Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus Emira - Page 28 - Emira Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Emira

au-yt

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

A run for their money on looks for sure. It’s super car looks for sports car money, that’s the USP Lotus can leverage over the likes of Porsche. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, bosshog said:

it would of been killer if they have upped the performance (I’m basically talking torque rather than bhp) 

I heard from a Lotus official, as the time, that they were spending a LOT of time on getting Torque on the V6 to where they want it. To me this infers more of it and better placed in the rev range which should therefore be an improvement over the Evora.

Or if not 'better' then at least more suitable for the car the Emira is trying to be.

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

I'd like Lotus to clarify the weight in due course.

I was under the impression that the circa 1400kg figure is EU din with the 75kg driver allowance included.

My manual Evora 400 was stated as 1395kg din, without (I assume) the 75kg allowance.

I think the Toyota V6 is relatively light for a 6 pot, so the I'm not sure how much less the AMG version with DCT will actually be.

Based on the 1400kg figure used so far, a 70kg weight differential between the 4 and 6 cylinder cars would make them comparable to the weight of the Evora 400 it would seem. 

• Like 1

We have been told by Matt Windle directly that Emira would be lighter than Evora ‘without all the additions’ clearly it’s not lighter than the Evora with the additions. Lotus is soon to be an electric EV maker and keen to distance itself from lightweight track cars. Emira will soon be the lightest car Lotus makes!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bravo73 said:

It’s not. 

Do you know any design details about the chassis? (real question, that would be interesting if you are allowed to share any info)
As for me I don't know any details on the Emira chassis, I just wanted to say that just because it's made in the same material and looks about the same doesn't mean it hasn't improved (eg the composite chassis from the 80s and what is made now, or just a regular steel monocoque from a 70s car and what is done now ... it's basically the same, except it couldn't be more different). Just the building tolerances might make a huge difference for instance.

15 hours ago, Likuid said:

Toyota V6 and not even attempting to take it beyond what we have already seen is questionable to me. Makes me think very little investment was put into the Emira.

Well, the regulations evolve and they may have wanted to alleviate the CO2 emissions for instance. It's a real issue here in France for instance, it makes basically any affordable sports car ... unaffordable.

It's not always about the engineering. I am sure the engineers would have been happy to built a 600bhp engine if they could.

1 hour ago, jimichanga said:

We have been told by Matt Windle directly that Emira would be lighter than Evora ‘without all the additions’ clearly it’s not lighter than the Evora with the additions. Lotus is soon to be an electric EV maker and keen to distance itself from lightweight track cars. Emira will soon be the lightest car Lotus makes!

It could be lighter......than a 400 if not a 410.

I think it comes down to the method of weight measurement and my understanding is that Lotus have confirmed that the 1400kg figure is DIN EU and not DIN which the 4×× cars were calculated at.

• Gold FFM
8 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Just don’t let the cat out the bag just yet though @Dan E - the i4 emira will have more bhp than any V6 version🤫

It is what Lotus is all about isn’t it having a small engine and handling like a dream. Funnily enough took the wifes 335i BMW Grand Coupe thing today, mainly because the van was blocked in by the builders,  god knows how much that thing weights and what BHP it has, but I needed to get to screwfix (again) before it closed stuck it in sport and you could argue no one needs anything faster than that. I hate BMWs but I have to say it was pretty good apart from you have to push the off button twice to turn it off I mean wtf 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Giniw said:

It's not always about the engineering. I am sure the engineers would have been happy to built a 600bhp engine if they could.

Makes you wonder where Lotus would be if Geely bought them 10 or 15 years ago. At this point makes it hard to justify doing a high HP ICE car when electric is on the horizon. I think this kind of makes my point though, Geely obviously didn't want to invest a ton into the Emira with electric coming soon. Hopefully Lotus will get everything they can out of the AMG before ICE is gone forever. I really wanted manual, but if the AMG is meant to eventually exceed the V6 then I may wait and see. At least the AMG is DCT and not a torque converter.

2022 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing (MT) ◄ 2017 Lotus Evora 400 (SOLD) ◄ 2013 Lotus Evora S (SOLD) ◄ 2005 Lotus Elise (SOLD) ◄ 1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 (SOLD)

I think to some extent it depends what you are coming from.

Clearly on public roads 400 or 600 Bhp is neither here nor there, but that doesn't stop people from buying 700bhp + supercars

Some Evora owners, particularly those with 4xx series cars, were looking for something that moved the game on a bit more. 

