Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus Emira - Page 26 - Emira Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Emira

au-yt

Can’t see the connection to a Capri at all but  also struggling to see whatever it is about Emira that everyone thinks is such a big deal. Most excitement seems to be around its looks and price which is still tbc. I’m not convinced it’s actually that great looking nor actually any better looking than than the Evora which was often criticised by Lotus types for its high roof line, the Emiras is higher still. Fair enough for older Evora owners or those who have outgrown their Elise/Exige but what actually is a recent Evora Sport/GT owner getting out of swapping over at great cost to change?

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
2 hours ago, jimichanga said:

... also struggling to see whatever it is about Emira that everyone thinks is such a big deal. Most excitement seems to be around its looks and price which is still tbc. I’m not convinced it’s actually that great looking nor actually any better looking than than the Evora which was often criticised by Lotus types for its high roof line, the Emiras is higher still. Fair enough for older Evora owners or those who have outgrown their Elise/Exige but what actually is a recent Evora Sport/GT owner getting out of swapping over at great cost to change?

By the time the v6 manual non-FE comes out, it's likely that 2016 Evora 400s will be starting from the high £30ks - low £40ks, meaning the cost to switch up to a new architecture*, better-built** and nicer-looking*** car that is otherwise fairly comparable, would be in the £40-50k bracket, probably. Then again, they'd be chopping in a 7-year old car for a brand new one.

* I don't completely buy the "it's all new" argument; yes, sure, it's not the same architecture as the Evora/Exige but it's hardly light years ahead in construction or anything, is it? I mean, we're still talking bonded/extruded aluminium tub, and the engine/gearbox and steering/suspension aren't going to be all that radically different/better, are they?

** Of course, it remains to be seen if it is better-built. When watching the C4 documentary that followed the British GP, am I the only one that was wincing a little at the idea of shifting seamstresses with a lifetime of experience in stitching leather, into engine assembly... without introducing the risk of quality control problems? 

*** I think the Emira is a cracking-looking thing, but I'd love to see it parked next to a Evora GT410 just to see if it has really moved the game on as much as you'd think. IMHO, the blue colour (and maybe the lighting) on the Goodwood show stand made the crease that leads to the air intakes look a little less defined than in various photos. I think the Emira will be quite colour sensitive when it's on the road...

Edited by ewand
  • Like 1

I’ve seen the Emira in real life and still prefer the Evora to look at, particularly the later GT cars. Clearly in a minority but Emira is not what I was hoping for after seeing the teasers. High roof line makes it less sleek than I thought a 2 seater was going to be but electric seats take up a lot of space and have to be mounted higher which also makes getting in and out easier of course. Shame because that’s one thing they can’t change for lighter faster models to come.

Which of these gizmos do people actually want? I accept that many non Lotus people need this stuff before they even consider a car but it’s a surprise to discover that anyone here wants that stuff because buying a Lotus has until now been a sign of having other priorities. Having owned modern cars with the latest tech I’ll say radar cruise is useful, just better cruise control really but all the rest is undesirable in a pure drivers car for me as are illuminated cup holders.

Edited by jimichanga

1 hour ago, jimichanga said:

I’ve seen the Emira in real life and still prefer the Evora to look at, particularly the later GT cars. Clearly in a minority but Emira is not what I was hoping for after seeing the teasers. High roof line makes it less sleek than I thought a 2 seater was going to be but electric seats take up a lot of space and have to be mounted higher which also makes getting in and out easier of course. Shame because that’s one thing they can’t change for lighter faster models to come.

I read somewhere that the Emira has a lower hip point for the driver than the Evora. Electric seats or not, I hope that is correct as the Sparcos in the Evora 410 I drove were perched up way too high for me. Is the Emira roof any higher than the Evora? Both look great to my eyes BTW, but the Emira moves the game on in design terms.   

4 hours ago, jimichanga said:

but what actually is a recent Evora Sport/GT owner getting out of swapping over at great cost to change?

Nothing much,. I have always maintained the Emira is a dilution of the previous models. I completely get not selling a previous model to get an Emira.

For me, it is a wonderful dilution and a true competitor to the Cayman, 911, F-Type, etc.

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

45 minutes ago, jimichanga said:

Which of these gizmos do people actually want? I accept that many non Lotus people need this stuff before they even consider a car but it’s a surprise to discover that anyone here wants that stuff because buying a Lotus has until now been a sign of having other priorities. Having owned modern cars with the latest tech I’ll say radar cruise is useful, just better cruise control really but all the rest is undesirable in a pure drivers car for me as are illuminated cup holders.

