free hit
counters
Starter squeal - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Sometime, when I start my 98 Esprit, the starter or other makes a squealing noise almost like someone putting there fingernails on a chalk board. It does this every once and a while. It's almost like the starter is not disengaging. I was under the car last weekend changing the oil and couldn't find the starter and have not been able to find a web site that shows it

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The starter motor is at the rear of the engine in between the cylinder heads. You

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

The starter motor is at the rear of the engine in between the cylinder heads. You

2001 Esprit V8

1985 911 Carrera converted to 1974 RSR IROC race car

1967 Chevrolet Camaro SS350 convertible (goes fast and straight - limited handling!)

www.hollowayperformance.com

I assume that I will need to get a gasket set to do the job or can I use the old gaskets if I am careful?

Is there a manual that I can purchase for the Esprit that help describes the different components in the motor, body, ect?

Scott

Off topic - but that is a great photo Mike! Is that your rebuild project?

Craig

No, its an engine that Jim Young built. Unfortunately, the engine was for a project that has been stalled for some years; Would be great to see it run someday.

I should have some images of my engine rebuild in the next days.

Cheers,

Mike S

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Scott,

If you are a Lotus Esprit World (LEW) club member then the parts manuals are on-line for free http://www.clublew.co.uk/Clubpages/PartsList.html

If you are an Esprit owner, the LEW club is well worth joining. I recovered the costs with the 1st tyre order I got discounted as a member.

Regards,

Peter.

I assume that I will need to get a gasket set to do the job or can I use the old gaskets if I am careful?

Is there a manual that I can purchase for the Esprit that help describes the different components in the motor, body, ect?

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

I am getting ready to take the starter out and noticed that there appears to be a bolt that needs to be accessed from the transmission side. Is it required to take the transmission out to get at this bolt? Any advice on getting the starter out, pictures ect. If not when I remove it I will take pictures of the process.

Scott

Edited by rusty55125