Personally I'd have been happy to see the Emira with 450 + bhp, 25mm lower (now that rear seats are gone) and 50mm longer, with more boot space.  Almost competition against a McLaren 540C.  Obviously with a price north of the 75k muted for the V6, but still well under 100k.

Ultimately though, it doesn't really matter what I want, as this appears to be an exercise primarily in capturing Cayman owners and you have to say that, with the response so far, Lotus seem to have got things right with the Emira.

In my sales blurb for the 400, Lotus said that the 400 was two thirds new from the Evora S, so I'm not surprised by their statement that the Emira is ALL new. 😉

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Evotion said:

I heard from a Lotus official, as the time, that they were spending a LOT of time on getting Torque on the V6 to where they want it. To me this infers more of it and better placed in the rev range which should therefore be an improvement over the Evora.

Or if not 'better' then at least more suitable for the car the Emira is trying to be.

Who told you that? Don’t think the box can handler much more torque reliably.  Evora in GT430 is only marginally more (325vs306). It would be great it was 370 or more.

More evidence towards @Likuid point about Geely being focused on future EV cars. If Lotus were starting from scratch with hundreds of millions to spend they would surely address V6 gearbox. Maybe use a newer version of Toyota’s V6 or some other V6. Also no benefit to keeping an engine position compromised for a 2+2 for a 2 seater. Emira is a stop gap and step down as a performance car for many recent Lotus buyers. Far too soon to be talking about all these improvements in quality absolutely essential that they achieve this but it’s only a claim at this stage.

Edited by jimichanga

13 hours ago, Dan E said:

I really don’t get this thing about bhp it is madness when you think about it, the only car I have owned and used on the track was my S1 Elise and it was nothing short of perfect with 118bhp. 6 months ago I went out with @Bibs in his Evora I have no idea with the mods he has or what bhp it has but I can tell you that was way quick enough for the road and probably most tracks . 

When I done the lotus academy I was third quickest on the day, then I went around with Alistair McQueen after he had finished his roll up and honestly I reckon he would put an S1 Elise around any track quicker than I could put a 430bhp Evora around it. Valuable lesson leant. 

that’s why I will go for the i4 and spend any other money on learning how to drive it quickly, also I like the fact that my esprit is a 4 pot and I think Colin and Mike K would approve 

AMG Emira will be way faster than you need (and Bibs Evora) so welcome to the pointless performance club.

The only benefit of 4 cyl is weight and that’s something Emira has abandoned in favour of on-trend interior tech aimed at US market. Rightly so from a business point of view but it’s not something every Lotus fan is obliged to celebrate.

Have to agree having said the same thing several times, great from a business point of view and already proven to be the right strategy for the company but doesn’t mean everyone is obliged to lose their minds over the Emira and declare it the be all and end all, best Lotus road car ever and other such hype induced mania.

3 hours ago, bosshog said:

Who told you that? Don’t think the box can handler much more torque reliably.  Evora in GT430 is only marginally more (325vs306). It would be great it was 370 or more.

ah, there is the answer then. They were not happy with it and have hopefully made some adjustments.

We will only really know when a previous V6 Lotus owner drives the Emira.

They had an opportunity to tweak a lot of the car so hopefully they have optimised as much as possible, keeping to the 'safe' 416 Hp

@jimichanga You do seem to have a vendetta against the new Emira :) but that doesn't make you wrong actually.

Many are disappointed and I do get the 'Lotus missed an opportunity' talk.

This has been discussed at length.

• Yes, it is nearer an Evora 2.0 than a NEW car
  • Yes, they have kept the power low when they could have jumped it up - and we both think that is fine for the road
  • Yes, we know they are actually focused on EV, This is where the real money is. The Emira is kinda like a taster handed out in a supermarket tempting you to buy the whole thing
  • Yes, if you love your Evora or Exige - no need to get an Emira
  • Yes, previous Lotus fans are miffed that the Lotus super low weight ethos is now a thing of the past

The frenzy is understandable though.  It just seems 'right'.  It is new, rare, a top brand and, probably most important to the masses, something new!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Evotion said:

ah, there is the answer then. They were not happy with it and have hopefully made some adjustments.

We will only really know when a previous V6 Lotus owner drives the Emira.

They had an opportunity to tweak a lot of the car so hopefully they have optimised as much as possible, keeping to the 'safe' 416 Hp

I think thats wishful thinking on the LE. Perhaps later down the road they might up it to GT430 level but thats hardly much difference.

It was not about the 'amount' of torque per se, but about getting the torque delivery perfect. This means,. I believe, changing the torque curve. They can do this to a point without worrying further about the mechanicals. 

I understood it to mean that it will be more 'driveable' as the car they intend it to be.