Not so much what people want but what is legally required these days. Having said that a proper infotainment system and more creature comforts will sell the car to a wider audience and sell more cars. Lotus cannot continue at current sales levels.

I have owned Lotus cars despite the lack of these creature comforts, not because of it.

Edited by gregs24
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jimichanga said:

I’ve seen the Emira in real life and still prefer the Evora to look at, particularly the later GT cars. Clearly in a minority but Emira is not what I was hoping for after seeing the teasers

Fair enough. 

I suspect I represent the majority, who have the money available, and see this as a chance to get a thoroughly modern, comfortable car based on a motorsport brand that will absolutely be brilliant to drive. I also think it is one of the best looking cars this century and a LOT different from the Evora as a total package, as in how the inches here and there, the roofline, etc, have transformed he car into supercar looks.

49 minutes ago, jimichanga said:

but all the rest is undesirable in a pure drivers car

Correct. Nobody is arguing any more than this is a 'pure drivers car' anymore. In some peoples' words, Lotus has 'sold out' and most of us now acknowledge it was the right thing to do.

I look at this as a new car myself. As if somebody has come in, bought the Lotus brand name and made a new car based on an existing car.  Oh, that is exactly it :)

They could have bought the company and called it 'Eclipse Cars' and people will be saying the same thing - it;s a watered down, heavier car based on the Evora for the masses.

Just for clarification I think the Emira is a fantastic car and envy and respect all of you early adopters. The only reason I have not put my hat in the ring with a deposit is due to my personal circumstances.

I have a double garage, so can have a maximum of two fun cars. My wife’s and my own daily drivers sit outside in front of the garage doors. At least one of these fun cars has to be able to transport a family of four. Since our teenage boys have now outgrown the back seat of an Evora, this duty now falls to our Ferrari Mondial T cabrio, which has considerably more room for rear seat passengers than an Evora.

This means that my 2+2 Evora GTE is now effectively a 2+0, or maybe a 2+1 at a pinch. Anyway, this basically means I would have to sell the GTE to justify buying an Emira to the family. I just can’t bring myself to do that. I might reconsider whenever the super Emira is launched, but I guess there will be bun fight to get your name down on one of those.

• Like 2

Mondial Cab! Nice. They look soooo much better than the coupe. Look so elongated.  They have aged well and an epic classic 'family car'.

Its 348 based isnt it? Is it an engine out job on servicing? I always liked the rossa with crema. So rare now. People never talk about them.

44 minutes ago, Evotion said:

Correct. Nobody is arguing any more than this is a 'pure drivers car' anymore. In some peoples' words, Lotus has 'sold out' and most of us now acknowledge it was the right thing to do.

I look at this as a new car myself. As if somebody has come in, bought the Lotus brand name and made a new car based on an existing car.  Oh, that is exactly it :)

They could have bought the company and called it 'Eclipse Cars' and people will be saying the same thing - it;s a watered down, heavier car based on the Evora for the masses.

That is quite a statement! I fear some of that is true (just see who is at the helm in their latest (and first Emira's) commercial. Let's just see how much room the current team has to still make the new cars feel like a Lotus.

So far they seem to have won a battle. The fact that the Emira is there is probably just a testament to the resilience of the (former and current) team at Lotus that pushed for the Evora. After putting together the Evora and seeing it "not reach its sales objectives" they have pursued a similar, if watered down, route.

I "just" own an Evora, so I am not a "proper" fan, but it is still purer than most other cars I have come accross and a very exciting car to drive.

I think it is a good thing that the Emira takes over where the Evora set the path but we will have to wait and see what it really ends up being.

I don't think all is lost for the "true" Lotus fans. The Elise came after the Elan M100 after all.

For me, it will all depend on how well the Emira sells and how strong will Hethel be within the new "global" Lotus.

Yeah, lets not forget that those looking for the original 'authentic' add less weight cars are still able to get nearly new El/Ex/Ev cars which are fabulous.

The success so far, in terms of interest/deposits, has proven Lotus to be right thus far. New to Lotus prospects and Cayman prospects are flocking to it. 

This justifies their pivot and it will still be an 'excellent drivers car'.

