cable 😳

I won’t bother using a jet spray I think it’s too harsh on bodywork decent hose and shampoo will clear most grime ! Hear me car detailing guru ! Lol 

• Gold FFM
19 minutes ago, Cdm2018 said:

I fear the AA man might had yanked too hard on the emergency cable 😳

Get another person - one of you jiggle the release under the rear seats - the other wobble at the boot lid.

Only here once

• Gold FFM
4 minutes ago, Cdm2018 said:

Barry

Good idea might try that but I fear if I get it open but then can’t close it ? 

Won’t happen chap - you can apply some white grease to the cable and latch mechanism at the boot end - simulate shutting the boot latch with a screwdriver. Get it freed up and working again - they do stick

Only here once

I pressure-wash my early NA all the time and it never leaks - weird that this sounds so bad for some others.

The seal around the top looks mighty chunky and as Bibbs says is beyond easy to put on/take off - must be worth a try/ £15.

Nearly 40 years ago the Transport Manager where I worked was buying  Karcher Industrial Quality Pressure Washers for the 18 garages under his control but found buying 20 was considerably cheaper per unit. Said to me he was buying one for private use, would I like one at that discounted price to make the 20.  Seemed an expensive buy but I did get many attachments including a long lance with an angled head which is great for de-salting the underside of vehicles and 'adding lightness' to wheel-arches - what a load of muck comes off.  40 years on it seems a bargain, only problem is that all connections are screw thread, not the bayonet of today's domestic use products.

It operates at 180 bar and the handbook, translated from German, warned that people and animals should not be washed as the water will penetrate the skin AND water will be forced through any door or aperture seals if used without a thinking brain about the angle and force of the water.

My technique for cleaning my Launch Edition is Karcher the wheelarches and body below the waist line, then stand back and spray 'a mist' over the rest of the car. Bucket & sponge over the whole car and then clean off using a mist from a distance.  Let it dry and then I do my 'detailing' ... which is to go back and redo any bits I missed. 🤣  Never had any water inside or in the boot and even without the rubber seal the upstand lip looks considerable so it's beyond me how water gets in ... or is it an airflow issue?

After washing I get a shovel and clear up the drive of the muck that came off the wheelarch  liners. I guess the felt material was chosen for sound insulation but mud seems to stick to it like the proverbial sh** to a blanket! Oh for some hard plastic ones like my M100 Elans, dirt doesn't cling and dead easy to wash..

• Like 1

Phil           Leave me alone I know what I'm doing - I think.