free hit
counters
Lotus Emira - Page 8 - Emira Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Lotus Emira

au-yt

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

So people on here are bickering about who may be getting #1? And the person that may be getting it is not one of the people in the conversation, though he has been named? What if he didn't want to be?

Come on guys. We're better than that.

• Like 2

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

9 hours ago, Bazza 907 said:

I was told by the factory that several people are claiming to be getting No.1...

It’s simple though… the owner of no 1 will be chinese 😆

7 hours ago, ramjet said:

So people on here are bickering about who may be getting #1? And the person that may be getting it is not one of the people in the conversation, though he has been named? What if he didn't want to be?

He came on here and told us. Put his deposit down in January. That’s how we know.

2 hours ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

He came on here and told us. Put his deposit down in January. That’s how we know.

My apologies then.

I had not seen all his posts, hence my comment. (have now gone and found them)

And now, back to your regular channel. :) 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

The flow of expectations, intimations and revelations about the Emira seems to have slackened recently. Perhaps because most aspects and opinions have been explored. Or perhaps because speculations might soon be exposed as embarrassingly wide of the mark – reputations ruined!

Something safer, but as vital to the Emira's commercial success as the car itself, is that the whole “switch to a Lotus” persuasion package is able to attract the new prospective customers; those clearly not like us but who will buy a Lotus for their own reasons anyway.  Presumably they will be like us in wanting their cars to provide more than A to B transport – but not like us in having whatever further features have led to them being around in considerably greater numbers than us.

My suggestion is that, central to their additional characteristics, is a greater awareness of the importance in life of presenting to the world clear and constant evidence of ones importance, financial status and general superiority to the common man. (Hence achieving a higher reproductive rate and consequently existing in greater numbers than us.)

I am reminded of the “Class System” sketch from John Cleese, Ronnie Barker and Ronnie Corbett.  Made very clear the visible differences from Upper Class through Middle down to those who can only say “I know my place”.

An analogy stretched I suggest not quite to breaking point is a resonance with the now historic Lotus range of Evora, Exige and Elise.  Unmistakeably distinguishable in appearance and in rank.

Now the Emira - will three into one go?  Whatever the differences in technology and price across – or, more correctly “up and down” – the range, to the external general observer it’s the same car, however much paid or not paid for it. The salesman producing £100k from his annual bonus – “plenty more where that came from, old chap” - gets no greater boost to his social status than the hard-saving engineer delighted with his life-achievement buy at £50K – “had to sacrifice, but worth it”.

What will those status conscious types soon hopefully to be augmenting the pool of prospective Lotus owners make of discovering the cheapo-versions?  More than likely at some stage before handing over their cash.

“Glad I came in. Lovely car. Yes, the wife - over there looking at the fabrics - said she loves it too. Plush, goes well, masses of goodies - crazy screens! Really impressed, decent price – expect a bit of discount of course.  Glad I came in - persuaded by bloke at work who kept on at me to take a look. Lotus fanatic - has one – called an Elsie or something, small thing anyway. Said he really hoped to have an Emira soon. Can’t believe it of course – nice chap, but cars like this way out of his league.

…........…WHAT!!  How much?!!!  And looks the same??  No, I don’t care what size engine and all that stuff – can’t go fast these days anyway.  Come on sweetheart, time to go, must get on.

Thanks for info, I’ll have to think about it.

Edited by mdavies

5 hours ago, mdavies said:

An analogy stretched I suggest not quite to breaking point is a resonance with the now historic Lotus range of Evora, Exige and Elise.  Unmistakeably distinguishable in appearance and in rank.

Personally I would rather the I4 and V6 be two different models that looks different enough to be considered different cars. Call me a snob I guess, but if I am spending $50k (USD) more on a car I would not only expect it to be significantly better in performance, but also aesthetically better looking. My guess is the V6 versions will have some different visible queues to make the look more aggressive or something along with some kind of badge, but my guess is most of those will be just be more carbon and bolt-on things like barge boards, front lip, bigger scoops. etc. Maybe the V6 version would be wider as well? I hope they show all versions for the July event so we can see.