@duncx @Mark030358i think i can testify having had a very fast (passenger) ride up the hill, the Emira  is certainly a Lotus and rightly wears the ACBC badge.

• Like 1

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own since new a true British supercar the Evora GT430

did you video it @DarrylV8?

So you felt a decent push back into the seat?  

Nice. We should see them rise in prices at some point.  Seeing the engine out makes me wince. Remind me of the 355. 

And,looky looky.. an R5 Turbo!!  I had one in Red as my first ever company car. I was young, foolish, chipped it up and blew it up 😁

The company refused to replace it like for like so i spent 4 months or so having to drive around in some fleet Saab rubbish. Oh well.

2 minutes ago, Evotion said:

And,looky looky.. an R5 Turbo!!  I had one in Red as my first ever company car. I was young, foolish, chipped it up and blew it up 😁

The company refused to replace it like for like so i spent 4 months or so having to drive around in some fleet Saab rubbish. Oh well.

That’s a super rare LHD only R5 Turbo 1. That one’s been fully restored and is worth close to £100k today. I don’t think you could chip them up. No ECU. Bosch K Jetronic mechanical fuel injection and Garret T3 turbo. They came as 160bhp standard, 185bhp with denser intercooler and higher boost and finally 210bhp with some internal tweaks. Not bad for a 1.4 litre pushrod engine. I had the mechanically identical Turbo 2 successor for 14 years with 185bhp kit.

Ah, nah, mine was the standard one. I did like the Turbo 1 and 2. IIRC the steering wheel came off!

A bit later when I was doing well I actually went on to buy my dream car outright which was a MINT low-mileage Lancia Delta HF Integrale Evolution 2 (94 plate) in Giallo.  Bloody loved that car. People would go ballistic over it. Blew up the bottom end on that one - repaired under warranty (mostly). I miss that car. Yeah, yeah, I know...  also a 100k car now. 😄

My boss at the time as a company car got an Audi Quattro Sport!!  The SWB Quattro. Company car!! Nice.  I bet he wished he kept that too.

My first company car was a Vauxhall Astra 1.7D “Merit”. No power steering, no turbo, no air con, no electric windows, in fact nothing of any merit whatsoever. It also needed an oil change every 3000 miles. What good is that if you’re driving 50,000+ miles p.a.? That’s 17 services per year!

9 minutes ago, Evotion said:

Ah, nah, mine was the standard one. I did like the Turbo 1 and 2. IIRC the steering wheel came off!

A bit later when I was doing well I actually went on to buy my dream car outright which was a MINT low-mileage Lancia Delta HF Integrale Evolution 2 (94 plate) in Giallo.  Bloody loved that car. People would go ballistic over it. Blew up the bottom end on that one - repaired under warranty (mostly). I miss that car. Yeah, yeah, I know...  also a 100k car now. 😄

Here’s one of each at a local classic car show a few years ago.

viCZkLC.jpg

• Gold FFM

spacer.png😉

• Like 1
  • Love 1

My Lotus History - 1998 Elise S1 (sold) - 1993 Esprit S4 (sold) - 2004 Elise S2 111S (sold) - 1995 M100 Elan S2 (sold) - 2014 Evora S IPS Sports Racer (sold) - 2023 Emira i4 First Edition V6 Auto (Touring Chassis, Hethel Yellow, Full Black Pack, Black Alcantara /Yellow Stitch interior and Steering Wheel, Yellow Calipers, Privacy Glass, Tracker)

Totally get the reaction to Emira has justified the strategy to abandon the obsession with lightweight and make a Lotus available to those who may have liked the Elise/Exige but just couldn’t live with getting in and out. Why they weren’t encouraged to try an Evora remains a mystery as is how a car so similar could create such a different response but very happy for Lotus that it appears to have worked out. Just still surprised that so many here who have walked past the likes of the Cayman and paid more for an Evora or Exige think so much of it too. Appreciate that is just another measure of its success that it seems to be appealing to both current Lotus owners as well as those new to the brand. I just figured weight and purity meant more to people here. Right now is an amazing time for a Lotus fan with disposable income as you have the choice of last of the old school or first of the new school. In theory everyone should be happy. I don’t believe they have done enough to move the car on from Evora at least not in ways that appeal to me. As the last ever ICE Lotus that feels like a missed opportunity for a next level drivers car. Hopefully that will still come before the last ICE Emira rolls out of Hethel.

Edited by jimichanga
  • Like 1