free hit
counters
Pipe clips and brake line unions... - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Pipe clips and brake line unions...

• Gold FFM

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me where I can get some of these (they hold the water and coolant pipes to the body or frame at various points and come in different sizes)...

IMG_9993.thumb.jpg.24e819188488e8304c133ea78d82c2cd.jpg

Also when making brake lines, the male flares appear to be DIN flares but there doesn't seem to be a female DIN flare, would these be SAE double flares or am I an idiot?

types_of_brake_line_flares_1024x480_309d73a54466c33bdcbd46a40744f637ed9fc6f4.jpg.5aeb9f7fd461d67b41a27c4000408ac7.jpg

Finally does anyone know where I can find suitable M10 female to female adaptors in stainless steel? There are plenty in zinc plated steel but I can't find any in Stainless. Even a machine shop that can make them would be a welcome steer.

cheers

-Chris

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

McMaster-Carr in the USA sells the plastic clips (called P-Clips)

A bit of Googling for sources near you would certainly find some replacements. You can buy them in all different sizes.

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

• 3 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM
On 26/04/2021 at 13:38, CarBuff said:

McMaster-Carr in the USA sells the plastic clips (called P-Clips)

A bit of Googling for sources near you would certainly find some replacements. You can buy them in all different sizes.

Hi Atwell, I couldn't find these clips in the McMaster-Carr website and I don't think these are P-Clips because they are open ended (although I could be completely wrong on that front), if you have a link to some I would be very grateful. At the moment I have resorted to ordering some sheep plastics and may have to make some myself. I am trying nylon and polypropylene to start with hoping they exhibit the correct properties. 🙂 

You seem to be correct, JAE suggested I use McMaster for the broken ones on our Esprit but I hadn't got A Round Tuit.

I looked at SJ, Lotus used them in newer models like Elises. Found Lotus OEM vendors that sell them in several countries, too.

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

As for the brake pipe ends, I think the mating face of DIN and SAE is identical, the difference being the part inside the union. My flaring kit has different clamping plates for SAE and DIN (either convex or flat), but only one kind of insert for the mating face.

BTW, nice work making those open-ended P-clips!

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• 2 weeks later...