I was hoping that the V6 would be a wide body variant too but then apparently it was too costly for Porsche to continue doing this with the 911 so not much chance of Lotus doing it. 

• Like 1

I hope my post above won’t be taken badly by anyone.

If you read it, you are here - so you must be a “real Lotus person”, whatever Emira you might buy. I am raising what I see as a serious point, but perhaps my slightly-tongue-in-cheek words didn’t properly show the humorous element I intended. I hope my caricatured buyer never comes into existence!

• Haha 1

• Gold FFM
13 hours ago, mdavies said:

Something safer, but as vital to the Emira's commercial success as the car itself, is that the whole “switch to a Lotus” persuasion package is able to attract the new prospective customers; those clearly not like us but who will buy a Lotus for their own reasons anyway.  Presumably they will be like us in wanting their cars to provide more than A to B transport – but not like us in having whatever further features have led to them being around in considerably greater numbers than us.

Again, this is me. I do think I represent their ideal market.

Middle aged, reasonably well off, car/speed fanatic and have been looking at 2nd hand supercars (Lambo, Ferrari, Porsche).

THEN... I heard about a new car from Lotus. It is NEW, not an older car with more risks and I felt Lotus can be trusted to deliver a car I will genuinely love.

13 hours ago, mdavies said:

My suggestion is that, central to their additional characteristics, is a greater awareness of the importance in life of presenting to the world clear and constant evidence of ones importance, financial status and general superiority to the common man. (Hence achieving a higher reproductive rate and consequently existing in greater numbers than us.)

That is me too! 😀   It is not about showing off though BUT wanting  something different, something that stands out, something that makes me proud when it is parked up and people want to discuss it. I have always had rarer vehicles. Even my latest two bikes are 1 of 200 and 1 of 500 worldwide. If I do get a popular car then I will always get the rare model which usually means performance.

8 hours ago, Likuid said:

Personally I would rather the I4 and V6 be two different models that looks different enough to be considered different cars. Call me a snob I guess, but if I am spending $50k (USD) more on a car I would not only expect it to be significantly better in performance, but also aesthetically better looking.

No great chance of a different body. I'd expect a different standard wheel and different grills only.

I wonder if either or both will come with a Mad Wing Option? If not then they are likely holding back for a Sport version.

The V6 might be 10mm lower or so IF they offer up different suspension from the start, which I believe they will, as how on earth are they justifying the price gap with just the engine.

They might have different exhausts/tip too.

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

Ade, great to see your full-on responses to my thoughts - a weight off my mind! 😀

Look forward to your feedback on the Emira. 

• Gold FFM

I haven't heard that confirmed although it sounds logical in the respect of starting off with the big boy to make others gasp and then letting those with less money get a version of it.

However, other logic would dictate that they shift as many as possible as early as possible and that means the 4-Cyl.

I am hoping both. Actually, I am hoping the 4-cyl comes out as I will take that standard with everything deleted which might speed up my order but the V6 I am adding a kitchen sink to it so it will be mid 2022 at best.

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

kitchen sink in the car, thought we had banned slavery, (good job we are out of Euro think your other half would have you in court) washing pots while you are enjoying yourself putting car through it's paces!

• Like 1

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own since new a true British supercar the Evora GT430

It doesn't work that well. The water keeps sloshing out.

She got pretty annoyed at getting wet. :getmecoat: 

• Haha 1

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, DarrylV8 said:

washing the 4-pots while you are enjoying yourself after putting car through it's paces!

FTFY

• Haha 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Toyota launched new Supra as a six first, cheaper 4-pot followed. Same as Jag F-type among others. I have a hunch V6 Emira might not be around long, likely to be pretty loaded spec wise as a launch edition.

A35 version of AMG four more likely to keep price down and square up to Cayman S. A45S version would challenge Cayman GT4 for performance (prob price too) so perhaps will be the new hot version to take the V6’s place when they pull the plug. Plan is obvs for electric Emira asap, Maserati are doing the same thing with the MC20.

I assume their first electric sportscar won't be called Emira. They trade marked some other name not long ago. Lotus needs more than one car model. Can't call everything Emira.

7 hours ago, Likuid said:

They trade marked some other name not long ago.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT.