free hit
counters
How to connect a modern fuel line to do the tank pickup? - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

How to connect a modern fuel line to do the tank pickup?

Go to solution Solved by BrianK,

I'm starting down the road of replacing the original fuel line with more modern lines.  The modern lines have thicker walls (which require enlarging the pass-through holes in the chassis, I'm aware), but I'm wondering how to attach the new line to the fuel tank pickup?

It appears that the original line has a compression fitting - where the line passes through a threaded collar, that, when tightened, compresses the line around a "barb".  My new fuel hose has an OD that is too large to fit through that collar.

How have others solved this?  Ignore the collar and replace it with a clamp over the original barb? Use a small bit of old line, then a coupler with clamps on either side to connect the new line? Different banjo assembly for the tank? Some sort of adapter that replaces the threaded collar?

While I'm asking questions - I notice a bit of fuel weeping around the bajo bolt - not enough to cause a drip, but it's damp & I'm sure causing some fuel smell.  Any words of wisdom on sealing that?  I'm thinking Teflon tape on a fuel line isn't the smartest idea.

For the record, for all of the above I'm speaking about #32 in this image (under the tank):

spacer.png

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I haven't changed the fuel line before but in relation to the fuel weep at the banjo bolt, this should be cured by replacing the copper washers either side of the bolt.

• Thanks 1

Have a look at Think Automotive's website for new banjo fittings to suit your new hose.  Great site - hundreds of adapters.

Edit - sorry Brian, forgot you're not in the UK.  You must have similar suppliers over there.

Pete

• Solution

All sorted. It was silly simple - I just didn't understand how it came together until I took it apart.

What I didn't realize is that the compression fit collar is an NPT fitting that can be replaced by anything else that has an NPT thread - so it was just a matter of getting an NPT barb.  One of the parts cars at our "race shop" already had the barb in its very-corroded tank. A couple new copper washers, a bit of a clean-up, & job done.

(To be honest, I'm not sure if it's actually NPT - I got the barb out of the same spot on the parts car, so I knew it was the correct thread)

old compression fitting on old hose:

51169845294_1e851ae69b_b.jpg

Banjo assembly with new barb

51169287253_ac0cf10088_b.jpg

Assembled & sealed, ready for new hose:

51169063891_a58aab3bc2_b.jpg

• Like 2