free hit
counters
Brake question - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Hello all. Recently got my N/A X180 back from storage. Last service/MOT in June 2020. This years booked June 2021. I have noticed pulsation on braking. Is this warped brake discs? And should I get this seen to before the June service? Any advice much appreciated.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Rather depends on the braking system on the car. If it’s servo - it’s warped discs as a first thing to check. If it’s delco - it’s the unit is knackered 

• Like 1

Only here once

• Gold FFM

NA didn't come with ABS I think (luckily).

It could be deposits on the discs from standing too long, with a bit of luck they'll wear off with use.

Filip

• Like 2

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

This is quite typically deposits on the discs in modern cars, probably true for the Esprit as well. Might do to have the rotors given a slight skim in order to clean up.

Cheers

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

If you have vented discs JR then it may be that they have aquired so hardened deposits that should burn off with a a few heavy brake tests.

Discs are relative cheap as are pads, it would be unusual for them to warp while in storage. It could just be build up of rust on the discs except for where the pads have been during storage.  Was the hand brake on while in storage? 

Can you tell if the pulse/judder if front or rear?

• Like 1

Hand brake not on in storage - and now car has had some mileage breaks are fine. Big test will be MOT and service next week.

MANY thanks to one and all for the comments and steers. Much appreciated!

• Like 1