free hit
counters
Salvage title and export - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Salvage title and export

• Gold FFM

On my continuing search for something different I came across an interesting TVR. She's had an accident on the left rear and somebody threw some polyester at it and called it a repair... The rest of the car, including the frame, seems solid and mechanically everything seems to do its job. Price is really sharp, because of how she looks.

However, there is no V5 with the car, just a salvage title for export. I don't know if the repair was done in UK or Belgium, but the car was properly imported in Belgium with all the necessary paperwork, so that shouldn't be a problem. Our DVLA does require the previous registration (V5) and I'm not sure if the salvage title will suffice. I've asked the question to a colleague who works at the DVLA.

I did an online vehicle check and everything appears correct, but there's not much info. No MOT results recorded (probably too long ago).
I also read up on the salvage classes, but can't find a reference to a class on the salvage title. So not sure what to look for.

Any pointers much appreciated! I don't mind that she needs some work (I am looking for project cars, not concours state) but naturally want to make sure it isn't a class B or A. I assume class A can't be exported anyway.

The salvage title and a pic to give you guys an idea of what I'm tempted by.

Greetz,

Filip

TVR V5.jpg

TVR.jpg

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM
1 minute ago, Barrykearley said:

You need to do an HPI check chap - that will tell you of the loss marker 

I did, but I accidentally posted the message before it was complete with pics etc. :blush:

Full story above.

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM

It says Vic marker set. The only way you will find out what it’s been set as is HPI.

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Thanks, that helps. I guess I'll need to buy an HPI check to get anything more than on vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk

What exactly is the VIC Marker? Is that the category? Would be too logical to include that on the salvage title...

Filip

• Gold FFM

Yes it would be - I’ll txt a buddy of mine the no plate and see what flags up

• Like 1

Only here once

VIC is the old vehicle identity check for cat c cars , they used to need a vic check at a vosa centre, - I have bought 3 MG ZR's that all needed a VIC.

So it suggests a CAT C in my mind

• Like 1

the cat c vic checks were scrapped a few years ago, the police originally wanted them to check  a cloned cars getting back on the road, but in the years it was running very few cars were detected so the gov scrapped and so it saved a bit of money and red tape.

I had 2 vic checks on one of my cars as it was cat c  twice..

• Like 1

It’s an S series. Ford engine. Most all the parts are pretty cheap and easy to find. BUT the outriggers will need replacing regardless of how they appear. So factor in a body off and replacement into your repair budget. 

• Gold FFM

Thanks a lot @Barrykearley! If we ever meet (maybe at a TVR event? :getmecoat:) I owe you a beer. 

I can live with a Cat C, if my colleague can confirm registration wont be a problem I'll make an offer. €4500 would be very nice. 😎

Filip

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Gold FFM

Thanks for the link @Colin P! I think I already came across that website in my search for information on the S-series.

I'll certainly download the manuals, always very usefull when tackling a new project. 👍

Can't wait to get her home. 🙂

Greetz,

Filip

You are my hero, Last time I read from you, you had just bought a Jaguar and planned to sell an Excel to "compensate". Instead, you buy a TVR. And you can work on them, too.

Congratulations!

• Haha 1

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Arregueti said:

You are a bad influence.

Fixed that for you. 😉

Still planning to sell the Excel, the Jaaag is put to good use in the sunshine. We'll see how the TVR does, realistically I should limit myself to just the one open top car...

Filip

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Gold FFM

Filters, plugs, oil etc changed on Saturday. Cleaned the fuel accumulator, seemed to be working as far as I could tell (not blocked and holding some pressure). But still no start. When doing the spark plugs I noticed the wires weren't in the standard positions. So I took out the distributor to do the timing from scratch. Still no joy, she would fire (barely) but die again within seconds. Not the result I was hoping for.

I continued on Sunday, had another look at the plug wires and cap and decided to remove the intermediate pieces. Not sure what to think of those, the wires didn't plug straight in to the distributor cap but through some kind of extensions (I should have taken a picture). They didn't seem necessary and could only add to poor connections. So took them out, tried again and yes, she came alive. A few more attempts to get the timing better and got a stable idle, if a bit high and rich.

I'll continue my TVR adventures in my other topic and add some more pictures. Too bad I can't mark this as solved, that's only for the technical sections I think (unless I'm missing something).

Filip