free hit
counters
Engine removal crane for S4 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Engine removal crane for S4

Hi All, do you need a long reach crane e.g. Clarke CFC1000 LR to remove the S4 engine from the rear? have no room to do it from the side, or will a standard crane suffice? I would appreciate a list and comments on cranes ,with manufacturers and reference numbers,if possible, available  in UK, members have successfully used.Will your suggestion remove the engine complete ,although I am likely to separate the gearbox from the engine ?Thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I definitely needed a longer reach 2 ton engine hoist (1570mm jib) to reach the engine in my 89 Esprit. I tried the 1 ton version (1173mm reach) and that did not reach far enough.

It's much more difficult to raise the crane high enough to pull from the side. Pulling from the rear is much easier.

spacer.png

• Like 1

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

Thanks for replies so far.Dave can’t tell from your photos, is your Clarke crane, 2000 ie  2 tonne , 1000 ie 1 tonne ,1000 LR ie long reach or the oddly named CFC 100 also 1 tonne?

4 hours ago, stevefh said:

Thanks for replies so far.Dave can’t tell from your photos, is your Clarke crane, 2000 ie  2 tonne , 1000 ie 1 tonne ,1000 LR ie long reach or the oddly named CFC 100 also 1 tonne?

I have had it so long that its not a current model, however , it is the fold away type like the CFC 100 .  

Mine has a  total length is 57'' at full stretch with the jib as far as it will go out on the boom .( hole 4) .    This is measured on the flat top section from the cranked point.. 

The distance you need to span when lifting engine and box together  is circa 48'' .. this is 4'' passed the bell housing to engine joint, overlapping the engine side  .. with 1'' clearance to the bumper .. ( the bumper to back of the engine block is 43'' )  The the remaining 11'' is taken up with allowance for the protruding  hydraulic lift mechanism.. ( with a small cushion left.). 

I also use the CLL500 which helps spread the load .see pic . 

I have never had any issues moving an engine and box around on this crane.  I only split the engine and box in situ, when just the box needs removing ..  If you need the engine out it is easier to remove the lot in one go ..   

I hope this give you all the data you need to make the right choice. Sorry i can not be more specific as to part numbers , but you should be able to measure a CFC100 at your local machine mart to make comparison .. If you do this remember to allow for the encroachment of the lift mechanism at bumper height, see pic 3 by the protection sponge .. 

D   

4 hours ago, Erikl said:

Also Dave - where can I read about your charge cooler in those pics 💪

In the 412 thread pages 5 and 12 , also some detail in the feature section , 'Take an Esprit and make a few changes part III , Engine'  dated sept 2011. 

• Like 1

Does anyone know of any good step by step posts, or better still youtube on removing an Esprit engine.

Mine is just the N/A, the guy who owned it before me mentioned it was 'easy'.

I've done belts, pumps and seals before on my Excel, but too old too try these things now in situ.

I'll probably give it to a expert on this forum and spend a few quid, but there is a real satisfaction I would imagine in pulling an engine and DIY.

P.S. The only youtube videos I can find don't give any close detailing.

Thanks Dave, particularly for the measurements. I was hoping to get a lot of suggestions of makes and models known to work from the rear of the S4 , so I could pick one up secondhand. If you have one that works ,please let me know and specify whether it was for combined engine and gearbox or gearbox first , as this obviously moves the centre of gravity further forward.Thanks.