free hit
counters
Lotus Emira - Page 11 - Emira Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Lotus Emira

au-yt

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Well honestly if a targa or convertible version is not ready it makes sense for them to say they aren't planning on one. Look at what happened with the Evora, they claimed they would and it never happened. Whindle claimed in that video basically they didn't want to spend time on a targa or convertable right now. It probably will require a modified chassis with possibly larger sills. Since they are trying to make the car more "livable" right now, maybe they are afraid larger sills or something like that would hurt that claim. I guarantee the Emira will get a targa if it sells well. They probably did not want to put the extra engineering in right now. Plus it allows them to double dip later possibly. If someone buys a coupe then a targa comes out in 2 or 3 years and that person would prefer a targa they may be more wiling to upgrade. It's their last ICE, they may milk the Emira as long as they can (at least until 2030 most likely). Plus I also don't know if a targa or convertible requires all new crash testing, it probably does, so makes sense to wait and see how sales are.

Edited by Likuid
  • Like 1

• Gold FFM
On 03/07/2021 at 16:43, Likuid said:

Plus I also don't know if a targa or convertible requires all new crash testing, it probably does, so makes sense to wait and see how sales are.

I suspect is does, yes. Makes sense as the whole crash dynamics change.

On 03/07/2021 at 16:46, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

Lotus has always said there’d be no convertible or targa Emira.

Correct but I think people are alluding to the possibility of change at some point. If sales drop off in 2023, for example, Lotus will likely entertain a lot of things they didn't originally plan.

My gut feeling is that they won't for two reasons;  they will be concentrating ALL new resources on the EV range, and the cost involved in new approvals will be hideous and not worth it to them.

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

wb2.jpg

• Gold FFM
On 03/07/2021 at 16:46, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

Lotus has always said there’d be no convertible or targa Emira.

I think Michael has posted the definitive view on this. I think "wishing" for something you know does not/will not exist is a waste of time. Windle was quite clear - there will be no convertible Emira. I suspect if it was easy to do (for whatever reason) we would have seen it done already with the Evora.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM
20 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

I think "wishing" for something you know does not/will not exist is a waste of time. Windle was quite clear - there will be no convertible Emira. I suspect if it was easy to do (for whatever reason) we would have seen it done already with the Evora.

Not least considering that some Elises are being shipped with a 'free' hardtop at the moment 🙃 C19 has uncovered many weaknesses in the Lotus supply chain (like many other businesses). I'd like to think they planned to keep the design of the Emira 'simple' but from what I have heard, it's far from 'simple' 😄

2 hours ago, Evotion said:

My gut feeling is that they won't for two reasons;  they will be concentrating ALL new resources on the EV range, and the cost involved in new approvals will be hideous and not worth it to them.

I'd find it hard to believe Lotus would go after engineering and manufacturing a targa.  If Emira is a success; speed up EV development.  If Emira is a flop; speed up EV development. 

• Like 1

If the car is not from the UK or Italy; it's not worth talking about.

• Gold FFM
46 minutes ago, brightoncorgi said:

I'd find it hard to believe Lotus would go after engineering and manufacturing a targa.  If Emira is a success; speed up EV development.  If Emira is a flop; speed up EV development. 

Agreed. This is the real business focus

5 minutes ago, jimichanga said:

They are on record for going full electric across the range by 2025. If there’s an Emira on sale beyond that it will be the EV version.

I believe it was said that will not be an EV Emira but that there will be an EV sports car or two on a different platform, which sounds logical to me, as there are different issues in play.

wb2.jpg

I don't see any shoulder inlets like the Evora, so must be on the side or bottom. Looked like probably side based on the front side teaser we got earlier.

• Gold FFM
34 minutes ago, AK70 said:

grafik.png.50561cb0f6abb53e3d252bca22bb040f.png

Yummie...

Wow - that is the best one yet.. I must have just missed that. Was peeing around with the Evija config.

Amazing. It immediately shouts MIURA at me. Ha. That has to be the biggest compliment possible.

A little bit of Testarossa too.......

wb2.jpg

rear 3/4 panel is very Evoracative engine bay vents reminiscent of original glassback Exige V6. Improved rear viz will be essential for a more useable car so it's back to glass as predicted with obvs opportunity for carbon bits for lighter, faster models.

In Russ we trust!

Edited by jimichanga
  • Like 2

• Gold FFM

Yes, sounds like it's the second option of you couldn't get your hands on the one you should have bought.

Never mind, it's only words!

Looks like cross between Exige V6, Evora and Evija.

1 hour ago, Gashead1105 said:

I don't like the slogan, 'the other sports car. It's a bit weak/:censored:

Yeah, not the greatest. "Not just a sports car, THE sports car." would have been better.

• Like 1